EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Old Musicians  (Read 28495 times)

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
Old Musicians
« on: July 23, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »
Is there any musicans here that are fulltimers like me that would be interested in forming a country/bluegrass group that would meet and play in campgrounds for free?
Cliff

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Old Musicians
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 09:57:10 AM »
Cliff

I hope you get some responses. I sure would love to come and listen!

See photo for a couple of guys I see performing at RV shows.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 10:01:45 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »
I don't do this stuff myself, Cliff, and like Tom I hope you get some responses and are able to get a group together.

Ciao,

Doug

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »
Cliff

I hope you get some responses. I sure would love to come and listen!

See photo for a couple of guys I see performing at RV shows.

Thanks Tom,
I will keep you posted....cause old musicians never die they just ride away in their RV.

As mentioned on my home page....any of the RV songs that are there I will send a full length version mp3 by email. If you hear anything you like.....just hollar!
Cliff

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 02:25:24 PM »
I don't do this stuff myself, Cliff, and like Tom I hope you get some responses and are able to get a group together.

Ciao,

Doug

Thanks so much Doug!
Keep in touch....And just hollar if you want an Free mp3!
Thanks again
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:02:21 PM »
I play dobro and love to form jams.  I will be only sort of fulltimimg, I'll be fulltiming in an RV, but fulltime working as well.  Will be in Zephyrhills, FL in about 3 weeks. 

Hoping to get some jams organized down there in the place we will be living, Majestic Oaks, and plan on participating locally.

Do you hit any of the BG fests?  We were just at Grey Fox in NY, and will be heading to Podunk Bluegrass in CT in 2 weeks. 

BillnRI (for now)
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi Bill,
I am in Texas headed north will be in Florida in late October. I have never played a dobro. Do you have any pictures of it? I haven't been involved with any BG fests. They would probably frown on my virtual band (sequenced keyboard) Keep in touch maybe our paths will cross someday....would love to hear how a dobro would sound with my RV Songs.
Hope to see you soon.
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 06:10:39 AM »
Cliff
Yeah, a sequenced keyboard is not a typical instrument you find at a BG fest. or jam for that matter.  Country, sure, but BG doesn't usually stray from acoustic. 

Dobro is a guitar with a hubcap.  (G)  Looks like a guitar, but with the cover plate covering 70% of the body.  I'll post a pic.  Sometimes we are called a steel guitar, or a resonator guitar.

If you listen to Alison Krauss and Union Station, there is a lot of dobro in there from Jerry Douglas.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 06:13:00 AM »
This is me with dobro.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 06:16:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photo and the explanation Bill. So, does the dobro produce a metallic sound?

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 06:30:20 AM »
Yes, it is the high lonesome sound, we can make then cry at the appropriate time.  Hawaiin music uses a dobro, but it is played in a different style. 

Under the cover is an aluminum cone, connected to the strings via a wood bridge sitting on an alloy spider which then sits on the edge of the cone.  Vibrations are carried and resonate in the cone, similar to a speaker.  Instead of pressing a string to a fret and effecting the length and frequency, we use a steel bar, this effects the string length, but it just rests on the string, slight pressure, but not presed to the neck.  You can slide this up or down, changing the frequency or sound.  A little rocking and you get a vibrato. 

I am still learning, but I can play enough to back others, just not comfortable enough to jump in the lead.  My lead shot is as emcee and organizer, not as musician.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 06:37:03 AM »
Thanks Bill. Fascinating. I learn something new every day.

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
Bill,
Wow....that is a beautiful instrument and I am sure you play it well. I ruined a breedlove acoustic and was ruining a martin in the belly of the coach when I desided to go to yamaha travel and stage guitar. The keyboard sequencer is more of a writing and recording tool. If jamming, usually I play a few lead piano licks or chords ,but mostly guitar, Somewhere in the evening someone will ask  (after I have played bass or fiddle sounds on it)  "What else will that contraption do"  Then I will fire it up with a full version of House of the Risin Sun. I certianly hope we can meet up on the road of life out there somewhere. Maybe Tom can be there and hear the dobro sound...i
Thanks
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 05:47:10 AM »
When you get to Florida look me up.  I'll be living in Zephyrhills and working at Lazy Days in Seffner. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »
Will do Bill....looking foreward to hearing you play that fancy guitar!
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 06:22:27 AM »
Cliff  I just took the thing up a couple years ago, still getting the hang of t.  I am good at backing the vocals, but not big on ripping a break up with amazing picking.  Not ready for that. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
Bill/Cliff

If you guys provide the music I'll help fill in the vocals.

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 06:42:58 PM »
The more the merrier!
Cliff

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:11 PM »
The more the merrier!

Well, we do have some singers in the forum. This particular evening Pat Dick and I were using karaoake just to loosen up the vocal cords, but Pat has a really good voice and can harmonize to anything I can blurt out. Pat's husband Jim is a bagpiper, but he goes into hiding when asked to join the vocals.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 08:31:06 PM »
Jim and Pat were here for dinner last night.  We should have set up a jam, Jim on the pipes, me on Dobro, and Pat harmonizing. 

Wait, I think it was finding a song that had pipes and dobro parts.  We do share a solo in the acapella songs. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 09:04:13 PM »
Bill

Kinda tough to find music for that combination  ;D

quapaw

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 07:18:56 PM »
Hey all you pickers, come on down to south Texas for music.  There must be a couple hundred organized jams a week from November to May.  All the way from Mission to Harlingon.  Whatever type of music you like from strictly acoustic blue grass to big band and from novices to pros.  Take an instrument out and start picking and you will have a group in no time. 

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 07:27:22 PM »
Bill

Kinda tough to find music for that combination  ;D

Tom,

I'd call it impossible.

I found an old instrument Pat's dad used to play. I think it's a baritone ukelele! It looks like a smaller guitar but only has 4 strings. So many instruments, so little time. :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 07:41:59 PM »
Jim

I really wish I'd learned to read and play music when I was a kid. I taught myself some basic music reading a few years ago, but playing is just too tough for me. I guess I don't have the patience to practice until the notes are second nature. I'll just have to stick to vocals. I have a reasonable ear for it and can pick up almost any tune I hear. Would sure be nice to plonk out an unheard (by me) tune from sheet music and learn new songs without having to rely on someone else singing or playing it first.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 06:18:04 AM »
Tom,

I never did learn to read music. I played drums for awhile when in the Navy with a small shipboard combo. Didn't need to read music in those days. All the tunes were the same. :) We had a blast in the Far East. After that I joined the Pipe Band when I got out of the Navy. Played drums there for about 5 or 6 years. When the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards came out with their recording of Amazing Grace I told Pat I had to learn to play that on the pipes. Started practicing until I finally learned a couple of tunes, including that one. :) One day the Pipe Sargeant asked me when I was going to play on the street. I said I wasn't good enough. He said 'yes, you are'. Sure surprised me!!!

They only way I ever learned the tunes was to sit around the table with the practice chanter and follow the music while we played. After awhile I was able to remember the tune. Today most of the tunes are foggy as you found out in Moab. ;D ;D

Let's see...drums, pipes, tin whistle, uke....Man, I think I'm out of time!!!

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 06:55:59 AM »
I'd call it impossible.

I found an old instrument Pat's dad used to play. I think it's a baritone ukelele! It looks like a smaller guitar but only has 4 strings. So many instruments, so little time. :)

There's a instrument that's a tenor guitar and has different a nice, different, tenor sound with only four strings and smaller. I [layed a Martin tenor all one summer while working at Lake Webster IN. I've always wished I'd bought one for the smaller neck and my big hands with small fingers.  8)
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 07:15:40 AM »
I played a Martin tenor

Another musician comes out of the woodwork! I knew you could sing Bob, but didn't realize you could play.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »
There's a instrument that's a tenor guitar and has different a nice, different, tenor sound with only four strings and smaller. I [layed a Martin tenor all one summer while working at Lake Webster IN. I've always wished I'd bought one for the smaller neck and my big hands with small fingers.  8)

Bob,

I tried looking this instrument up on the internet and could only find 4 string bass guitars or the 4 string ukes. I didn't realize it but there are about 4 or 5 different size ukes! This one does sound a little more like a guitar than a uke. It was made in America but looks like it might have been an Italian company from the wording that's left on the tag inside. Wish I had the name of the company!

Martin guitars are quite popular. We toured the Martin factory with the Parks a couple of years ago. What a great tour! You are actually in the plant and can talk to the individuals that are working on the guitars. I may have to do the tour again. At the end of the tour we passed a cubicle where a young lady was holding a very fancy guitar. It was called the Tree of Life. All inlaid pearl on the neck. Chet got a picture. After we ooohed and awed she told us it cost $50,000!!! They are so busy filling orders it would take about 2 years for a custom built unit.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »
WOW....nice instruments....I couldn't afford a complet guitar....I am saving for the rest.... see  http://home.earthlink.net/~rvparkmusic/id4.html    scroll down
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 09:29:36 AM »
Another neat guitar is by Taylor I think.  It is the Liberty Tree guitar.  The wood comes from one of the last of the thirteen Liberty Trees planted in each of the 13 original states back in 1776.  This was the last surviving tree, and it was either knocked over or had to be cut because of it's health, howeve, the company bought the wood and is making a limited edition guitar,  The inlay has the battle flag, and all sorts of neat items.  Look it up in Google.  Great guitar, great story, may even be a great investment.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Hosted by Over The Network