Camper bed mattress help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDub

Hello
My wife and I just got a 2000 8'6 Fleetwood Angler cab-over and we took it out for an outing last weekend.  The 3" mattress is horrible..  Could not sleep well at all.
The mattress area measures 60"x80".
Where would I shop for a better mattress?  I would want something not thicker than about four inches.  Any higher and ya start running out of room.
Thanks for the help.

Try getting a memory foam topper to put on the current mattress.  They are available at Costco and Sam's Club as well as many other places.

I suspect the "mattress" is just a piece of upholstered 3" foam anyway. You can add another 1"  layer, but that may not do much if the problem is lack of support. You might want to consider a higher density foam, which will give a firmer feel. Most upholstery shops and some craft stores can get it for you if they don't have it in stock.

A mattress is a very personal thing - what is comfortable to me might be agony for you, so it is hard for us to recommend what you need for your comfort.

When the mattress in our old Class C became uncomfortable, we added an egg-crate-type topper and that made it tons more comfortable. In fact, it was still more comfortable when we sold the RV than the mattress in our new Class A when we bought it. I'd start with something less expensive, like the egg-crate pad or memory foam and if that doesn't cut it, look around for a new mattress.

Wendy

The mattress in my class A was hard as a rock and uncomfortable to sleep on. I solved the problem by adding the memory foam topper mentioned in a prior post. I think the 4" model cost around $90 at Target.

Woody

I threw out the soft foam mattress on the maiden voyage on our coach and replaced it with an air mattress, a knock-off of the Sleep Number mattress we have at home. I'd rather sleep on a sheet of plywood than one of those silly egg crate foam things.

Well everyone, thanks for the replies.  Now I have a couple things to try. :) 

I have an air mattress (sleep by number) and it goes with me with whatever camper I might own.  The first thing I do with the existing mattress is wrap it in plastic and put it in the shed.  We put the air mattress on and use that until the next camper. 
I also have the same style mattress for the Stick house bed.  Nothing like it.  I like a softer mattress and Significant other likes more firm.  Works great for us.

I went to a fabric wearhouse they carry all kinds of foam for couches chairs ect... they have 4" and 5" foam at varying densities , a 4" piece x 77"x 60" is around $140 and gives you much more head room,could be an alternative to a matress?????

A 60 X 80 Matress is a standard queen. If it is 60x74, it is a short queen and it has to be made. I got one through Serta. They will make odd sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom