my 1974 Dodge Rockwood Project -with photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1275gtsport

back in june I bought an old 74 Rockwood. I knew there was some water damage. the owner had told me it was leaking the year before and he had sealed the roof and it stopped. I looked at the out side of the roof and there were a few cracks in the seams but over all looked fine for a 74. well I think the photos will speak for them selves.

Attachments

• first day.jpg
    first day.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 157
OK some more then

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 130
  • bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 117
  • shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 126
Looks like a pretty nice older unit.  Fix the water damage and have fun with it.  Keep the pics coming as you go!

I almost bought a Rockwood once. Couldn't get the guy to deal right though. Anyway, I've always thought that they are some of the nicest C's around. As far as fixing the water damage, it looks like you are well on your way. Also, older is better if you got a great deal. I figure that my 89 Telstar, perfect condition and low miles, I bought this year at about $35000 less than newer units we were looking at is a steal and I can buy lots of gas for the money we saved. Oh, BTW, mileage is close to 10 despite being a Ford 460.

I would say that in 1974 this was a really nice unit. However this is not the first time it has been rebuilt. our plan is not to restore to show room condition but to fix to a useable condition. the structure will be top notch mind you. the rear of the camper has "dropped" about 2 inches due to rot in the floor support. when it was replaced by the PO the camper was not jacked up to its correct height. we will try to fix that. several of the roof "trusses" have rotted off at the ends and a lot of the top sills of the walls are gone as well. when looking at the pictures I am seeing the over all complexity of this rebuild and it is kind of overwhelming. however if one just looks at the smaller jobs (like running a wire for the new back up camera) it is not that bad one thing at a time. sort of like watching your pennies and the dollars will take care of them selves.
this is what she looked like this morning. hope to get some work done this weekend. need to install some brace work before removing the rest of the panels.

Attachments

• from the back.jpg
    from the back.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 112
  • from the front.jpg
    from the front.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 106
forgot to take pics with the braces holding the walls in. we ended up removing every last piece of ceiling panel. although the two panels over the bunk were ok. except for a bit of surface dis-colourization. the frame work under was fine with no rot. (most likely the only part of the RV that didn't have some rot. one thing is it really takes so much longer to put it back together :)

Attachments

• bunkleft.jpg
    bunkleft.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 83
  • bunkright.jpg
    bunkright.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 74
rjf7g said:
When do you want to start work on my 1992 Fleetwood?

well lets see 13 days to get two ceiling panels and a few wall panels up. that is four running feet of a 22 foot rv... I should have it finished by Oct, 09 !

Oh and not only have I learned that it takes forever to go back together but never again will I attempt a project of this size . I knew that if you could see water damage on the outside it was worse on the inside. but I can still not believe how MUCH more is on the inside. it looks like water has been coming in almost since 1974 Oh and this is not the first time this unit has been rebuilt. there is two layers of paneling on the roof. I removed none of it either. the roof coating seems to be holding and I believe if it ain't broke too bad leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom