EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Camper bed mattress help  (Read 18817 times)

RDub

Camper bed mattress help
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
Hello
My wife and I just got a 2000 8'6 Fleetwood Angler cab-over and we took it out for an outing last weekend.  The 3" mattress is horrible..  Could not sleep well at all.
The mattress area measures 60"x80".
Where would I shop for a better mattress?  I would want something not thicker than about four inches.  Any higher and ya start running out of room.
Thanks for the help.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Camper bed mattress help
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
Try getting a memory foam topper to put on the current mattress.  They are available at Costco and Sam's Club as well as many other places.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
I suspect the "mattress" is just a piece of upholstered 3" foam anyway. You can add another 1"  layer, but that may not do much if the problem is lack of support. You might want to consider a higher density foam, which will give a firmer feel. Most upholstery shops and some craft stores can get it for you if they don't have it in stock.

A mattress is a very personal thing - what is comfortable to me might be agony for you, so it is hard for us to recommend what you need for your comfort.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
When the mattress in our old Class C became uncomfortable, we added an egg-crate-type topper and that made it tons more comfortable. In fact, it was still more comfortable when we sold the RV than the mattress in our new Class A when we bought it. I'd start with something less expensive, like the egg-crate pad or memory foam and if that doesn't cut it, look around for a new mattress.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Woody

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »
The mattress in my class A was hard as a rock and uncomfortable to sleep on. I solved the problem by adding the memory foam topper mentioned in a prior post. I think the 4" model cost around $90 at Target.

Woody

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
I threw out the soft foam mattress on the maiden voyage on our coach and replaced it with an air mattress, a knock-off of the Sleep Number mattress we have at home. I'd rather sleep on a sheet of plywood than one of those silly egg crate foam things.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

RDub

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:40:32 PM »
Well everyone, thanks for the replies.  Now I have a couple things to try. :) 

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:33:22 PM »
We got our 4 inch memory foam mattress at Costco. 
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

meredog

• ---
    • Justin Carriage
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:27 AM »
 we also went with a 3 inch Memory foam (from Sams club).  we put it under the mattress as when memory foam gets cold it gets hard
06 Dodge one ton dually---automatic---cummins
53' Racecar Trailer
28' Racecar trailer

rubysamm

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »
I have an air mattress (sleep by number) and it goes with me with whatever camper I might own.  The first thing I do with the existing mattress is wrap it in plastic and put it in the shed.  We put the air mattress on and use that until the next camper. 
I also have the same style mattress for the Stick house bed.  Nothing like it.  I like a softer mattress and Significant other likes more firm.  Works great for us.
Can't wait to fly south

lets go

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:37 AM »
I went to a fabric wearhouse they carry all kinds of foam for couches chairs ect... they have 4" and 5" foam at varying densities , a 4" piece x 77"x 60" is around $140 and gives you much more head room,could be an alternative to a matress?????

bill philip

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
A 60 X 80 Matress is a standard queen. If it is 60x74, it is a short queen and it has to be made. I got one through Serta. They will make odd sizes.

Hosted by Over The Network