EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Boondocking restrictions? where can't i go in CA?!  (Read 37655 times)

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Boondocking restrictions? where can't i go in CA?!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
... head inland around san luis obispo for some winery!

Try a bit further south around Buellton or Solvang.  That is Sideways country and the site of a number of very interesting vineyards and wineries -- Sanford, Foxen, Gainey, and La Fond for a few.   The Flying Flags RV park in Buellton is not a bad pied-a-terre.  Google Santa Yez Valley.

Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »
Yes.  Wendy is correct.  The AAA maps and books are really good.  I prefer them to most others.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
If you want a real taste of wineries, cross the Golden Gate bridge and head over to the Napa Valley, California's #1 wine area. Lots of vineyards, several hundred wineries, free tours and wine tasting. The vino eqivalent of a pub crawl.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:31:32 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 07:13:45 PM »
When we lived in Sebastopol (Sonoma County) one of our favorite Napa Valley wineries to take visitors to was Berringer Brothers.  Their wine is delicious, but the main attraction was the limestone caves, hollowed out years ago by Chinese workers, which maintain a constant temperature year round for storage of the wine in oak casks. 

Margi

Buddy Tott

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 02:10:20 AM »
Mike
If heading south down 101 from the Santa Cruz area, then (as others have suggested) the Santa Ynez area should not be missed, especially Solvang. It's a Danish village in the middle of California.  A decent place to camp in the area is at Lake Cachuma, a few miles south, runs around $28 a night for full hook-ups.  Flying Flags at Buellton OTH (about 15 miles away) is around $60 - depending on services.  I  expect to be there myself sometime next week.

BT
nil-permita illigitemii personae carborundum.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
Good suggestion re Solvang. We've taken many visitors there and they always enjoy walking around the numerous small shops where many of the shopkeepers are dressed in the Danish national costume.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Wendy,

I forgot to answer you.  I got on the Cal State website for parks; but to find out about the reservations with photos, it was ReserveAmerica.

We'll be here in Kernville all winter except for a trip to QZ and Palm Springs in January.  We'd love to get together with you guys.  We are right on the boundary for the Sequoia National Forest and there are several campgrounds that are either free or very resonable; but they are dry camping.  We also have other campgrounds with full hook ups.  It does gets cold up here in the winter, with an occasional snowfall.  The backyard is fenced so the canine "boys" can play to their heart's content.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

WilleyB

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
where can't i go in CA?!
Tall order, I believe the previous posts pretty well covered it. Now for just about a full coverage and where you can overnight in CA, I suggest you join the group in this link.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/OvernightRVParking/
When you get notification of acceptance, log on to to the site, click on "FILES" (left column)  then scroll down to "RV Parking & No Parking Locations " and you'll find all the Calif. locations. notes and location  directions. Locations in all other States and Can Prov are also available. For tank dumping you might find this site helpful http://www.sanidumps.com/

Cheers
Willey

My gosh! a Sept thread, sorry folks guess I'll have to click on that Mark all threads read button so this doesn't happen again.
Sorry  :-[
Willey
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:36:26 PM by WilleyB »
2000 Vanguard VXL2000
Just for Me the Missus and the fur baby
Home is Nova Scotia

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »
"Highway rest areas are posted against it as being just plain dangerous as well as being illegal. "

Is this something new?

The last I heard is that rest areas in CA are legal for RV's  as long as the max hours are not exceeded. The "no camping" signs only means no camping outside your vehicle, such as in a tent or sleeping bag outside.

And what makes them dangerous? I've used them countless times all over CA and other states, with no hassles.

-Don- San Francisco, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Auburn, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV or  Reno, NV

conniecatz

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »
Hi, We live in Santa Cruz...Signs are posted for parking restrictions. There are a few side streets with no postings on parking. I've noticed a trailer parked on Portola Drive in Capitola/Santa Cruz, just 2 blocks from the ocean in a Surfer paradise (over 1 year). This RV gets moved back and forth. I'm sure he is Boondocking. There are some problems with camping on the streets so be sure you read the street signs before you stay the night....I hope you have a nice trip.
FYI
Campgrounds at the ocean=New Brighton State Park, Seacliff Beach, Sunset Beach...enjoy :)

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »
There are some problems with camping on the streets so be sure you read the street signs before you stay the night....

Sometimes there are laws without the signs, such as right here in South San Francisco. Here, we may legally  park a RV on the street for a night before or after a trip, but not at any other time. I have got  several "warnings" when I had my RV parked here in front of my own home on the street for about a week. I usually can park it there for about a week before getting the warning and then I can get away with it again for a week or so a month or two later.

Sleeping in it overnight while parked on the street is also illegal here.

No signs for either. I checked into the laws after I got my first warning. Here, it's not a big deal for me because I can park the RV in my own driveway and that is legal, even if everybody can clearly see it. No HOA here.  But I normally keep it at my other home near Reno, where it cannot even be seen from the street because of the HOA rules. But I have a good place for it there on the side of the house, that keeps the HOA satisfied.

-Don- SSF, CA

-Don-   AA6GA

jack r

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 11:02:35 AM »
might review below site for park information all over th USA

http://www.rvparkreviews.com./

have a nice trip

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
might review below site for park information all over th USA

http://www.rvparkreviews.com./

That also has Mexico and Canada. Great information! And just in time for my month long trip to Canada that starts next week. Thanks for posting that!

-Don- SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

Rocdad

• 6' 2" Eyes of blue... and two dogs too!
    • CAL FIRE NEWS
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »
Be advised that many towns prohibit parking on public streets. California has a law prohibiting parking on the side of the road, i.e. that quiet place away from towns, apart from which it could be downright dangerous.

That inviting piece of land you might think of as a campground for the night will likely be private property, and you'd get a rude awakening if you camped there.

It's been many years since I went over the hill, but I don't recall anywhere in the Santa Cruz mountains where you can boondock with a view. There are, however, various campgrounds around Santa Cruz or nearby Monterey. The closest one to Santa Cruz is Moss Landing, but you'll have a nice view of the power station.

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS IS TRUE! Please cite law because I don't believe it exists! http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2007/veh/22500-22526.html
Bob O'Connor in RAM 2500 4X4 hauling 17' Forest River with two big dogs and I

http://facebook.com/rocdad
http://twitter.com/rocdad
http://twitter.com/CalFireNews
Be Safe - Lessons Learned - Honor the Fallen. .

Rocdad

• 6' 2" Eyes of blue... and two dogs too!
    • CAL FIRE NEWS
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 11:20:48 PM »
"Highway rest areas are posted against it as being just plain dangerous as well as being illegal. "

Is this something new?

The last I heard is that rest areas in CA are legal for RV's  as long as the max hours are not exceeded. The "no camping" signs only means no camping outside your vehicle, such as in a tent or sleeping bag outside.

And what makes them dangerous? I've used them countless times all over CA and other states, with no hassles.

-Don- San Francisco, CA
No it's NOT true and not dangerous... 24 hr max

Bob O'Connor in RAM 2500 4X4 hauling 17' Forest River with two big dogs and I

http://facebook.com/rocdad
http://twitter.com/rocdad
http://twitter.com/CalFireNews
Be Safe - Lessons Learned - Honor the Fallen. .

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2017, 11:33:05 PM »
Quote from: Rocdad
I DON'T BELIEVE THIS IS TRUE! Please cite law because I don't believe it exists!

Believe or disbelieve whatever you want. County and local rules apply, and we've been woken at 2:00am and told to move on because of a local restriction.

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 01:59:01 AM »

Tom is correct. You won't find what you're looking for in the California Vehicle Code, because laws preventing it aren't State laws, they're local ordinances (Municipal Codes.) In San Diego, for example, Sections 86.0139 through 86.0144 of the Municipal Code prohibit "Neighborhood Parking" in RVs. Other municipalities will have their own ordinances, while a few may not. Kind of ironic that it's illegal to park your RV on the street, but legal to pitch your tent on the sidewalk and camp in it overnight. It is California after all. :o

Kev
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:00:35 AM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
where can't i go in CA?!

Lots and lots of places.  It's changed a lot since we started RVing in 1972.  Back then we could stop in numerous places that are now prohibited.  In California many communities got fed up with people camping on their streets and enacted ordinances against the practice.  Our relatives lived in Santa Monica and they were allowed to park their motorhome on the street in front of their house for a maximum of three hours for loading and unloading.  Some towns require residents to obtain a special parking permit every time they want to park their RV on the street to load it.  One time in Bar Harbor, Maine we asked a business owner if we could park overnight in his parking lot.  He said, if it were up to him he would say yes, but the town had an ordinance against overnight parking - even on private property.  He said the police would come by in the middle of the night and tell us to leave so he had to say no.

As to rest areas, always be aware.  Florida had a serious problem a number of years ago when some tourists (in rental vehicles identified as such) were murdered in a rest area.  Today Florida has police patrol rest areas.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Labor day is 1st September yes? we don't pick up the RV until the 9th after San Francisco so that week should be fairly clear then you think?
We don't make it that easy.  Labor Day is the 1st Monday in September.  This year it is September 4.  Labor Day crowds will have mostly dispersed by the 9th.  But, the 9th is a Saturday and finding a camp site that night could get iffy if you don't make earlier arrangements.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
Tom, Mike's question was posted in 2008, and he hasn't been here since.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Tom, Mike's question was posted in 2008, and he hasn't been here since.
Well, hell! >:(
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Hosted by Over The Network