Need advice new to the RV world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc608

I would like to hear from people who have been pulling travel trailers or fifth wheels. If am currently looking for a half ton or one ton truck. There are several in my area that people have traded in on new ones thanks to the GM employee pricing. All these truck have between 50,000 to 90,000 miles, I hear that that is nothing to a diesel engine. My question is, that may be nothing to the engine but how about the componet parts. I would like advice of anyone who has had experience in the durability of the diesel trucks. I am not retired so I may pull my travel trailer once a year on long trips the rest will be short day trips.
Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the diesel at 50k and the basic engine (the block, pistons, etc) are still fine at 90k, assuming it has had reasonable maintenance (which mostly consists of regular oil changes).  Alternators, batteries, belts, hoses and all that sort of stuff is another story and some of them may be ready to fail at 90k+. Or maybe not until 140k+...  The transmission is another concern and once again, maintenance is the key.  A tranny that has been worked hard but not maintained well will have considerable wear.  All-in-all, I would want to stick with the 50k end of the available offerings, even if it cost a bit more.  I'd only take a 90k vehicle if there was good documentation of the previous owners maintenance.  Anybody who keep smaintenance records is probably taking good care of the vehicle.

You don't want a half ton if you are buying a truck for a tow vehicle - go for at least a 3/4 ton (Ford F250 or Chevy/GMC/Dodge 2500). The sturdier frame, larger brakes, bigger GCWR, etc. will make for a much better tow vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom