Old Musicians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when they stood around me in a circle and sang "Well keep a welcome in the hillsides"

Ah yes, now there's a song whose tune, harmonies, and words, work so well in tandem to tug at the heart strings.

Ciao,

Doug

Dave

Jim plays a lot more than the tin whistle  ;D  And pat is a great vocalist.

Attachments

• piper2.jpg
    piper2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 9
When I was about 10 my mother forced me to 1 year of piano lessons. Just learned timing and enough to read a few notes. Played backup chords on piano with a highschool band once. Found the up front guitar players and singers were getting all the girls. Time to learn to play guitar and sing. I play by ear. Notes get in the way.Gotta feel it. Keep on singing and playin everyone. Shucks ....the most fun I ever had.... there was only two of us. Well, maybe 3 ...once.
Cliff

Dave Reavis said:
Jim Dick is holding out on you guys. He also plays the tin Whistle.

Dave in Nc

Dave,

I play a tune on the tin whistle. Not quite the same. ;D I now have a 4 string tenor guitar that is about 100 years old. Well, maybe not that old but old. Not sure what I'll do with it. Still keeping the Dulcimer in mind. If I get one I know where to find an instructor. ;D

Cliff,

I learned to play the pipes by sitting at the table with good pipers and listening to the tune while reading the music. Once I learned the tune I could then refresh my memory with the notes but I can't take a new piece and get the timing correct without hearing it.

Jim,
I would think the pipes are one of the hardest instruments to play well. Keep on pickin and grinnin!
Cliff

Cliff Boyd said:
Jim,
I would think the pipes are one of the hardest instruments to play well. Keep on pickin and grinnin!
Cliff

Cliff,

They can be difficult but once you get the breathing, blowing, squeezing, and fingering down it's pretty easy. :)

Thanks!.....Glad you like the songs.
Cliff

Jackliz said:
Thanks for sharing your music.? ?:D? ?:D? Enjoyed some of the clips.? :D.

Regards,
Liz.

Dulcimers...  We have a weekly jam in my park, (Fridays), and we have 4 ladies that play the dulcimer.  My impression is it is a nice parlor instrument for enjoyment, but in a jam, not that handy.  Maybe it is just them, but if we are not in D they can't play, and when they do a song in D, they are just difficult to accompany.  That part is probably me, but just hard to work around.

My peeve is they do songs I know, play 1 verse straight thru, end it.  No breaks, no passing it around.  Maybe in time they will learn about how jams work.  In the meantime I am just happy to have a weekly place to play.

PancakeBill said:
...they do songs I know, play 1 verse straight thru, end it. No breaks, no passing it around. Maybe in time they will learn about how jams work.

Hi Bill, any chance you could explain how a jam should work?

Hi Bill,

We have a Dulcimer group here at TGO. I was thinking about checking it out. I just met a couple that is staying here this month. She plays the Dulcimer and Guitar. She has two Dulcimers and has offered to get me started. She also agrees that it is not a jam instrument.

The dulcimer may not be a jam instrument in the sense that you guys are thinking of it in, BUT if
you go to any dulcimer festivals you will find jams with up to 20 or 30 or sometimes more dulcimers
playing. Both hammered and mountain. The problems I have observed with playing with other
instruments is they don't want to tone down the other instruments and they drown out the
dulcimer. There are several dulcimer and guitar groups about as well as dulcimer and autoharp groups.

Dave

How a Jam works:
Get a number of musicians together, assorted instruments.  Usually in a jam, not performing situation, you would form an inward facing circle.  Someone picks a song, and kicks it off.  The person picking will lead it.  The verse is played, and breaks or solos are essentially passed around.  Guitar player playes a verse, does some improv based on chord structure and harnmony, then it goes back to the group and singing.  This goes around till everyone that wannts a piece of it gets a shot at it. 

In a performance jam, it usually works about the same, but we might not drag a song out as long, and we would not be in a circle. More stretched out across the front. 

I do enjoy the dulcimer and the jam haas been established as a come one come all, so I wouldn't do anything to attempt to change it.  I just get a little frustrated during their songs.  Thei portion becomes more of a recital, then back to jamming.

Dave,

I found out we have a Dulicmer group at TGO. Also just met a couple from CT. She plays Dulcimer and Guitar. She has two Dulcimers and said she'd be happy to get me started. So much to do, so little time!!! :)

Jim... just say no... (G),  get a banjo!  Get something you can play alone or with others.  Wait, you play pipes, you need to play the banjo. the pipes of stringed instruments!
VBG

Hear about the banjo player that left his car unlocked with his banjo inside?  Terrible thing, he got back and you guessed it, 2 banjo's inside! 

Bill,

The Banjo has always interested me but I doubt my fingers will do what's necessary to play. :) I know how that banjo reproduction works. I've seen it with friends. Heck, I have two tin whistles!! :)

Back
Top Bottom