Kilts, haggis and habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,
[Ned] Sorry about that, I hit the wrong button and totally farkled your message.  It was the one about Pommes Frittes.

RV Roamer said:
Yes indeed, "French" fries are eaten in France. Oddly enough, they are called "Pommes Frites", which can be loosely translated as "English Fries".? ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries#Origin_of_the_name

Hi Gary
Not loosely, tend more to be lou....  (joke)

Pommes frites comes from pomme de tere  Patato          translated word for word it means apple from the ground.
Someway I think you new this....
Great search  good site

LOL Ned, I've done that a few times myself (accidentally edited someone's message instead of replying to it).

All I said in that message was that I knew about the pomme frittes name, but haven't seen them served in a French restaurant or seen Frenchmen eating them out of newspaper in the street.

I would have fixed the error, but due to some overzealous tab closing, I lost the original text.

It's nice that the English have found some use for a newspaper besides wrapping the garbage :)

Ned said:
It's nice that the English have found some use for a newspaper

Er...where have you been? Fish and chips (aka fries) have been wrapped in newspaper for as long as I can remember. They're actually wrapped first in a grease-proof paper (stops the newsprint getting onto the chips  ;D) and then wrapped in newspaper. The newspaper acts as an insulator and keeps 'em warm.

A couple of days ago one of our UK visitors was telling me that they now use fake newspaper  ???

I knew about the fish and chips and the newpaper, I was just remarking that were very few other uses I've found for one.  I prefer to get trustworthy news from the internet :D

I haven't taken a newspaper in many years. Hated the newsprint on my hands, hated all the ads, hated having to deal with disposal of old newspapers, hated having newspapers pile up in the driveway when the office &/or the carrier couldn't get the vacation hold right.

BTW there used to be another use for newspapers, long before the days of computers and the internet.

Obviously you and I share the same thoughts on newspapers.  Been years since we have taken newspapers for the same reasons.  Much prefer just reading news on the internet.

The last newspaper I read was in Rancho Mirage, just before we went on the road, in May, 1997.

Karl said:
Jim,

Depends on how good you are on the pipes when Tom, in his kilt, cuts the haggis. ;D  Yeah, I know he said he doesn't do haggis.

Karl,

If you're going to buy I'll start practicing!!! ;D ;D

Tom said:
I don't do kilts either Karl. But Jim has a custom-made one that fits him pretty good.

Thanks, Tom. Now everyone will see me in a kilt! I have to say the seamstress did a fantastic job with few supplies!!! :) Maybe I'll commission her someday to do a real one. ;)

Gary has already mentioned playing at the SE rally. I haven't had them out since Moab but might soak the reed again soon. The neighbor next to our daughter is in an acoustic band and asked if the practice sessions bother us. I said they didn't and perhaps I could now practice the pipes. He said it would be fine with him. His name is Ian and his wife is Shannon! ;D ;D

Tom said:
The second photo is with Jim Dick when he and his wife Pat visited our home.

They don't, or at least they didn't when I lived there. People in the UK call them "chips", while people in the U.S. call them French fries. Like you, I have no idea why they're called that. Do the French eat them?

Tom,

Fond memories!!! :)Those mussles were great!

Many are now calling them American Fries. :)

Ned said:
I knew about the fish and chips and the newpaper, I was just remarking that were very few other uses I've found for one.  I prefer to get trustworthy news from the internet :D

Ned,

The newspaper must be softer than the Sears catalog! ;D ;D ;D Certainly better than corn cobs!!

Ned said:
The last newspaper I read was in Rancho Mirage, just before we went on the road, in May, 1997.

You're obviously a late adopter to non-print news  ;D

I still like the printed medium.  Although, now that I won't be able to keep a library, maybe I ought to re-examine the eBooks.

Also called Freedom Fries in some establishments.

Back
Top Bottom