Motorhome miles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gw

I am new to this forum as I am embarking on the process of figuring out what type of RV I should be looking at for my family.  Someone suggested we look into class C motorhomes and I have a couple questions concerning them.

1)  In looking at used models, is the number of miles on one of much use in determining anything useful?

2)  Does non-activity hurt the motorhome?  In other words, if one lets it set for 11 months a year and takes it out for the other  month do things begin to deteriorate quicker through non-use?

I have more questions, but that will do for now ;)

gw

gw said:
I am new to this forum as I am embarking on the process of figuring out what type of RV I should be looking at for my family.? Someone suggested we look into class C motorhomes and I have a couple questions concerning them.

1)? In looking at used models, is the number of miles on one of much use in determining anything useful?

2)? Does non-activity hurt the motorhome?? In other words, if one lets it set for 11 months a year and takes it out for the other? month do things begin to deteriorate quicker through non-use?

1.  For anything with an engine and drivetrain, miles matter.  Regard it as buying a truck.  One with 10,000 miles has more of an operating life ahead of it than one with 100,000 miles.

2.  Non-operation has problems with any motor vehicle, lube drains off, gaskets dry out an shrink, batteries run down, tires age, etc..  BTW tires do deteriorate with age, irrespective of tread wear.  A set of 5 year old tires is ready for replacement, by 7 the replacement should be considered mandatory.

Thank you for your reply Carl.  Hopefully, you won't mind if I ask you another question or two.  Since miles do matter, how many miles can one expect to get on a class C motorhome?  How many miles would it take to scare you away from looking at one? 

gw

GW,

I don't have much experience with the chassis part of a Class C, so I'll defer to those who can address your question with more authority.

However I would suggest that inactivity in any motorhome is not good for any coach components.

Items to inspect carefully would be roof seals dried out, resulting in leaks,  generator commutator corrosion resulting in reduced electrical power, as well as engine components of the generator.  If it's a propane generator, the carburettor and regulator could be plugged up.

Then there's the fridge and the cooling unit which may need replacement from corrosion..often cheaper to replace the fridge than a cooling unit.  I would have an expert check the entire propane delivery system for leaks as well as corroded parts...a definite safety consideration.

Air conditioners could fail because the compressor has not worked and seals are dried out..this would apply to dash air conditioning as well.

A variety of electrical components, and relays could be faulty especially if the coach was parked near salt water or driven is road salt areas.

Holding tanks could be plugged if not properly flushed prior to storage and dump valves may need replacement if dried out.

If the coach was subjected to condensation due to storage in hot humid climates or winter climates, there might be mold formation in walls or cabinets.

The older the coach the more potential for problems, especially if you cannot see a reliable service history.

Do you have anyone locally who is a seasoned RVer whose opinion you can trust who could inspect a potential coach on your behalf?

Hi gw,

Non use of any RV is not good for it. Steve & Carl have pointed out many of the problems one might encounter due to inactivity. I would suggest you plan on using it for several weekends during the summer seaon to help keep things working properly.

How big is your family? A Class C can sleep several people but a bunkhouse trailer might be more convenient. It depends upon your planned usage and family size. With more info perhaps others here can help with the logistics.

Keep asking your questions!! :)

All the comments made by Jim< Steve, Karl and all are very valid.  When buying any used motorhome check the hours on the Generator.  Low hours show little usage which is not goo in the Genset world.  The most common cause for Generator anomalies is lack of use.  In any case always check the Generator by starting it and puttting a load on like the airconditioners and letting it run that way for 15 to 30 minutes. 

Usually lack of use causes varnish buildup in the carberator or fuel system unless a fuel stabilizer has been used religously during the times of non-use.

I would begin to get concerned upwards of 50k miles on most smaller gas rigs.  For models prior to about 1997, I would definitely steer away, but after that the engines became much more robust.  Transmissions are another story - a few minutes at high heat can put years of wear on a tranmission and it is impossible to tell without disassembly.  The best  I can say is that with lower miles, the chances of transmission abuse are somewhat less.

Many Class C's are loaded to their max (GVWR) and work hard whenever they are moving.  And they also tend to get maintained like the family car, i.e. mimimally.  Look for signs of good maintenance, e.g. oil change records.

You should have no problem finding a low mileage RV - the average use is about 6000 miles per year (according to the RVIA). Low mileage is no guarantee, but it helps.

gw said:
Thank you for your reply Carl.? Hopefully, you won't mind if I ask you another question or two.? Since miles do matter, how many miles can one expect to get on a class C motorhome?? How many miles would it take to scare you away from looking at one??

gw

Looks like our motorhome gurus have gone a ways towards answering your question.

Thank you much for your information.  I am still just checking things out.  But, I am pretty sure that we are going to get something  before next summer so I have plenty of time to get edumacated.  More questions will be forthcoming.

gw

Back
Top Bottom