Quartzsite 2009 Forum Rally Sign Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Good suggestion Bernie. OTOH when my doctor gave me a slip to take to the DMV, I waited in a long line, hurting the whole time. When I got to the counter, the gal at the DMV told me "handicapped have to go to the next line". I (literally) hopped to the next line and waited again. This line was attended by the gal servicing the prior line, but only when she had nobody left standing in that line. I finally limped back to the car after long, painful waits, glad to be able to hang the handicapped decal on my rear view mirror. But, what I discovered was that handicapped parking slots were often filled by folks who appeared to have no discomfort walking to the stores.

Tom, I'm going to jump in here as I think a lot of people wonder about those who use handicapped parking who appear to have no discomfort walking to stores.  I use a handicapped permit and appear to have no discomfort walking to stores.  I am a heart patient.  My discomfort comes in the form of angina which isn't readily obvious to others. 

I know a lot of people see this and think I am abusing the system, so this may clear it up for some.

Understood George and appreciate you jumping in. My Dad aso had a handicapped decal for good reason, although he appeared to walk to and from his car without discomfort.

I look normal, too. My regrets to those who are offended. Wish it wasn't necessary. Nothing I'd like better than to walk wherever I wished.

The most amazing thing, to me, is the number of people who will angrily tell me all about it!  ::) Frightening, a few times.  :eek:

Several times, over the years, I have gotten back into the car and locked it, until they left. Once, I locked it and called 911. The chap saw the phone and departed. Once, later, I put the phone to my ear and pretended to be talking. That guy left, also, hurriedly.  :D  That was in the handicap parking area at the VA Hospital! Wonder what he was there for, if he knew anything about patients there, and how long he'd been going there.  ::)

Phone doesn't have to be on!  ::)  ;D

Ray D  ;D

I never found concern over how a person looks when they have a plate or card indicationg they are handicapped.  However, when I happen to notice somebody with no card or plate has parked in a handicap area I will point it out to management.  Those parking areas are designated for the handicapped and not for some joker that takes the parking spot because they are just going to be a minute and are too ignorant and lazy to respect the reason for handicap parking spaces.

I have a problem with folks who have a handicapped placard and park in handicapped parking and then some teenager jumps out and runs into the store. I see this a lot with older people driving who look like they qualify for the H/C spot but I doubt if the running teenager does.

Wendy
Zion NP

Mea Culpa  :-[

For so many years, I used to notice as people parked their cars, with placards, and then walked quite well into a store. They pick up a basket and push it around, shopping. "I wonder who's placard they borrowed? The jerk!"  :mad:

Well, there is some justice in my condition, now. I deserve it, in a way.  :(

On a good day, I park in the handicap space, walk into a store, get a basket and shop. The basket doubles for a walker. I use it for support and balance, as well as for carrying things. I guess, I can't blame someone for what they might think.  ::)

Like I said, "there is some justice."

Got both the limp and the cane down pat, some of the time. When pushing the basket, I carry the cane in the basket. Have trouble remembering which leg has the limp.  :D :D  ;D

Ray, with your sense of humor you will have a long life. Keep it up, old boy.

Laughter cures all ills, remember that. I intend to live to 150.  ;D

carson FL

Back to the Rally talk.  I want to attend the 2009 RV Forum Rally at Quartzsite.  Lower gas prices will help me make the trip.  I have a heart condition and that may stop me but lets hope not.  Also I am dependent on road conditions on the Siskiyou (sp) Mountains in Northern California on I-5.

I am excited to join you.  So put down Ken Lane and a 6 pound Yorkie named Willie from Oregon.

Thanks Bob for putting all this information together for us first timers to Quartzsite.  I have read so much and with your information almost feel like I have been there before.  Looking forward to meeting you guys.

papahog said:
What is the Cell Phone capeabilities at the camp site at Quartzsite and the show itself?

There are several cell towers including Verizon on a hilltop in plain view from the Forum site. IIRC I had four bars and EVDO last year.

I figure there are not many 30 AMP hook ups in the desert.  Do you think I should get a EU 2000 for my laptop, coffee, micro wave and keep my batteries up?  I don't really want to spend the Grand right now but seems like it would be a good thing to have anyway.

Also we do loose power where I am parked once in a while in Jan and Feb but then I won't be here during those months.

papahog said:
I am excited to join you.  So put down Ken Lane and a 6 pound Yorkie named Willie from Oregon.

Thanks Bob for putting all this information together for us first timers to Quartzsite.  I have read so much and with your information almost feel like I have been there before.  Looking forward to meeting you guys.

You are welcome, Ken -- glad you can attend. Will get you and Willie on my webpage list later this evening. When I first started figuring how much it was going to cost me in early June, prices on gas were over $4.00 whereas this AM in Rocklin, CA they were $1.99. And each day they go down a bit more. And going to AZ is a case of the farther you go the better the prices get. After filling in this area I refill in Santa Nella on the 5 -- and that gets me to Majove, CA where the prices are ususally under NCal pricing. That tank then gets me to Parker, AZ. I ususally stop in Parker to fill up before QZ (both and propane) as the prices are better than QZ.

You asked about an IU2000 genset. I might suggest waiting until you get to QZ. You may find a unit for less once you get there. There are many Genset vendors to get ideas and pricing from. Also, a number of knowledgeable folk are attending the rally so you can brainstorm your situtation with them as well. I keep threatening to buy something like an IU2000, but keep running my Class A genset each year instead. I could run my rig genset for about 10-12 years on that $1,000 a smaller genset would cost. But pulling a trailer is a whole different ball game -- and if you are going to boondock, you "will" need to get hose batteries back up somehow.

Bob you answered a question I was coming here to post.  Should I wait till I get to the QZ Rally.  Thank you.  I will wait and maybe get a deal down there.  I was wondering about that with Honda being a sponsor of the main RV show.

Thanks again.
Ken

I have lots of questions.  That is funny because I have read so much about QZ that I almost feel I have been there.  LOL

First question...  What day will the first RV Forum people be setting up camp in our little corner of the desert?  I will be there the end of December and have a place to hook up until the 16th at a Oregon neighbors winter home in QZ.  Then I must move and it is that day I am hoping to move to the Rally site in the desert.  Will someone be there?

Second...  My friend from NC will join me for a few days.  He will fly in the first part of the week.  Which day would be good for me to get away to pick him up in Phoenix so that I don't miss some Rally event.  19th. 20th, 21st,  He will return to NC on Sunday the 25th. 

Which brings me to my last question, Security...  I suppose there are enough of us there to watch each others rig while we are there but I am wondering about Sunday the 21st when I return my friend to the Phoenix airport. Should I take my trailer with me or will somebody from the rally be hanging on for a few more days?  I would like to hang on a bit after the 25th if someone of us will be there.  I do not have to be home till the 2nd of February.

Back
Top Bottom