Buffalo instead of Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lowell

Buffalo is the best red meat for you because it has the lowest fat content. Buffalo hamburgers are probably the worst because it has the lowest fat content. ;D

Luca1369 said:
I'm currently about 40 miles east of Atlanta in a small town called Covington.  About thirty mile south of here, in the middle of nowhere, on a little-used two-lane road north of Lake Oconee, is a small bison farm where the owner raises the animals and sells their meat...it doesn't get any fresher than that.

Steve

Steve,
Can you pinpoint that location for me? Want to mark it on the mapping software so we can swing by there.

Thanks

BernieD said:
Lowell

Buffalo is the best red meat for you because it has the lowest fat content. Buffalo hamburgers are probably the worst because it has the lowest fat content. ;D

We would take Buffalo burgers of Beef burger any time.  Matter of personal preference and ours is Buffalo burgers, steak, or roasts.

Lowell said:
I think the best steaks and hamburgers I ever had was buffalo.  But also one of the worst hamburgers I ever had was buffalo and that was just a week ago at a winery in Temecula. CA.  I should have sent it back but I let it go.  There was nothing wrong with the wine however ;)

I didn't mean to imply that buffalo hamburgers are bad.  We've made excellent hamburgers with ground buffalo we purchased at Basha's.  I suspect we just got some bad meat at that winery.  We should have sent them back, but for some reason, I'm reluntant to made a fuss about stuff like that.

Just to keep this Buffalo meat worship gathering on a more even keel, I've had both and will take a good fatty Beef Ribeye or even 73% lean ground Beef any time! ;D ::) :D ;)

Although I like buffalo, it will never compare to the prime rib I had last night  ;D

Although we both like buffalo meat, we find the hamburgers way too dry for a good tasting hamburger.  The only time we got bad buffalo, was a roast we bought at a small meat market in So. Dak. somewhere.  Since it was near the end of summer, or at least not "in season" for fresh buffalo, we think it had been either frozen too long or frozen, thawed, frozen, thawed perhaps too many times.  It was really tough and I had done it slowly in the crock-pot. 

As for weird places to buy buffalo meat, we found a ranch in central/western Maine of all places, a few years back.  We bought quite a bit.  The owner also owned a large ranch in So. Dak. somewhere and did this as an off-shoot.  We stocked up and enjoyed it all.  A year or so later, we heard the owner got gored by one of his critters, and was severely injured.  Never learned how he came out of that. 

Daisy

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, good!  We had buffalo rib eye steaks for supper last night. I like buffalo much better than beef. We are going to buy and pack buffalo steaks in the freezer for eating back in Texas. Guess I need to find a source in Texas, also.

Regards,
Jack and Liz

Bison burgers do tend to get a little dry, especially if you cook them too much. Try mixing the bison with an equal amount of extra lean (better than 90% lean) beef. Makes a great burger. Bison/beef also makes great meatballs and really adds flavor to  spag. sauce.

RLSharp said:
Ron,

How about some tips. My buffalo burgers often seem quite dry but we still prefer them. Thanks.

Richard

Using the grill I cook same as I do steaks.  Place on hot grill and when moisture begins to appear on the top side I turn them over and salt and season.  Then cook till mositure appears on the top again.  Remove and enjoy.  Never turn over more than once and never salt and season till turned over.  Never apply salt until you turn over.  Works for us.

Costco carries buffalo burgers in their freezer section of the food department.  Also is an excellent source for scallops for those that like scallops.

Ron said:
Also is an excellent source for scallops for those that like scallops.

Costco's scallops do not contain any added water, unlike so many other brands of frozen scallops, so are less likely to shrink when cooked.  We're making a Costco run to Eugene next weekend with scallops at the head of our long list.  :D

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
Costco's scallops do not contain any added water, unlike so many other brands of frozen scallops, so are less likely to shrink when cooked.  We're making a Costco run to Eugene next weekend with scallops at the head of our long list.  :D

Margi

You are absolutly right Margi.  Actually it would be hard to find better scallops than you can get from Costco. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom