Please help me in choosing web hosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0xyGen`

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (bluehost.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

There are many low cost hosting offers out there, including GoDaddy. The issue is that most of these hosts grossly oversell their capacity and resources. They'll promise gigabigabytes of disk space, lots of memory and huge bandwidth, knowing/hoping that most folks put up a simple web site with static content and will never come close to their allocation. If another customer on the same shared hosting goes over their limits, they mange it by robbing Peter to pay Paul. In most cases this works, but not always.

bluehost is advertising unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth, neither of which is realistic.

Do you have access to your logs (e.g. through the Control Panel) so you can at least do some analysis of who or what might be eating up resources? Moving to another host without understanding the cause might just eventually get you booted from there too.

Could you tell us something about what you're doing with the web site?

I use Dot5hosting.com.  Prepaid for two years is about $118 and you now get unlimited hosting and bandwidth (according to their ad).  I've always received good support, both online and on the phone with them. 

Steve

http://www.dot5hosting.com/dot5/index.bml

PS:  Be sure to check out the secret link on the bottom of the page...but I'm not supposed to tell you that...shhhhhh...

BTW there are many sites out there that provide comparisons of various hosting companies.

In web hosting, as in most things, you get what you pay for.  The premier web hosts in many professionals opinions are pair.com and dewahost.com.  Neither is cheap, but both have excellent records for service and support.  For inexpensive but reliable hosting, GoDaddy, as mentioned, is a good choice.

But, as Tom recommends, first analyze your current usage before looking for a new host so you know what you're going to need in disk storage and bandwidth.

I should have clarified that I have several sites (not this one) running on GoDaddy. They're static web sites and work OK for the limited use I put them to. But I've read numerous complaints (about GoDaddy), and many forum software developers warn against them.

And I have two blogs running on GoDaddy that have had nearly zero downtime over the past 2+ years.  YMMV.

I think the biggest drawback to GoDaddy for a complex web site is the lack of good logs.  You have to subscribe to the Traffic Facts feature to get access to your logs.  Without that feature, you have to use the built in web analyzer and can't download your logs for local analysis.

I would never recommend running a site as busy as the RV Forum on any hosting service like GoDaddy or 1and1, or any other cheap hosting service.  As I said above, you get what you pay for :)

Before we picked our host we looked at a rating site: http://www.hosting-review-center.com/

We chose Bluehost.com, so I'm kind of surprised you having issues.  A friend of our uses Lunarpages.com with no issues.  My nephew uses Yahoo.com, also with no issues.

Did they offer an service alternative?

I'd be a little careful who hosts the review site  ;)

Downtime isn't the complaint with GoDaddy. How many daily hits do you get on on your blogs? I'm suspecting not very many. If I'm right, GoDaddy or any of the bargain basement sardine factories will work just fine.

Ron,

Please provide some of your stats. Without those, any assessment of GoDaddy or any other hosting company is meaningless. If you have a static site with few visitors, Joe the ragman would give you adequate service. "Unlimited this" and "unlimited that" for close to free is useless, untruthful, and misleading.

We don't have a high volume traffic but also I have not been aware of any failures.  I haven't really keep a close watch recently but while I was all was good and I have no reason to think things have changed.  Like Ned indicated youse get what you pay for and in some cases it works well.

We don't have a high volume traffic...

But, what is it? My guess would be that it's miniscule, and really not relevant when choosing a new host for one that is kicking him off because of high volume.

Last night I did some interesting reading on hosting companies and the folks who sell to them. I also looked at forums for hosting companies and wannabes. Confirming what I already knew &/or suspected, this is a minefield. Overselling is a business model, and a necessary one for these folks to stay competitive. Irrespective of their ability to support their claims with hardware, many of these folks are forced to offer more incentives than their competitors, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Unlimited storage replaced terabytes in the advertising. It will be interesting to see what replaces unlimited. Infinite maybe?

Here's another web host review site, but I know nothing about them beyond what I've read on their site. Not surprisingly, when you read reviews on individual hosts, you'll see a spectrum of comments. FWIW bluehost.com received high marks from a number of sites I visited, but they also get their share of negative reviews along with the positive ones.

Here's a hypothetical article about GoogleDaddy, a fictitious company formed when Google buys GoDaddy and attempts to take over the web hosting world.

Take all this with a grain of salt. As Bob, Ned, myself and others have done, do your homework and make your best pick guess. But you still need to find out what was causing the "unlimited" server resources to be used up, or you could find yourself kicked off the next host. ("Suspend your account" is the term most of these guys use.)

I would like to add recommendation for GoDaddy for a small, non-commercial site. I have been with them for almost a year with zero downtime and no service issues. The two or three times I needed help from customer service they were prompt and mostly helpful. However, as someone else mentioned, the ability to access usage logs is non-existent unless you subscribe. In fact, I would say that GoDaddy and their competitors will nickle and dime you to death if you let them.

.... GoDaddy and their competitors will nickle and dime you to death if you let them.

That's been my experience with them. But, if someone just wants a simple web site with no frills that they don't need to manage, GD is probably just fine.

What some call nickle and diming, others call ala carte ordering :)  Why pay for features that won't be used when you can order just those that you need?  For my blogs, I don't need the detailed logs and the web analysis tools are more than sufficient.  If it keeps the cost down, I'm all for it.  Yes, GoDaddy does do a lot of promotion but it's quite easy to just skip all that.  They also are always offering discount codes that can be used to bring the costs down even lower.  Like Lee, my few exposures to GoDaddy's support have always been prompt and, more important, to the point.  For a personal web site, blog, photo album, etc. GoDaddy is tough to beat for price and service.

Back
Top Bottom