Any organ players around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
As reported in other topics, I've been trying to revive my limited knowledge of music and electronic keyboard playing. I've recently made several visits to the home of a neighbor where I spotted an unused organ. I haven't gone beyond turning it on and playing the first bar (measure) of Oh Danny Boy, but the sound is quite different from any of the synthesized organ sounds on my electronic keyboard.

I recall a few years ago ago taking keyboard lessons with a guy who told me he was brought up playing an organ, and explained how difficult it was vs playing the piano or keyboard.

Before I take my music over to my neighbor's house, any suggestions from experienced organ players?

BTW when I was a teenager, I switched from a Baptist chapel with a huge pipe organ to a CoE church with a huge pipe organ. The old guy who played the organ at CoE was 66 years old, which was why we called him "Clickety Click", the UK bingo term for the number 66.

My job was to inflate the huge manual bellows that provided air to all those pipes, a rather noisy "pumping" action. In addition to regular Sunday service, I'd be called into action for weddings and other services. As we came out of a quiet prayer, Clickety Click would rap on the side of the organ, my cue to get those bellows inflated in almost zero time so he could hit the first note. No air, no note, and I used to pump my heart out to get the bellows inflated.

When Barb and I finally do take to the road I'll be taking my electronic keyboard with me.  I also own a Peavey sound system (portable) I thought I would pack along, as well.  I live for the day when we can sit in a circle of friends and sing 'Shanty Town' or any of the other sing-along songs.

I'd love to join you, but would more likely sing along. My electronic keyboard skills are not yet on a par with my PC keyboard skills, and Chris tells me I'm the fastest 1-finger typist she knows. I can just about manage another finger on the left hand to play the 1-finger chords.

Like Tom, I putter a bit on an electronic keyboard but can barely stumble through the melody with an occasional chord added by the left hand. Maybe someday my keyboard skills will be get decent enough to play for a sing along, but for now I'll stick to the singing [which my first love anyway].

LOL Carson, I'll bring the earplugs. Wearing them will be optional.

.... I'll stick to the singing [which my first love anyway].

Well I'll be darned. After all these years, I find that out today. If I'd known, we coulda got the karaoke machine out while you were here!

Hi Tom

Well an older thread to be sure but I guess I'll post up that by training my main instrument is (pipe) organ.  It's a demanding instrument to play well.  There's no real substitute for daily practice and instruction from someone who has achieved mastery.  The hand technique differs from piano in a number of important ways, and there is the matter of the pedalboard.

Considering how long ago this thread was initiated, I would presume that there aren't a lot of RVers on this forum that have much interest in the organ world.  :-\

I am probably one of the few weirdos on this Forum, who is so totally engaged in the organ world.

My home organ, is a III/44 (three-manual, 44 stop) Phoenix Organ:

http://phoenixorgans.com/installation.php?installation=77

There really isn't another digital organ manufacturer in the entire world that can come even close to emmulating the awesome digital instruments built by Phoenix!!  :)

I seem to recall, long, long ago: an RVer who had a (Conn?) theatre organ installed in his motorhome. And in moments of weakness, I tend to dream about that kind of nonsense. But until then, my travelling instrument is an aged PSR 2000 Yamaha arranger keyboard.

Thanks for the link Stan. The phoenix sure is a nice instrument. I sure wish I'd learned to play. My first exposure to the wonderful organ sound was at Sunday services (used to attend three times each Sunday). Attached is a scan of a photo my Dad took of me sitting alongside the organist. Those pipes sure put out a nice sound.

Attachments

• Penuel_organ-2.jpg
    Penuel_organ-2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 17
The Phoenix sure is impressive. I have a 76 key Casio synth that has about 30 different organ voices built in out of over 600 different voices. My organ can do one thing the Phoenix can't go, it fits into my motorhome.

I just to play a Hammond B3 with the foot pedals when I was in college. They had one that could be played whenever you wished. They sound out of this world when the Leslie kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom