There's no belly pan under my TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a70eliminator

Hi, I just bought this travel trailer for $250.00, It's a tandem wheel trailer and thought that alone was worth the money, anyhow after getting it home the wife really likes it and says can't you fix it up? Well that was the green light for me so I got buisy and gutted the whole thing, saved the walls and ceiling constuction and all the cabinetry,the floor was rottod through and the previous owner must have ripped out the belly pan to try and fix the floor from underneath or something I don't know, anyhow thats where I'm at now now, I'm ready to start the new floor construction only the belly pan is holding me up, it must go on first and then the floor framing on top of that, I'm having trouble finding a suitable material, aluminum is out at 3.90 sq ft it will cost me $500.00, same with galvanized only just a little cheaper, can anyone think of a more economical material that will suit this application? Thanks.

They use a rugged synthetic material on the under side of manufactured housing (used to be call trailers) and homes built above ground with a crawl space underneath.  Sort of like heavy duty tar paper or the felt stuff you put under shingles on a roof.

Thanks I was wondering about that tar paper I saw it at home depot but though it would be too fragile and tear easy, but after seeing the price of aluminum sheet the paper is definately looking better and better.

Mine has a plastic cardboard looking stuff. It's the same material that USPS uses for the tubs they carry mail in.

The stuff I'm talking about is much tougher than the usual roofing tar paper - has a lot of fiber and is difficult to tear or even cut with a knife. I don't have a clue where to buy i, though, and couldn't find anything like it on the internet. Maybe 30 lb roofing felt would be enough?

Yesterday I got lucky or just talked to right person but I bought some galvanized steel sold by the pound, the guy cut it up into 4 managable 4x8 sheets all for $140.00 including tax and cutting it, not a bad price at all.

The steel is 24ga. a bit heavier than the original aluminum skin, this is going to be one heavy duty underbelly. Maybe i can get some pictures before I progress too far ahead.

Back
Top Bottom