work camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanc

When we begin full timimg we will be retired but are trying to think of a way to earn extra dollars at the same time, maybe via the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions?  All the "work at home on your computer" links I have pulled up seem to be scams. Thanks.

Sorry I don't have a link on hand, but do a Google search on Workamper News.  They list workamping jobs for RVers in nearly every state.  Some are for money, others offer only site and utilities.  In addition to the magazine they publish, they also have a service which enables you to publish a resume online which employers may view.  They also send daily e-mails of upcoming job opportunities as part of that extended service. 

Our favorite workamping job was at Adventureland in Altoona, Iowa, a suburb of Des Moines.  We planned to work one summer and ended up working there six summers.  This Disney-type amusement park wants Grandmas and Grandpas to run their rides, staff their food concessions and work in their "Main Street" stores.  They employ 500 RVing couples each year, provide a modest wage, almost-free camping (beautiful park) and free electricity.  The best parts, however, are the good friends you meet and the fun you have when that many RVers are in the same campground. 

Margi

Margi - Question about Adventureland....what happens if one-half of the couple works but the other half doesn't? Is that ok or do they only want working couples?

Nanc - See's Candy hires seasonal help in their stores. A lot of people make an annual salary in a few months during the busy season.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Margi - Question about Adventureland....what happens if one-half of the couple works but the other half doesn't? Is that ok or do they only want working couples?

Thanks for that heads up, Wendy.  I should have explained further.  There are many single RVers each season at A-Land, too.  It's not restricted to couples only.  We have been gone a couple of seasons, so my information might be dated.   Our last summer there (2006) they were charging $50 per month rent if the "other half" of the couple didn't work.   At that time rates for Workamping couples were: April and May no charge, June and July $100 per month plus $6.00 tax, August and September no charge if you stayed until the park closed (last weekend in September).  The down side is the weather.  There are tornado alerts and the temps and humidity can be daunting.  The upside is there is no charge for electricity and sometimes those AC's work nearly 24/7.

Nanc - See's Candy hires seasonal help in their stores. A lot of people make an annual salary in a few months during the busy season.

We also worked three Christmas seasons for See's -- two in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and one season in Birmingham, Alabama.  Very lucrative, but hard work, too.  Tom is a retired chain drug store manager, so no problem for him and he really enjoyed being back in the Christmas season madness.  His wife, however, made her living sitting on her ample cushion in a lab and standing on those concrete slab mall floors was a real challenge.  :D  That said, See's seasonal kiosk management (east of the Rockies) is probably one of the most lucrative of the short-term workamping jobs around.

Margi

Wendy:

I see I fouled up the quote feature.  If you or someone elso on the staff could clean it up for me I would be so forever in your debt.  :D

Margi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom