Old Musicians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff Boyd

Is there any musicans here that are fulltimers like me that would be interested in forming a country/bluegrass group that would meet and play in campgrounds for free?
Cliff

Cliff

I hope you get some responses. I sure would love to come and listen!

See photo for a couple of guys I see performing at RV shows.

Attachments

• musicians.jpg
    musicians.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 48
I don't do this stuff myself, Cliff, and like Tom I hope you get some responses and are able to get a group together.

Ciao,

Doug

Tom said:
Cliff

I hope you get some responses. I sure would love to come and listen!

See photo for a couple of guys I see performing at RV shows.

Thanks Tom,
I will keep you posted....cause old musicians never die they just ride away in their RV.

As mentioned on my home page....any of the RV songs that are there I will send a full length version mp3 by email. If you hear anything you like.....just hollar!
Cliff

DougJ said:
I don't do this stuff myself, Cliff, and like Tom I hope you get some responses and are able to get a group together.

Ciao,

Doug

Thanks so much Doug!
Keep in touch....And just hollar if you want an Free mp3!
Thanks again
Cliff

I play dobro and love to form jams.  I will be only sort of fulltimimg, I'll be fulltiming in an RV, but fulltime working as well.  Will be in Zephyrhills, FL in about 3 weeks. 

Hoping to get some jams organized down there in the place we will be living, Majestic Oaks, and plan on participating locally.

Do you hit any of the BG fests?  We were just at Grey Fox in NY, and will be heading to Podunk Bluegrass in CT in 2 weeks. 

BillnRI (for now)

Hi Bill,
I am in Texas headed north will be in Florida in late October. I have never played a dobro. Do you have any pictures of it? I haven't been involved with any BG fests. They would probably frown on my virtual band (sequenced keyboard) Keep in touch maybe our paths will cross someday....would love to hear how a dobro would sound with my RV Songs.
Hope to see you soon.
Cliff

Cliff
Yeah, a sequenced keyboard is not a typical instrument you find at a BG fest. or jam for that matter.  Country, sure, but BG doesn't usually stray from acoustic. 

Dobro is a guitar with a hubcap.  (G)  Looks like a guitar, but with the cover plate covering 70% of the body.  I'll post a pic.  Sometimes we are called a steel guitar, or a resonator guitar.

If you listen to Alison Krauss and Union Station, there is a lot of dobro in there from Jerry Douglas.

Thanks for sharing the photo and the explanation Bill. So, does the dobro produce a metallic sound?

Yes, it is the high lonesome sound, we can make then cry at the appropriate time.  Hawaiin music uses a dobro, but it is played in a different style. 

Under the cover is an aluminum cone, connected to the strings via a wood bridge sitting on an alloy spider which then sits on the edge of the cone.  Vibrations are carried and resonate in the cone, similar to a speaker.  Instead of pressing a string to a fret and effecting the length and frequency, we use a steel bar, this effects the string length, but it just rests on the string, slight pressure, but not presed to the neck.  You can slide this up or down, changing the frequency or sound.  A little rocking and you get a vibrato. 

I am still learning, but I can play enough to back others, just not comfortable enough to jump in the lead.  My lead shot is as emcee and organizer, not as musician.

Thanks Bill. Fascinating. I learn something new every day.

Bill,
Wow....that is a beautiful instrument and I am sure you play it well. I ruined a breedlove acoustic and was ruining a martin in the belly of the coach when I desided to go to yamaha travel and stage guitar. The keyboard sequencer is more of a writing and recording tool. If jamming, usually I play a few lead piano licks or chords ,but mostly guitar, Somewhere in the evening someone will ask  (after I have played bass or fiddle sounds on it)  "What else will that contraption do"  Then I will fire it up with a full version of House of the Risin Sun. I certianly hope we can meet up on the road of life out there somewhere. Maybe Tom can be there and hear the dobro sound...i
Thanks
Cliff

Will do Bill....looking foreward to hearing you play that fancy guitar!
Cliff

Cliff  I just took the thing up a couple years ago, still getting the hang of t.  I am good at backing the vocals, but not big on ripping a break up with amazing picking.  Not ready for that. 

Bill/Cliff

If you guys provide the music I'll help fill in the vocals.

Cliff Boyd said:
The more the merrier!

Well, we do have some singers in the forum. This particular evening Pat Dick and I were using karaoake just to loosen up the vocal cords, but Pat has a really good voice and can harmonize to anything I can blurt out. Pat's husband Jim is a bagpiper, but he goes into hiding when asked to join the vocals.

Attachments

• karaoke.jpg
    karaoke.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 57
Jim and Pat were here for dinner last night.  We should have set up a jam, Jim on the pipes, me on Dobro, and Pat harmonizing. 

Wait, I think it was finding a song that had pipes and dobro parts.  We do share a solo in the acapella songs. 

Back
Top Bottom