Woodward Dream Cruise 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Today is the Woodward Dream Cruise.  The Woodward Dream Cruise is the world?s largest one-day automotive event, drawing 1.5 million people and 30,000-40,000 classic cars each year.  Route 1, Woodward Avenue in Michigan was the first road to be paved with cement and really attracted kids and hot rods during the 50's, 60's and 70's.

We know about annual event because we live just off Woodward in Berkley, Michigan.  I walked over to Woodward today and took a few pictures of the event.

Attachments

• View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 33
  • View 2.jpg
    View 2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 32
  • View 3.jpg
    View 3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 31
  • View 4.jpg
    View 4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 31
  • View 5.jpg
    View 5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 30
  • VW Camper 1.jpg
    VW Camper 1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 31
  • VW Camper 2.jpg
    VW Camper 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 35
  • America.jpg
    America.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 35
  • Berkley Police Dept..jpg
    Berkley Police Dept..jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Teardrop Trailer 1.jpg
    Teardrop Trailer 1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Teardrop Trailer 2.jpg
    Teardrop Trailer 2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Teardrop Trailer 3.jpg
    Teardrop Trailer 3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 34
More of todays activity.

I really liked the Cadillac w the Northstar engine.  I was the design responsible engineer for a couple of years on the intake manifold when it first went into production.  When you work on stuff like that everyday you do not think about it.  This is the first picture I have of the original 1991.5 intake.

Attachments

• 1942 Willys Americar.jpg
    1942 Willys Americar.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 1959 Cadillac.jpg
    1959 Cadillac.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 1959 Cadillac Tail Fin.jpg
    1959 Cadillac Tail Fin.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 1959 Cadillac Tail Fin Lights.jpg
    1959 Cadillac Tail Fin Lights.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 1959 Cadillac w 1992 North Star Engine (My FIS Intake).jpg
    1959 Cadillac w 1992 North Star Engine (My FIS Intake).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 29
  • View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 26
  • View 2.jpg
    View 2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 25
  • View 7.jpg
    View 7.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 26
  • View 3.jpg
    View 3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 26
  • View 4.jpg
    View 4.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
  • View 5.jpg
    View 5.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 27
  • View 6.jpg
    View 6.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 33
Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing!

I think my favorite was the red, white, & blue '57 Chevy.

Thanks,

I also really liked the '57 Chevy.

The Dream Cruise takes place along a 16-mile stretch of Woodward Avenue through the nine host communities of Berkley, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Pontiac and Royal Oak, in Southeast Michigan.

I just covered one mile of it on the west side of Woodward for about 30 minutes.

Thanks Len and Jo,  I am awestruck; didn't know a parade existed like this anywhere.

Brought back many memories, especially the Willys; my first car was a 39' Willys. Some of the others were in my realm too... like the Westphalia.

carson FL.

Wow, and here we were excited because we got 150 cars at our local classic car show. Thanks for including the pics of the VWs...maybe next year we'll be there with ours :)

Wendy

There several days of cruz'n prior to the one day event.  Several communities have mini rallies and weekend cruises all summer long. Downriver where I lived we have the Downriver cruise.  It goes from Outer Drive Rd, south to the City of Trenton on Fort St. (M-85). 

Throughout southeast MI on Wed, Thurs, or Fri, you will see mini rallies.  We see a gathering of about 30 vintage Correvettes every Thurs night.  There's the 1930's club, the 50's Chevy club, and the Mustang club just to name a few.

Somewhere tucked in off the main drag on Woodward, are the 1899-1915 (I think the years are right) Oldsmobiles, Model A's and T's. We also see motorcycles, police, and vintage firetrucks. 

There are vendors everywhere, and the local radio broadcasts live from the Pub located on Woodward.  There is free entertainment almost all day long.

It can get crowded at times but, if you want to see almost anything that has a motor and wheels, it's been here or is here now.

After all, we are Motown/MotorCity

Wendy,
We saw a Thing yesterday.  It was a dark cream with cranberry trim.  It looked sweet.  But I like your colors better. You should bring her on over.

Len,
Great job on the pictures.  I know that can get difficult with all that is going on up there. (north of me). Keep them com'n.

Click here for the 2008 Woodward Dream Cruise.  And dream along.

Barb
1969 Gold Camaro
1970 396 Chevelle SS Blue
1971 Black Rally Nova
Cruised Telegraph Rd. (M-24)
Dragged Raced I-75 (always won)

Wendy,

Why not post photo's of yours (inside and out) on the class "B" section of the forum?  Would love to see your rig....and get ideas.

Barb,

The Saturday event is not really bad.  I wouldn't spend all day up there but an hour is OK.  All of the beer and drinks from the first years are gone.  The local police departments have it really down pat now.  Saturday night they close Woodward at 10pm and clear all traffic off.  It reopens at 11pm.  Earlier years you could hear engines squealing tires all night long now it is much more civilized.  The best cars of course are usually not on Woodward but parked and on display in lots and on lawns along the route.

We go the Berkley Friday night Classic Car Parade.  Only classic cars.  They used to have them two abreast but this year it was single file.  Do not know how many cars and trucks...maybe 100-150 not sure.  We walk over to 12 Mile in Berkley with chairs and Honey Baked box lunches, find some shade and watch the show.  Lot easier to see the cars.  One of the local restaurants has their lot filled only with Corvettes.   And as you said EVERY community along Woodward and in the area has their own events and parades going on that week.

Took a walk up to Woodward this afternoon at 2pm (Sunday) to see if anything was going on.  Most everything is gone...including the trash.  :) :)

Attachments

• 1 Party is Over.jpg
    1 Party is Over.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2 Neighborhood Exodus.jpg
    2 Neighborhood Exodus.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 3 Woodward On Sunday.jpg
    3 Woodward On Sunday.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 4 Still Some Driving.jpg
    4 Still Some Driving.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5 Still Parked 67 Pontiac.jpg
    5 Still Parked 67 Pontiac.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 6 Still Parked 67 Pontiac.jpg
    6 Still Parked 67 Pontiac.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 7 Going Home.jpg
    7 Going Home.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 24
  • 8 Cruise Forever.jpg
    8 Cruise Forever.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 23
Len and Jo said:
Wendy,

Why not post photo's of yours (inside and out) on the class "B" section of the forum?  Would love to see your rig....and get ideas.

Both our VWs are "works in progress." Since Mike's spending most of his time this summer working on the Thing, the Vanagon restoration has gone on the back burner. I was kind of hoping gas would go over $5/gallon cus I figured that would get him working on my Vanagon. (Just kidding about the price of gas but I would like to see the van finished....probably be fun for weekend trips.)

Enjoyed all the car pictures. Restoring cars seems to run in the family....Dad restored a 63 Plymouth and my sister and her husband have 51 and 56 Ford pickups (hers and his).

Wendy

We went  the first  3 years.  We use to park at the DTE office.  Which made a great base location.  Too many people there for me now. 

I'm glad the police have gotten a handle on this.  All the communities and the Hot Rod Assoc. have worked hard to make a fun and safe day.  It seems to grow larger and larger every year.

Thanks for all the pics.  I enjoyed them.  Brought back many many memories.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom