Quartzsite 2009 Forum Rally Sign Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris

I'm going to miss you at Indio & QZ....So I think you should have Mimi drive while you rest in the MH bed.

Terry,

I don't know if you ever have laid in the bed while the coach was driven but it sounds if you are in the middle of an earthquake.
It's good to hear that Betty is doing OK, take care and spoil her, she is a special lady.
If everything goes well we may re think our travel plans. I always look forward particular to the FMCA in Indio and the time spend in between towards Quartzite.
If we make it to QZ, I want to see if you can keep up with us off road with that new S.U.V. :)

chris

Chris

Hopefully with the doctor moving up the surgery you will have a fast recovery and be in fine shape for Indio and QZ. Hard to think about either without both you and Mimi.

chrpennings said:
I was on the long waiting list for Hip surgery and suddenly they had a cancellation and now are scheduled for surgery next week.

You just may be able to make QZ, Chris!! Having had both of my hips replaced in the past year, I can give you some recovery milestones that may allow you to make the trip. I will assume your op is scheduled for about 11/15. Are you having it done at Kaiser? If so, the surgeons there have done thousands so you are in good hands. Here are some milestones that I recorded. Recovery from my 2nd (right hip) op was about 1 1/2 weeks faster than the left hip. You are just a young fellow - so yours should go quicker. :)

o You will be up the AM after surgery. You won't walk far -- but you will be walking w/a walker.

o By the 3rd day you will have progressed to walking down the hall a ways, and also up and down a group steps using the walker that the PT's will have set up for you. If you pass that test, they will release you after day 3.

o The next milestone will be getting from the walker to a cane. That will take another 3 to 4 weeks -- so about the 3rd week in December. Your home PT and Occupational Therapist (OT) will move you along -- but will watch you closely. DO THE EXERCISES they teach.

o On the 1st replacement, I was behind the wheel of my Jeep in the middle of week 6 - and on the 2nd, was behind the wheel in 4 1/2 weeks. Slowly and very carefully, but in there and driving. The surgeons criteria for driving my Jeep was that I had to feel OK on just the cane -- and not on pain pills anymore. If it is your left hip, starting to drive will be a bit easier -- in that you can't apply brake pedal pressure with the surgery leg. However, I was OK with doing that with my left leg, whereas I could handle the gas pedal OK with my surgery leg.

o So that should give you 2 or 3 weeks to progress to the RV.

Actually, driving the RV would not be such a problem -- whereas getting the RV ready to drive will require help. There are very strong rules that must be followed to avoid pulling that sucker out of the socket during the 1st 6 months to 1 year. For example, you will not want to ever have your knees higher than your hips. Very difficult to get an RV ready to roll with that constaint. And no twisting or bending over and such.

So bottom line, Chris, if you can get help getting ready to travel, you should be just fine driving - tho you will need rest more often that usual. Actually, when I say you will need help -- that would mean in that time frame, there would be little you could do to get an RV ready to travel.

Whatever you decide Chris -- let me know if there is any way I can help you along. Will try to contact you guys when I visit SJ later this month and at Christmas. My plan is to head South from SJ the day after Christmas with family there. Good luck, my friend. You will be "soooo" glad you have decided to have this done.

Bob,

Appreciate giving me all that information it will come in very handy. Yes I do have Kaiser and I have confidence in the capabilities of the Surgeon. He has been with Kaiser for 24 years and all he does is hip surgery about 200-300 a year. I was on a long 3 months waiting list and asked to put me on a cancellation list. Well a week later I got a call and they had me come  over right away to start the prep process. Unfortunately it's my right hip and driving the motorhome will be more difficult since you mentioned not to put pressure on the right hip while braking. The steering column is right in the middle and crossing over left to right with my foot is not possible. Fortunately I have a driver and the only thing I have to do is be very nice to her for driving me around.
Please give us a call and see if we can get together when you get to San Jose, we are only 5 minutes away from your family.

Thanks again

chris

Chris

If you decide to come to Indio/QZ  I can help you with hooking/unhooking & any other chores that require bending.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Chris

If you decide to come to Indio/QZ  I can help you with hooking/unhooking & any other chores that require bending.

Chris

See if your doctor will sign off on a temporary handicapped parking permit, that'll get you a parking spot a lot closer to everything. We also would be more than happy to help out, both at Indio and QZ.

Good suggestion Bernie. OTOH when my doctor gave me a slip to take to the DMV, I waited in a long line, hurting the whole time. When I got to the counter, the gal at the DMV told me "handicapped have to go to the next line". I (literally) hopped to the next line and waited again. This line was attended by the gal servicing the prior line, but only when she had nobody left standing in that line. I finally limped back to the car after long, painful waits, glad to be able to hang the handicapped decal on my rear view mirror. But, what I discovered was that handicapped parking slots were often filled by folks who appeared to have no discomfort walking to the stores.

Tom said:
Good suggestion Bernie. OTOH when my doctor gave me a slip to take to the DMV, I waited in a long line, hurting the whole time. When I got to the counter, the gal at the DMV told me "handicapped have to go to the next line". I (literally) hopped to the next line and waited again. This line was attended by the gal servicing the prior line, but only when she had nobody left standing in that line. I finally limped back to the car after long, painful waits, glad to be able to hang the handicapped decal on my rear view mirror. But, what I discovered was that handicapped parking slots were often filled by folks who appeared to have no discomfort walking to the stores.

Sounds kinda stupid to me having a person with a handicap stand in a long line to get the permit.  Don't they have a procedure in place so that a deserving person could get one by mail?

Bernie,
the Doctor gave me a sign off form without asking and told me after the surgery he most likely would give me an other one for a year. I had no problem at the DMV since they have a special line for handicaps and they give you priority so the waiting time was less than 15 minutes.
If we make it to QZ I will check on ebay if some one has a "handicapped parking only" sign for sale. I can place it next to Ron's full hookup facility :)

chris

chrpennings said:
Bernie, the Doctor gave me a sign off form without asking and told me after the surgery he most likely would give me an other one for a year.

Yes. the placards are standard w//Kaiser. Each of mine were for 6 months - tho after 4 months I was off of the cane and didn't use them anymore.  And as Tom mentions - good luck finding an empty HC site where you really need one <sigh>. Such as when visiting your doctor at Kaiser.

I now park on the far side of lots away from my desrination because it so great to walk again w/o pain . . .

chrpennings said:
If we make it to QZ I will check on ebay if some one has a "handicapped parking only" sign for sale. I can place it next to Ron's full hookup facility :)

chris

Chris,

I got one of those signs. Peg and I are still trying to decided if we can make it to Q this year. If we come I'll bring the sign for you.  ;D

because it so great to walk again w/o pain

Bob, I am so very glad to hear you say that.  I know you were suffering for a long time.  Wonderful news!

ArdraF

Don, I hope you and Peg can make Qtz this year. We missed you last year.

Wendy
Sand Island, Bluff, Utah

Bob,

I'm sorry to say we won't make it this year, again. I hope someday soon we will be back. If we do I might not return east!!! I really miss these rallies and would love to attend again. When we do return I want to see that photographic portfolio you said you would show me. :) I miss our times together.

ArdraF said:
Bob, I am so very glad to hear you say that.  I know you were suffering for a long time.  Wonderful news!

Thank you, Ardra.  Now we can go out to dinner without you and Jerry having to hold me up in the soft serve desert line <grin>.

I appreciate your thoughts here . . .

Jim Dick said:
I'm sorry to say we won't make it this year, again. I hope someday soon we will be back. If we do I might not return east!!! I really miss these rallies and would love to attend again. When we do return I want to see that photographic portfolio you said you would show me. :) I miss our times together.

And we miss having you guys, Jim. Was hoping you would make it this time - especially with gas prices getting so low.

My film camera day's portfolio is always in my rig, and I have looked forward to showing it to you.  I have no releases so can't post publically.

As I have been telling Ron R., it is OK to change your mind. We'll keep the light on for you just in case.

Hi Bob,

Sure wish we could make it. Since the economy is so bad not many rigs were sold this summer so I only worked about half of what I normally do. Maybe next year if the prices stay down. Most likely I won't be working next summer but we can save money by not traveling north. :)

Will look forward to that portfolio!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom