Old Musicians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
Bill,

The Banjo has always interested me but I doubt my fingers will do what's necessary to play. :) I know how that banjo reproduction works. I've seen it with friends. Heck, I have two tin whistles!! :)

Jim,
You play the banjo and we will play the deliverance song!
Cliff

Jim Dick said:
Dave,

I found out we have a Dulicmer group at TGO. Also just met a couple from CT. She plays Dulcimer and Guitar. She has two Dulcimers and said she'd be happy to get me started. So much to do, so little time!!! :)

The kind of singing I do when I'm not in Church is one of the areas where Dulcimers and mountain dulcimers often show up... So a while ago we were at what is called a "house Filk" (Meet at a hosue instead of a convention) and I ask the lady with the dulicmer if she coudl play "God Rest Ye Merry Gentelmen" (she could and did) What I did not tell here is I was singing "The Restroom Door Said Gentelmen" Which, as it turns out, she'd never heard before.

Lots of fun

John In Detroit said:
The kind of singing I do when I'm not in Church is one of the areas where Dulcimers and mountain dulcimers often show up... So a while ago we were at what is called a "house Filk" (Meet at a hosue instead of a convention) and I ask the lady with the dulicmer if she coudl play "God Rest Ye Merry Gentelmen" (she could and did) What I did not tell here is I was singing "The Restroom Door Said Gentelmen" Which, as it turns out, she'd never heard before.

Lots of fun

Please reply with the lyrics to "The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen".
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff Boyd said:
Don't guess we'll get those lyrics?
Cliff

Try this link and you will find the Lyrics.

http://bob-rivers-comedy-corp-lyrics.wonderlyrics.com/Restroom-Door-Said-Gentlemen.html

Hope they are the right ones.  GOOGLE is our friend. ;D ;)

Next rally, perhaps Ned and I could be coaxed into a duet (Glen Levit or Jameson might work) of "Our Passengers Will Please Refrain", sung to Humoresque. A treat not to be missed. Encores of other songs are available, but seldom requested ;D

It will take quite a bit of adult beverage for that :)

Ron said:
Try this link and you will find the Lyrics.

http://bob-rivers-comedy-corp-lyrics.wonderlyrics.com/Restroom-Door-Said-Gentlemen.html

Hope they are the right ones.? GOOGLE is our friend. ;D ;)

Thanks!
Now that was a funny song!
Cliff

Regarding "The Restroom Door Said Gentelmen" (So I just walked inside)

Can you believe it... I sang that in CHURCH (Ok, it was after choir practice, not during a service, but hey,  It is indeed a funny song,  From one of the "Twisted Christmas" cd's.

I can no more sit with comfort and joy, comfort and joy, no more can I sit with comfort and joy (Not the proper ending lyric)

Greetings,

I don't know if anyone is a former Navy musician, just wanted to let you know their is a Navy Musician's Association.  I don't play anymore however, it is nice to learn about former musicians and catch up with old firends.  Just google NMA or Navy Musician's Association.

TJ

TJ,

Many years ago, the (or a) Navy Band played a concert at Northridge, one of Milwaukee's shopping centers. Among all the other great music, one piece will stay with me forever. They played McArthur's Park and during the slow part of the piece, a single trumpeter, with the rest of the band playing softly in the background, played a solo that was so well phrased and moving that the somewhat faded memories of my time in the Air Force snapped into perfect clarity, and I had shivers down my back and tears welling up in my eyes.

Called everyone I could think of to find a recording of that piece, but found out that they had never made any. What a disappointment :'(

AJones said:
Greetings,

I don't know if anyone is a former Navy musician, just wanted to let you know their is a Navy Musician's Association.  I don't play anymore however, it is nice to learn about former musicians and catch up with old firends.  Just google NMA or Navy Musician's Association.

TJ

Hi TJ,

I wasn't what you would consider a Navy musician but I did play drums in the drum & bugle corps in boot camp at Great Lakes. Sure was fun!!!

Drum & Bugle, we used to call them the Beaters & Blowers.  Hmmm, that sounds like it might have a second meaning...  Anyway, they used to practice on Sat AM on the drill pad in front of our barracks, pretty much insuring no sleeping in on Sat.

Good friend (Jim, you may remember him from Cycling Forum, Ken Lyons), was in the Air Force band.  Played brass, mainly trombone.  He did that for 4 years, was in the DC group, which I gather was the elite in the band area.

Did you know the Navy even has a Bluegrass Band?  Saw them at Grey Fox last year.  Very talented bunch.  Write their own music, most even provide their own instrument.  All E6 or above. 

Jim Dick said:
Hi TJ,

I wasn't what you would consider a Navy musician but I did play drums in the drum & bugle corps in boot camp at Great Lakes. Sure was fun!!!

Jim I can't remember if we talked about that at QZ that night we did Navy talk around my fire ring year before last. Anyway, I was also in the Navy drum & bugle corps while in boot camp at Bainbridge, MD. On two weekends, they bused us up to New York to be on the Super Circus TV show and the the Perry Como show. What an unexpected surprise to have this neat thing happen to me while in boot training -- that was othewise not a fun experience during a very cold Jan-Feb.

Funny sidle (but not at the time). If you recall, while the rest of the company did military drill on the grinder, we went to the DB area to practice bugle. It seems that our company had the highest average GCT score, but total screw ups otherwise. ;) So they changed company commanders and gave us a fellow that was a gorilla in a Navy uniform and just as mean.

So to check things out and see how bad we were, he had us line up and do the entire semaphore alphabet in unison (rememer that drill?). Well, my buddy and I had never done the semaphore because we had always gone to DB training while the rest of the company learned such things.

http://navy.memorieshop.com/Signaling/Flags.html

Now, picture 94 trainees doing semaphore in perfect unison -- while two trainees helplessly had their arms in the wrong positions with each letter. :(? He called me forward, cussed me for 5 minutes without saying the same word twice -- before allowing me to explain.

PancakeBill said:
Drum & Bugle, we used to call them the Beaters & Blowers.  Hmmm, that sounds like it might have a second meaning...  Anyway, they used to practice on Sat AM on the drill pad in front of our barracks, pretty much insuring no sleeping in on Sat.

Good friend (Jim, you may remember him from Cycling Forum, Ken Lyons), was in the Air Force band.  Played brass, mainly trombone.  He did that for 4 years, was in the DC group, which I gather was the elite in the band area.

Did you know the Navy even has a Bluegrass Band?  Saw them at Grey Fox last year.  Very talented bunch.  Write their own music, most even provide their own instrument.  All E6 or above. 

Bill,

No way you guys were going to sleep in if we had to practice!!!

I remember Ken being on the forum but that's about it. :) I think D.C. has all the elite bands from the services.

Navy also has it's own Pipe Band! Of course they formed it after our son graduated. He was a tenor drummer in the pipe band and a bass drummer in the Academy's Drum & Bugle Corp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom