(Folk) Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horse

One of the things I've been wanting to do on this trip is to try to find local music at every place I go and try to record some of it for myself and my friends back home. That's because I love music and it'd probably be an awesome collection. Now, there are obvious problems. One, I've never really recorded music, so all I really have is a mic connected to a laptop (for now). Do you have any suggestions about this? I wouldn't mind investing a little, but not too much.

Horse,

This is one of those things where you can spend a LOT of money buying gear, or, you can pop for just a few hundred, it depends on how you want your recordings to sound, how professional you want to be, and how much you want to play with these items. 

For now, your laptop and mic seems not enough.  Why not try two mics (Shure can be relied upon) and a small mixer, 4-8 channels, available from $30-$200 and up at Musician's Friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=mixer&st=.  For the more inexpensive mixers check out the Tapcos, Mackies, Behringers, and of course the well-made Peavy (I prefer the Peavey, and not just because it's made in the USA).  You won't need a powered mixer if you're just recording unless you plan to use the system for playback (like a PA system). 

Spreading the two mics apart will give you better coverage, and a freeware audio recording and mixing studio called Kristal is available on the net.  Of course you'll need a couple of mic stands, or something on which to hang the mics, and all the proper cables.

This is a low bucks (but decent quality) intro to the world of audio recording.  From here the sky's the limit.

Steve

My suggestion would be to simply purchase the CD's the local artist has for sale.  Most artists/groups  have those for purchase. You get a variety, good quality and have not violated some of their requirements of "No recording devices allowed."  I've discovered even better music on the CD's than I heard in person.  I also go online to a city's web site and they list events and post who is playing where.  Local visitor centers will also have listings of entertainment.

Betty

I'm thinking GOOGLE may be your friend (And thanks for reminding me of something)

The problem in many communities is FINDING local folk music,  here in the Detroit area we have Mr. Matt Watroba and his radio program Folks Like Us, which makes it easy. However not every place has the equivalent.

They all have folk music venues,  But not all that well advertised.

Hence GOOGLE  I'm thinking "Folk music near zip code"  I just tried it on my home zip code and it seemed to give me some good leads.. And some very false hits too

Not to be a wet blanket, but we've never been to a music event that allowed recording. I believe copyright laws apply. But as Betty said, you can almost always buy CDs and they'll be much better quality than something you record with your laptop mic.

Wendy

I'm going to totally be a went blanket. :) As a musician, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the fastest way to wear out your welcome at any venue is to try recording the musicians without their specific permission. Even those folk/blue grass events are particular about that. Every musician first of all wants to protect their ability to profit from their own talents. Second, they want to control how their material is presented, meaning there is a desire by most for editorial control over any recording.

I would be very surprised if you found very many places that would allow you to record any performances without lengthy negotiations and monetary consideration. You can take your chance, but I wouldn't recommend it. People can get very ugly if they feel they are being exploited, no matter what your motivations are.

Attend music festivals. usually dry camping is included with the ticket price. You can camp, and record many informal picking sessions which can be as good as anything on stage.

I have been a musician all my life and I come from the Grateful Dead school of recording live acts. I am HONORED if someone actually wants to record anything I sing or play.

I have found that to be true in many places.. (Informal as good as/better than stage) Used to cart darling daughter to/from band camp and such.

I have an advantage when it comes to recordign.. This is not the reason, but I have a "Stelth" system (The reason follows) This consists of a portable MINI-DISC recorder that is small enough to fit in my pocket (Actually a bit smaller than a pack of cancer sticks)  and a set of Sound Professional Low Cost Binural Microphones with Crokae mounts (That is a popular eyglass retainer strap) Which by the day doubles as it's intended function. The ELectric Condenser mic elements mount right on the temple of my glasses giving me a very low cost "Head" type microphone (My head at that) for a very decent binural recording.

Now. Why the stealth rig?

Well... When I do a "Formal" recording I have to lug a mic stand, brackets, A pair of high quality dynamic Mics, Tapco Mixer/preamp/equlizer, FMAudio limiter, and whatever device I'm recording on along with all the connecting cables. Power supplies and cords.

The "Stealth" rig.. Is completly hands free save when activating or pausing the recorder .  No mic stand (Well,,, There is a Mic Stand.. Like I said at the radio station Sing Along "Hello, I'm Mike Stand"  (I got to hold the microphone))  and since the Mini-Disc runs on battery no cords.

Not quite as good as teh big box.. But a whole lot lighter and easier to carry.

Curiously enough, back in the late '70s/early '80s, a couple who played at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Denver actually made a couple of tapes (open reel) for me of their show for the evening (two separate occasions) at my request. I still treasure those recordings (later I also bought their LP). They actually used their own equipment, through their sound system, as I was at the hotel because of company business so had no equipment with me.

Granted that this is a (relatively) rare occurrence.

I have hooked my recorders to their sound board on occasion as well.

I have a lot of friends and acquentiences in the music business... I recall one concert I recorded live (using the stealth rig, with the performer's knowledge) After the concert a friend of hers ask about getting a recording.. I said "Well I can make you a tape if she (The performer) authorizes) MEW (The performer's name is Mary Ellen, I will not translate the W) said OK, and a week later I  hand delivered the tape since I was in the neighborhod.  She was impressed.

I only make copies for the performer or with the performer's permission.

We are more or less constantly photographed.  On a fairly regular basis, people make videos of our shows, and occasionally someone makes an audio recording.  We don't try to discourage it although sometimes the venue policies are more restrictive than our own policies.  Some of our shows end up on youtube.

There are substantial numbers of recordist-friendly bands although there are many bands that are not.  It helps to ask well beforehand before the act is in the last stages of getting ready for the show.  Our biggest concern would always be someone getting in the way of enjoyment of other audience members or otherwise interfering with the event.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom