EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Old Musicians  (Read 28448 times)

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
Old Musicians
« on: July 23, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »
Is there any musicans here that are fulltimers like me that would be interested in forming a country/bluegrass group that would meet and play in campgrounds for free?
Cliff

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Old Musicians
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 09:57:10 AM »
Cliff

I hope you get some responses. I sure would love to come and listen!

See photo for a couple of guys I see performing at RV shows.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 10:01:45 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »
I don't do this stuff myself, Cliff, and like Tom I hope you get some responses and are able to get a group together.

Ciao,

Doug

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »
Cliff

I hope you get some responses. I sure would love to come and listen!

See photo for a couple of guys I see performing at RV shows.

Thanks Tom,
I will keep you posted....cause old musicians never die they just ride away in their RV.

As mentioned on my home page....any of the RV songs that are there I will send a full length version mp3 by email. If you hear anything you like.....just hollar!
Cliff

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 02:25:24 PM »
I don't do this stuff myself, Cliff, and like Tom I hope you get some responses and are able to get a group together.

Ciao,

Doug

Thanks so much Doug!
Keep in touch....And just hollar if you want an Free mp3!
Thanks again
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:02:21 PM »
I play dobro and love to form jams.  I will be only sort of fulltimimg, I'll be fulltiming in an RV, but fulltime working as well.  Will be in Zephyrhills, FL in about 3 weeks. 

Hoping to get some jams organized down there in the place we will be living, Majestic Oaks, and plan on participating locally.

Do you hit any of the BG fests?  We were just at Grey Fox in NY, and will be heading to Podunk Bluegrass in CT in 2 weeks. 

BillnRI (for now)
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi Bill,
I am in Texas headed north will be in Florida in late October. I have never played a dobro. Do you have any pictures of it? I haven't been involved with any BG fests. They would probably frown on my virtual band (sequenced keyboard) Keep in touch maybe our paths will cross someday....would love to hear how a dobro would sound with my RV Songs.
Hope to see you soon.
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 06:10:39 AM »
Cliff
Yeah, a sequenced keyboard is not a typical instrument you find at a BG fest. or jam for that matter.  Country, sure, but BG doesn't usually stray from acoustic. 

Dobro is a guitar with a hubcap.  (G)  Looks like a guitar, but with the cover plate covering 70% of the body.  I'll post a pic.  Sometimes we are called a steel guitar, or a resonator guitar.

If you listen to Alison Krauss and Union Station, there is a lot of dobro in there from Jerry Douglas.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 06:13:00 AM »
This is me with dobro.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 06:16:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photo and the explanation Bill. So, does the dobro produce a metallic sound?

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 06:30:20 AM »
Yes, it is the high lonesome sound, we can make then cry at the appropriate time.  Hawaiin music uses a dobro, but it is played in a different style. 

Under the cover is an aluminum cone, connected to the strings via a wood bridge sitting on an alloy spider which then sits on the edge of the cone.  Vibrations are carried and resonate in the cone, similar to a speaker.  Instead of pressing a string to a fret and effecting the length and frequency, we use a steel bar, this effects the string length, but it just rests on the string, slight pressure, but not presed to the neck.  You can slide this up or down, changing the frequency or sound.  A little rocking and you get a vibrato. 

I am still learning, but I can play enough to back others, just not comfortable enough to jump in the lead.  My lead shot is as emcee and organizer, not as musician.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 06:37:03 AM »
Thanks Bill. Fascinating. I learn something new every day.

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
Bill,
Wow....that is a beautiful instrument and I am sure you play it well. I ruined a breedlove acoustic and was ruining a martin in the belly of the coach when I desided to go to yamaha travel and stage guitar. The keyboard sequencer is more of a writing and recording tool. If jamming, usually I play a few lead piano licks or chords ,but mostly guitar, Somewhere in the evening someone will ask  (after I have played bass or fiddle sounds on it)  "What else will that contraption do"  Then I will fire it up with a full version of House of the Risin Sun. I certianly hope we can meet up on the road of life out there somewhere. Maybe Tom can be there and hear the dobro sound...i
Thanks
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 05:47:10 AM »
When you get to Florida look me up.  I'll be living in Zephyrhills and working at Lazy Days in Seffner. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »
Will do Bill....looking foreward to hearing you play that fancy guitar!
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 06:22:27 AM »
Cliff  I just took the thing up a couple years ago, still getting the hang of t.  I am good at backing the vocals, but not big on ripping a break up with amazing picking.  Not ready for that. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
Bill/Cliff

If you guys provide the music I'll help fill in the vocals.

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 06:42:58 PM »
The more the merrier!
Cliff

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:11 PM »
The more the merrier!

Well, we do have some singers in the forum. This particular evening Pat Dick and I were using karaoake just to loosen up the vocal cords, but Pat has a really good voice and can harmonize to anything I can blurt out. Pat's husband Jim is a bagpiper, but he goes into hiding when asked to join the vocals.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 08:31:06 PM »
Jim and Pat were here for dinner last night.  We should have set up a jam, Jim on the pipes, me on Dobro, and Pat harmonizing. 

Wait, I think it was finding a song that had pipes and dobro parts.  We do share a solo in the acapella songs. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 09:04:13 PM »
Bill

Kinda tough to find music for that combination  ;D

quapaw

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 07:18:56 PM »
Hey all you pickers, come on down to south Texas for music.  There must be a couple hundred organized jams a week from November to May.  All the way from Mission to Harlingon.  Whatever type of music you like from strictly acoustic blue grass to big band and from novices to pros.  Take an instrument out and start picking and you will have a group in no time. 

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 07:27:22 PM »
Bill

Kinda tough to find music for that combination  ;D

Tom,

I'd call it impossible.

I found an old instrument Pat's dad used to play. I think it's a baritone ukelele! It looks like a smaller guitar but only has 4 strings. So many instruments, so little time. :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 07:41:59 PM »
Jim

I really wish I'd learned to read and play music when I was a kid. I taught myself some basic music reading a few years ago, but playing is just too tough for me. I guess I don't have the patience to practice until the notes are second nature. I'll just have to stick to vocals. I have a reasonable ear for it and can pick up almost any tune I hear. Would sure be nice to plonk out an unheard (by me) tune from sheet music and learn new songs without having to rely on someone else singing or playing it first.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 06:18:04 AM »
Tom,

I never did learn to read music. I played drums for awhile when in the Navy with a small shipboard combo. Didn't need to read music in those days. All the tunes were the same. :) We had a blast in the Far East. After that I joined the Pipe Band when I got out of the Navy. Played drums there for about 5 or 6 years. When the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards came out with their recording of Amazing Grace I told Pat I had to learn to play that on the pipes. Started practicing until I finally learned a couple of tunes, including that one. :) One day the Pipe Sargeant asked me when I was going to play on the street. I said I wasn't good enough. He said 'yes, you are'. Sure surprised me!!!

They only way I ever learned the tunes was to sit around the table with the practice chanter and follow the music while we played. After awhile I was able to remember the tune. Today most of the tunes are foggy as you found out in Moab. ;D ;D

Let's see...drums, pipes, tin whistle, uke....Man, I think I'm out of time!!!

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 06:55:59 AM »
I'd call it impossible.

I found an old instrument Pat's dad used to play. I think it's a baritone ukelele! It looks like a smaller guitar but only has 4 strings. So many instruments, so little time. :)

There's a instrument that's a tenor guitar and has different a nice, different, tenor sound with only four strings and smaller. I [layed a Martin tenor all one summer while working at Lake Webster IN. I've always wished I'd bought one for the smaller neck and my big hands with small fingers.  8)
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 07:15:40 AM »
I played a Martin tenor

Another musician comes out of the woodwork! I knew you could sing Bob, but didn't realize you could play.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »
There's a instrument that's a tenor guitar and has different a nice, different, tenor sound with only four strings and smaller. I [layed a Martin tenor all one summer while working at Lake Webster IN. I've always wished I'd bought one for the smaller neck and my big hands with small fingers.  8)

Bob,

I tried looking this instrument up on the internet and could only find 4 string bass guitars or the 4 string ukes. I didn't realize it but there are about 4 or 5 different size ukes! This one does sound a little more like a guitar than a uke. It was made in America but looks like it might have been an Italian company from the wording that's left on the tag inside. Wish I had the name of the company!

Martin guitars are quite popular. We toured the Martin factory with the Parks a couple of years ago. What a great tour! You are actually in the plant and can talk to the individuals that are working on the guitars. I may have to do the tour again. At the end of the tour we passed a cubicle where a young lady was holding a very fancy guitar. It was called the Tree of Life. All inlaid pearl on the neck. Chet got a picture. After we ooohed and awed she told us it cost $50,000!!! They are so busy filling orders it would take about 2 years for a custom built unit.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »
WOW....nice instruments....I couldn't afford a complet guitar....I am saving for the rest.... see  http://home.earthlink.net/~rvparkmusic/id4.html    scroll down
Cliff

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 09:29:36 AM »
Another neat guitar is by Taylor I think.  It is the Liberty Tree guitar.  The wood comes from one of the last of the thirteen Liberty Trees planted in each of the 13 original states back in 1776.  This was the last surviving tree, and it was either knocked over or had to be cut because of it's health, howeve, the company bought the wood and is making a limited edition guitar,  The inlay has the battle flag, and all sorts of neat items.  Look it up in Google.  Great guitar, great story, may even be a great investment.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 10:30:21 PM »
Taylors are great guitars....but I traded mine for a Breedlove guitar. Probably the best sounding guitar I ever owned.
Cliff
http://home.earthlink.net/~rvparkmusic/

Jackliz

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »
Taylors are great guitars....but I traded mine for a Breedlove guitar. Probably the best sounding guitar I ever owned.
Cliff
http://home.earthlink.net/~rvparkmusic/

Thanks for sharing your music.   :D   :D  Enjoyed some of the clips.  :D.

Regards,
Liz.
Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce and Oreo the Escape Cat
Fulltiming in a 1993 Wanderlodge WB 40 ft
Dhanis, TX - Winter
Buena Vista, CO - Summer

JohnSandyWhite

• ---
    • John & Sandy's Motorhome Forum
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 10:12:28 AM »
 :) I think it's great that we have RV'ers interested in making their own Music. I still have my 1960's EKO Les Paul look-a-like that I bought in Singapore and a 12 string EROS 612 Nevada that I bought on-route through the USA in 1969. The EKO's neck has unfortunately warped and the tension bar has snapped. But the EROS is as good as the day I bought it. Apart that is from the original strings which are still fitted.  ;D I took up the Guitar again 5 years ago after we retired from Karaoke and went Full-Time RV'ing. I bought myself a Yamaha Pacifica and a small practice amp. Keep singing and playing boys. I only wish I could join you. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:16:21 AM by JohnSandyWhite »
Been there, done that. But I never stop learning

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 10:48:26 AM »
We have a karaoke system that plays video CD format (time to upgrade) and plugs into the TV and stereo system. My many years of travelling in Asia taught me that it's a great party piece.

I've been singing since I was knee high to a coal miner and have always been able to pick up the tunes by ear, but I always regretted not being able to read music. When I sang with a barbershop chorus I was envious of the guys who could pick up a music score and blurt out a tune. So a few years ago I bought myself an electronic keyboard and a few books to teach myself to read music and even took music lessons. I picked up enough to be able to follow along on a score, but I play the keyboard about as well as I type on a PC. (My wife tells me I'm the fastest 1-finger typist she's seen.) I still haven't made the connection between what's written on a score and what comes out of my mouth though  :(

JohnSandyWhite

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 10:57:21 AM »
 :D I know where you are coming from Tom. I learned to read Music at school and learned Guitar chords from a book. I could teach anyone (and have done) how to read and play from music. But can I do it myself? No way Jose'. Unless I do it a note at a time. I originally learned to play Intrumental by ear, mainly The Shadows music and went onto improvise from there. I mentioned elsewhere (I think) I have just spent 6 months burning 3000 songs from my 12" Laser Karaoke Discs onto Hard drives. I have also burned them onto DVD's too. We will be doing a Karaoke next Tuesday for the Old Folk when we visit the Mother-in-Law. I also began singing when I was as tall as a Davey Lamp (Miner's Lamp). Of course you Guy's from the Valley have an advantage. IMHO.  :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 11:25:06 AM »
I learned to read Music at school

You had a big advantage. I signed up for music my first week in grammar school. They gave me a violin, I went home and played a few screeches, and was told to "get that thing out of here". That was the end of my music lessons.

I could teach anyone (and have done) how to read and play from music.

If we ever meet up in a campground or at one of the services on the M4, you're booked!

The Shadows music

Ah, that takes me back. Haven't heard of them in a long time, but I understand Cliff Richard is still going.

Of course you Guy's from the Valley have an advantage.

That comes from a combination of chapel 3 times on Sunday and being forced down the pit the rest of the week by the rich coal mine owners from the other side of the Severn. The golden aera of Welsh rugby in the 70's helped a little too, especially when Wales was playing England  ;D

JohnSandyWhite

• ---
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »
 :) Yes Cliff is still Singing and Touring as is Big Tom of course. If we ever meet on the M4? That will be a booking I will keep. Weslh Rubgy of the 70's? They were a good team for sure. I played against the 'All Blacks' in Singapore.  :o That was something else.  ;)
I worked down the Coal Mines for 16 1/2 years. If fact our Local Colliery is one of the few still open. Not for long though. Tha's closing too.  ???

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 12:15:59 PM »
I played against the 'All Blacks' in Singapore. :o That was something else.

That must have been a wonderful experience. Were you playing for the Barbarians or England? I attended my first game at the ripe old age of 6 months and my Dad used to take me to watch all the home games of the local club. Used to be a religion in those days.

I worked down the Coal Mines for 16 1/2 years.

Ah, you know all too well how it was then. My Dad started in the mines when he was 12 years old. Finally had to quit when diagnosed with pneumoconiosis and start a new career. But the disease was a constant memory for the rest of his life. Hope you were able to escape its effects. Both grandfathers and all my uncles except one were coalminers and I grew up with the threat "If you don't do well in school, you're going down the pit". That was quite an incentive to pay attention in class  ;D

our Local Colliery is one of the few still open. Not for long though.

Reminds me of a Max Boyce song from the 70's (I still know all his songs) - the first line went "In our little valley, they closed the colliery down".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:19:54 PM by Tom »

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2005, 01:26:17 PM »
So Tom, you must have read "How Green Was My Valley" as one of your first reads?  I read it as boy from Guyana in boarding school in England sometime between 1949 and 1955.

Also, ISTR that you have a good CD collection?  Do you have CDs of the famous Welsh choirs?  What a fabulous sound, along with the brass bands. (Hmmh, a wave of nostalgia just engulfed me; methinks I'm off to locate one of mine and put it on for a play.)  Oh, and what about the Eisteddfods?  Did you attend any of those.

My connection with Welsh men singing comes mainly from an uncle of mine, with whom I spent some of my English summers, and who played in a good Salvation Army band.

Ciao,

Doug

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »
you must have read "How Green Was My Valley"

Oh yes and also saw the original movie. A later re-make of the movie was filmed in the village where I grew up, but I've yet to see it on the screen.

Do you have CDs of the famous Welsh choirs?

Most defintely. Also have some of them on old tapes. Wonderful harmony.

One time when I was over there on a visit, I went to a pub where one of the choirs goes after choir practice. I gave the landlord (aka bar tender) some beer money for the guys and they didn't stop singing all night. Quite an emotional moment when they stood around me in a circle and sang "Well keep a welcome in the hillsides".

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005, 02:47:11 PM »
when they stood around me in a circle and sang "Well keep a welcome in the hillsides"

Ah yes, now there's a song whose tune, harmonies, and words, work so well in tandem to tug at the heart strings.

Ciao,

Doug

Dave R

• ---
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2005, 04:43:22 PM »
Jim Dick is holding out on you guys. He also plays the tin Whistle.

Dave in Nc
Dave & Jeanette  NC
2009 Hitchhiker Fifth wheel Triple slide
2013 Chev Duramax

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »
Dave

Jim plays a lot more than the tin whistle  ;D  And pat is a great vocalist.

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2005, 07:34:40 AM »
When I was about 10 my mother forced me to 1 year of piano lessons. Just learned timing and enough to read a few notes. Played backup chords on piano with a highschool band once. Found the up front guitar players and singers were getting all the girls. Time to learn to play guitar and sing. I play by ear. Notes get in the way.Gotta feel it. Keep on singing and playin everyone. Shucks ....the most fun I ever had.... there was only two of us. Well, maybe 3 ...once.
Cliff

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39:07 AM »
Jim Dick is holding out on you guys. He also plays the tin Whistle.

Dave in Nc

Dave,

I play a tune on the tin whistle. Not quite the same. ;D I now have a 4 string tenor guitar that is about 100 years old. Well, maybe not that old but old. Not sure what I'll do with it. Still keeping the Dulcimer in mind. If I get one I know where to find an instructor. ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2005, 07:43:11 AM »
Cliff,

I learned to play the pipes by sitting at the table with good pipers and listening to the tune while reading the music. Once I learned the tune I could then refresh my memory with the notes but I can't take a new piece and get the timing correct without hearing it.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »
Jim,
I would think the pipes are one of the hardest instruments to play well. Keep on pickin and grinnin!
Cliff

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2005, 05:21:53 PM »
Jim,
I would think the pipes are one of the hardest instruments to play well. Keep on pickin and grinnin!
Cliff

Cliff,

They can be difficult but once you get the breathing, blowing, squeezing, and fingering down it's pretty easy. :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2005, 04:40:13 PM »
Thanks!.....Glad you like the songs.
Cliff

Thanks for sharing your music.   :D   :D  Enjoyed some of the clips.  :D.

Regards,
Liz.

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2005, 10:03:20 AM »
Dulcimers...  We have a weekly jam in my park, (Fridays), and we have 4 ladies that play the dulcimer.  My impression is it is a nice parlor instrument for enjoyment, but in a jam, not that handy.  Maybe it is just them, but if we are not in D they can't play, and when they do a song in D, they are just difficult to accompany.  That part is probably me, but just hard to work around.

My peeve is they do songs I know, play 1 verse straight thru, end it.  No breaks, no passing it around.  Maybe in time they will learn about how jams work.  In the meantime I am just happy to have a weekly place to play.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2005, 10:19:03 AM »
...they do songs I know, play 1 verse straight thru, end it. No breaks, no passing it around. Maybe in time they will learn about how jams work.

Hi Bill, any chance you could explain how a jam should work?

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi Bill,

We have a Dulcimer group here at TGO. I was thinking about checking it out. I just met a couple that is staying here this month. She plays the Dulcimer and Guitar. She has two Dulcimers and has offered to get me started. She also agrees that it is not a jam instrument.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Dave R

• ---
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2005, 08:16:55 PM »
The dulcimer may not be a jam instrument in the sense that you guys are thinking of it in, BUT if
you go to any dulcimer festivals you will find jams with up to 20 or 30 or sometimes more dulcimers
playing. Both hammered and mountain. The problems I have observed with playing with other
instruments is they don't want to tone down the other instruments and they drown out the
dulcimer. There are several dulcimer and guitar groups about as well as dulcimer and autoharp groups.

Dave
Dave & Jeanette  NC
2009 Hitchhiker Fifth wheel Triple slide
2013 Chev Duramax

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2005, 09:03:51 PM »
How a Jam works:
Get a number of musicians together, assorted instruments.  Usually in a jam, not performing situation, you would form an inward facing circle.  Someone picks a song, and kicks it off.  The person picking will lead it.  The verse is played, and breaks or solos are essentially passed around.  Guitar player playes a verse, does some improv based on chord structure and harnmony, then it goes back to the group and singing.  This goes around till everyone that wannts a piece of it gets a shot at it. 

In a performance jam, it usually works about the same, but we might not drag a song out as long, and we would not be in a circle. More stretched out across the front. 

I do enjoy the dulcimer and the jam haas been established as a come one come all, so I wouldn't do anything to attempt to change it.  I just get a little frustrated during their songs.  Thei portion becomes more of a recital, then back to jamming.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2005, 11:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Bill.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2005, 05:47:49 AM »
Dave,

I found out we have a Dulicmer group at TGO. Also just met a couple from CT. She plays Dulcimer and Guitar. She has two Dulcimers and said she'd be happy to get me started. So much to do, so little time!!! :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2005, 06:34:10 AM »
Jim... just say no... (G),  get a banjo!  Get something you can play alone or with others.  Wait, you play pipes, you need to play the banjo. the pipes of stringed instruments!
VBG

Hear about the banjo player that left his car unlocked with his banjo inside?  Terrible thing, he got back and you guessed it, 2 banjo's inside! 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2005, 12:13:15 PM »
Bill,

The Banjo has always interested me but I doubt my fingers will do what's necessary to play. :) I know how that banjo reproduction works. I've seen it with friends. Heck, I have two tin whistles!! :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2005, 12:48:45 PM »
Jim,

Just stay away from the Chatahoochie River in Georgia ;D
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »
So long as you can keep up on the banjo you will be just fine.

BTW, that is a fun song to play.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2005, 06:31:34 AM »
Karl,

If it's good enough for Alan Jackson, it's got to be good enough for me. ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2005, 08:00:21 PM »
Bill,

The Banjo has always interested me but I doubt my fingers will do what's necessary to play. :) I know how that banjo reproduction works. I've seen it with friends. Heck, I have two tin whistles!! :)

Jim,
You play the banjo and we will play the deliverance song!
Cliff

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2005, 05:55:23 AM »
Jim,
You play the banjo and we will play the deliverance song!
Cliff

Cliff,

Now that would be fun!! I always loved that tune.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2005, 08:20:44 AM »
Dave,

I found out we have a Dulicmer group at TGO. Also just met a couple from CT. She plays Dulcimer and Guitar. She has two Dulcimers and said she'd be happy to get me started. So much to do, so little time!!! :)

The kind of singing I do when I'm not in Church is one of the areas where Dulcimers and mountain dulcimers often show up... So a while ago we were at what is called a "house Filk" (Meet at a hosue instead of a convention) and I ask the lady with the dulicmer if she coudl play "God Rest Ye Merry Gentelmen" (she could and did) What I did not tell here is I was singing "The Restroom Door Said Gentelmen" Which, as it turns out, she'd never heard before.

Lots of fun
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2005, 08:37:14 AM »
John,

Guess I've never heard that one before either. :) Doing things like that can be a lot of fun.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2005, 04:46:46 PM »
I would love to see the lyrics to that one!

Duelling Banjo's etc.  Love playing that on the dobro. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2005, 10:57:09 PM »
The kind of singing I do when I'm not in Church is one of the areas where Dulcimers and mountain dulcimers often show up... So a while ago we were at what is called a "house Filk" (Meet at a hosue instead of a convention) and I ask the lady with the dulicmer if she coudl play "God Rest Ye Merry Gentelmen" (she could and did) What I did not tell here is I was singing "The Restroom Door Said Gentelmen" Which, as it turns out, she'd never heard before.

Lots of fun

Please reply with the lyrics to "The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen".
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2006, 08:15:41 PM »
John,
Still waiting on those lyrics....
Cliff

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 08:26:30 AM »
Don't guess we'll get those lyrics?
Cliff

John,
Still waiting on those lyrics....
Cliff

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »
Don't guess we'll get those lyrics?
Cliff

Try this link and you will find the Lyrics.

http://bob-rivers-comedy-corp-lyrics.wonderlyrics.com/Restroom-Door-Said-Gentlemen.html

Hope they are the right ones.  GOOGLE is our friend. ;D ;)
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2006, 06:21:39 PM »
Next rally, perhaps Ned and I could be coaxed into a duet (Glen Levit or Jameson might work) of "Our Passengers Will Please Refrain", sung to Humoresque. A treat not to be missed. Encores of other songs are available, but seldom requested ;D
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »
It will take quite a bit of adult beverage for that :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2006, 10:17:41 PM »
Try this link and you will find the Lyrics.

http://bob-rivers-comedy-corp-lyrics.wonderlyrics.com/Restroom-Door-Said-Gentlemen.html

Hope they are the right ones.  GOOGLE is our friend. ;D ;)

Thanks!
Now that was a funny song!
Cliff

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »
Regarding "The Restroom Door Said Gentelmen" (So I just walked inside)

Can you believe it... I sang that in CHURCH (Ok, it was after choir practice, not during a service, but hey,  It is indeed a funny song,  From one of the "Twisted Christmas" cd's.

I can no more sit with comfort and joy, comfort and joy, no more can I sit with comfort and joy (Not the proper ending lyric)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

AJones

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2006, 02:57:20 PM »
Greetings,

I don't know if anyone is a former Navy musician, just wanted to let you know their is a Navy Musician's Association.  I don't play anymore however, it is nice to learn about former musicians and catch up with old firends.  Just google NMA or Navy Musician's Association.

TJ

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2006, 10:48:09 AM »
TJ,

Many years ago, the (or a) Navy Band played a concert at Northridge, one of Milwaukee's shopping centers. Among all the other great music, one piece will stay with me forever. They played McArthur's Park and during the slow part of the piece, a single trumpeter, with the rest of the band playing softly in the background, played a solo that was so well phrased and moving that the somewhat faded memories of my time in the Air Force snapped into perfect clarity, and I had shivers down my back and tears welling up in my eyes.

Called everyone I could think of to find a recording of that piece, but found out that they had never made any. What a disappointment :'(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:54:43 AM by Karl »

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2006, 09:54:42 PM »
Greetings,

I don't know if anyone is a former Navy musician, just wanted to let you know their is a Navy Musician's Association.  I don't play anymore however, it is nice to learn about former musicians and catch up with old firends.  Just google NMA or Navy Musician's Association.

TJ

Hi TJ,

I wasn't what you would consider a Navy musician but I did play drums in the drum & bugle corps in boot camp at Great Lakes. Sure was fun!!!

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »
Drum & Bugle, we used to call them the Beaters & Blowers.  Hmmm, that sounds like it might have a second meaning...  Anyway, they used to practice on Sat AM on the drill pad in front of our barracks, pretty much insuring no sleeping in on Sat.

Good friend (Jim, you may remember him from Cycling Forum, Ken Lyons), was in the Air Force band.  Played brass, mainly trombone.  He did that for 4 years, was in the DC group, which I gather was the elite in the band area.

Did you know the Navy even has a Bluegrass Band?  Saw them at Grey Fox last year.  Very talented bunch.  Write their own music, most even provide their own instrument.  All E6 or above. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2006, 10:29:15 AM »
Hi TJ,

I wasn't what you would consider a Navy musician but I did play drums in the drum & bugle corps in boot camp at Great Lakes. Sure was fun!!!

Jim I can't remember if we talked about that at QZ that night we did Navy talk around my fire ring year before last. Anyway, I was also in the Navy drum & bugle corps while in boot camp at Bainbridge, MD. On two weekends, they bused us up to New York to be on the Super Circus TV show and the the Perry Como show. What an unexpected surprise to have this neat thing happen to me while in boot training -- that was othewise not a fun experience during a very cold Jan-Feb.

Funny sidle (but not at the time). If you recall, while the rest of the company did military drill on the grinder, we went to the DB area to practice bugle. It seems that our company had the highest average GCT score, but total screw ups otherwise. ;) So they changed company commanders and gave us a fellow that was a gorilla in a Navy uniform and just as mean.

So to check things out and see how bad we were, he had us line up and do the entire semaphore alphabet in unison (rememer that drill?). Well, my buddy and I had never done the semaphore because we had always gone to DB training while the rest of the company learned such things.

http://navy.memorieshop.com/Signaling/Flags.html

Now, picture 94 trainees doing semaphore in perfect unison -- while two trainees helplessly had their arms in the wrong positions with each letter. :(  He called me forward, cussed me for 5 minutes without saying the same word twice -- before allowing me to explain.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:53:25 AM by Bob Buchanan »
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2006, 08:02:07 AM »
Drum & Bugle, we used to call them the Beaters & Blowers.  Hmmm, that sounds like it might have a second meaning...  Anyway, they used to practice on Sat AM on the drill pad in front of our barracks, pretty much insuring no sleeping in on Sat.

Good friend (Jim, you may remember him from Cycling Forum, Ken Lyons), was in the Air Force band.  Played brass, mainly trombone.  He did that for 4 years, was in the DC group, which I gather was the elite in the band area.

Did you know the Navy even has a Bluegrass Band?  Saw them at Grey Fox last year.  Very talented bunch.  Write their own music, most even provide their own instrument.  All E6 or above. 

Bill,

No way you guys were going to sleep in if we had to practice!!!

I remember Ken being on the forum but that's about it. :) I think D.C. has all the elite bands from the services.

Navy also has it's own Pipe Band! Of course they formed it after our son graduated. He was a tenor drummer in the pipe band and a bass drummer in the Academy's Drum & Bugle Corp.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »
Hi Bob,

No, we didn't discuss that around the campfire!!! You and Terry Nathan have something in common. He was a bugler in the British Army!

Yes, I remember watching the guys on the grinder and thinking how lucky I was to be in D&B. ;D We did push the piece once in awhile but not often. We also got an extra liberty weekend during boot camp! I did my time in April at Great Lakes. Not much better than Bainbridge in Jan/Feb.

That's a funny story about the semaphore drill. ;D I never had to learn that though I often wish I had along with morse code. I remember the radiomen sitting on the messdeck and winking morse code to each other.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2006, 09:28:43 AM »
Jim
Still time to learn morse.  Still need it for the 2 higher ham licenses.  I am out of practice but can still sed and receive at double the required speed.  (now that it is only 5 wpm)...

I have a nice ant mount for the hyosung when you get you license. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2006, 07:10:26 PM »
Bill,

Only 5 wpm? You've got to be kidding! Used to be pretty good at sending, but couldn't receive worth a darn . - . .   - - -   . - . .

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »
Jim
Still time to learn morse.  Still need it for the 2 higher ham licenses.  I am out of practice but can still sed and receive at double the required speed.  (now that it is only 5 wpm)...

I have a nice ant mount for the hyosung when you get you license. 

Bill,

I think at this point I do not have enough space left in the brain to remember all that stuff. Even now I have to delete some stuff to remember the new. Usually delete yesterday. ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Griff

• ---
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:06 AM »
If any of you folks are into jam sessions and happen to be in the Pacific NW in June...Weiser ID third full week of June is the National Old-time fiddle festival.  Bluegrass and all sorts of good music.  Just walk amongst the RV's and you can find jam sessions all over the place.  Plus they set up stages at several different parks in town for those who can't or don't want to walk from group to group. This is all in addition to the actual competition held at the high school.  I haven't been to the actual competition for over 25 years, but love to go walk around and listen to all the different styles and types of music.

Griff

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:24 PM »
If any of you folks are into jam sessions and happen to be in the Pacific NW in June...Weiser ID third full week of June is the National Old-time fiddle festival.  Bluegrass and all sorts of good music.  Just walk amongst the RV's and you can find jam sessions all over the place.  Plus they set up stages at several different parks in town for those who can't or don't want to walk from group to group. This is all in addition to the actual competition held at the high school.  I haven't been to the actual competition for over 25 years, but love to go walk around and listen to all the different styles and types of music.

Griff

Griff,

Now you are making me jealous we won't be in the Pacific NW this summer!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2006, 09:23:35 AM »
Yes, 5 wpm for receiving for General or Extra.  Only 3 lcasses now, Tech, with no code and limited frequencies, General all all bands but within limits on bands, need 5 wpm, the Extra, with all parts, all bands.  No additional code requirements.  I got my General back in the 13 wpm days, upgraded to Extra just as they dropped the 20 WPM, had just gotten proficient and they dropped it to 13. 

NW Fiddlers...  would not mind being there as well.  For Jim there is the Podunk Festival in his backyard.  Jamming all over plus the main stage.  Saw Vassar Clements there the summer before he passed on.  Many great bands there.  Jamming is awesome till the wee hours.

Thgen my all time favorite it paians me to miss, GreyFox in NY.  What a festival, jamming everywherre, workshops witht eh bands, the main stage, the dance tent, the vendors, the food...  Best way to spend 5 days in July in the northeast. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2006, 07:08:28 AM »
Bill,

One of these days we will make the Podunk festival. :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2006, 09:00:15 AM »
Jim
You won't be disappointed.  Try for a Sat day pass, usually the best line-up and the start of the bbq contest, lots of great aroma all around. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

JohnSandyWhite

• ---
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2006, 01:57:31 PM »
 :) Maybe one of you guys may be interested in this Fender:-

http://www.j-walk.com/other/todd/ebayparody.htm

;D I only wish I could afford to buy it?  ;D

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »
That auction already ended, but I got in touch with the seller.  He is letting me give him a deposit for first option on the next one he gets.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2006, 06:54:24 PM »
Tore out my stitches laughing (or I would have, if I had any) ;D ;D ;D

That Ebay listing was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, and you've got to visit his home page - even funnier! Whoever this guy really is, he's got a great sense of humor, but not someone I'd invite over for dinner. Does Jeffery Dahmer pluck any familiar strings (pun intended)?

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »
:) Maybe one of you guys may be interested in this Fender:-

http://www.j-walk.com/other/todd/ebayparody.htm

;D I only wish I could afford to buy it?  ;D

Cool guitar.....too much money.....I will just kep mine.

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 12:38:30 AM by Tom »

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2006, 04:51:11 PM »
Very imaginative guy.  You have to work at it to spell so badly! 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Cliff Boyd

• ---
  • RVsongs4you
    • RVsongs4you
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »
hahahahahahaha........I try
Didn't learn anything a tall at Yale.....but sure had a great time.
Cliff

Very imaginative guy.  You have to work at it to spell so badly! 

Hosted by Over The Network