California - love it or hate it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
I have been told that is the way it is in California but we probabluy won't run into that since we have no real desire to go to CA anyway.
[edit]Change subject line.[/edit]

We know, Ron.  Heard it (too many?) times before.  :D  Don't forget, some of your best friends are Californians.

Margi

Hey Ron, what's your aversion to California? I can think of many places in the US and overseas I'd rather not revisit, and some places I'd prefer to be. But none that would cause me to be so outwardly negative on any place, with the possible exception of QZ  ;D

Ned said:
Margi, or ex-Californians :D

Native Californians are always Californians.  :D  Kind of like being a Packers fan ... doesn't matter where you are, you're still from Wisconsin.  :D

Margi

Ron said:
We do have many very dear friends in CA and even several relatives. 

I know ... just ringing your bell a little, Ron.  :D  We Californians get mighty tired of hearing the anti-California statements and jokes.  There are some areas of California I wouldn't want to visit, but there are other areas which are both uncrowded and awesomely beautiful.  We'll keep those spots a secret for as long as we can.  ;D

Margi

Margi, Ned wasn't "native" to California  ;D

Margi, you are so right.  And we're also ex-Californians too, but not natives.  We would probably still be in the Palm Springs area if it wasn't in California :)

Tom,

The only place we have been that I don't really care to ever go back is Quebec.  Don't get me wrong We really  enjoy the rest of Canada and plan to visit the other provinces again but after living in Quebec for three years I don't really care to go back.  

As for CA we don't like the traffic and congestion.  Lived in CA for a few years too and have no interest in living there again.  Personal choices again.  Would not knock anybody that likes it there that is their choice.  Some folks don't like the desert others do. Does that make the desert or CA a bad thing?  Definitely not.  

Where in CA did you live Ron? The major traffic where we live is on the water, and is comprised of the USPS mailman and an occasional Sheriff or USCG patrol boat.

Of course, when Grandma Chris takes to the water, all bets are off.

Attachments

• uscg.jpg
    uscg.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P1150534 (Medium).JPG
    P1150534 (Medium).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 46
  • P1150532 (Medium).JPG
    P1150532 (Medium).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 39
I was born and raised in California (southern California). I couldn't wait to get out. I hated it. Once I got out, I hated the thought of going back to visit family. When we lived in Death Valley I kept telling myself that we weren't really in California.

NOW, we spent a big hunk of last winter in California and loved it. We even spent time in crowded southern California. There are incredible things to see and do in California, even in crowded southern California. We enjoiyed it so much that we're considering spending this winter there.

What other state has Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, San Franicsco, San Diego, Anza Borrego, the entire Pacific coast, wine country, beaches, deserts, mountains, forests, fresh produce, lakes, rivers and Disneyland?

Do I want to live there? Heck no. But I don't want to live in Texas, the midwest or anywhere east of the Mississippi either. Oh dear, I just insulted half the country.

But if you haven't visited California several times, you've missed one of the prettiest, most varied states in the country. And you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Wendy
ducking for cover in Colorado (where Californians and Texans are uniformly disliked)

What Wendy said. :D  Well said, Wendy, as usual.  :D

California is a lovely state to visit with lots to see and do.  A traveler needs stay out of the heavily populated areas and concentrate on the jewels that are part of the state and national park system.  There is probably more diversity of terrain and climate in California than, perhaps, any other state in the Union.  You just have to be willing to travel off the interstates and steer clear of the metroplistic cities to see it.

Margi

Wendy you said.

the entire Pacific coast

The ENTIRE Pacific Coast?  Did you forget about God's country.  The PNW has a lot of Pacific Coast we can lay claim to.  Oregon in particular has a spectacular coast line.  None better.   ;D

Lived in Santa Ana and Anahiem.  The bigest problem is the traffic one has to go through to get to some of the areas that are nice.  Not really knocking CA just that it isn't what we enjoy getting to places we might enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom