Suitable Sized Test Centres for American RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Hi Paul,

Sorry if you have included this subject on the ARVO's web site but I haven't seen it so here goes. A good subject for a further RV related data base would be a list of UK MOT test centres that can cope with the size of an American RV.

As an American RV or (motor home) is considered to be the same class 4 as a 'normal' motor car your usual class 4 MOT garage may not be able to accommodate a large motor home (RV) so a good data base would be of great use to British RV owners. :)

That's a good point Mick, and hopefully Paul will pick up on it. Even here in CA, some smog (emissions) testing places can't accommodate a large gas coach, although I was usually able to find one that could. I hadn't thought about Dai Morris' hole-in-the-wall MOT testing station.

Hi Mick,

I dont know where the ARVO website is, just the RVOA one  ;D

There is a bus garage next to Motorhome Medics in Cheltenham which tests RVs.

A good idea is to contact your local council to see where their own testing station is and book in there - apparently they cannot refuse to test private vehicles and are always big enough for their own large vehicles.

The good thing with local council facilities is that they cannot do repairs for you so there is no "incentive" for them to find non-existing faults etc.

Paul

Hi Mick
I have attached a link HERE (I hope I haven't broken any rules) to the place that I have used in the past. Their HQ is in Northampton but I notice that they also have several other sites now including one in Stafford area.
Quite a few of the old local authority places are now being run and managed by commercial contractors in a bid to keep lowering costs and providing value for money, so well worth a check out. The place in Northampton does also carry out repairs, but as Paul has said they are not driven by the need to do that so will not find silly things wrong to fail your test, in fact my experience was that they are more inclined to fit a blown lamp rather than fail the test vehicle.
Great guys, thoroughly recommed them and by the way I am in no way connected to them except as a very happy customer  :)
Hope this helps matey

Keith

Are we likely to see you again in the UK soon?

Back
Top Bottom