RV Rental from Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodburyboy

Hi

I'm planning my first RV vacation in America (from the UK) and I'd like to travel on part of the Grand Circle taking in Bryce, Zion and a few others Parks. We'll be a party of three adults and one child.  I'll be arriving in Vegas next April and staying the night in a hotel at the southern end of the Strip.  I'm looking for recommendations for RV rental companies in Vagas.  Any pointers for transportation from the Hotel (Excalibur) to the RV rental park would be a bonus.  Thanks

Mark

The two largest RV rental agencies in the USA are Cruise America and El Monte Rents.  Moturis also has a LV location.  I have seen a lot of their units on the road and their customers all seem satified.  Google their websites. 

Most of the sites you will visit will be over 6000 feet in altitude and in April, will be cold.  At Bryce this year the average high was 13?C, the average low was -3?C.    Torrey, UT near Capitol Reef NP averaged 12?C and -4?C.  Be ready.

There are lots of taxi cabs in Las Vegas and  you most likely could get transportation from them to the  rental place.  The rental place may also  offer to come pick you up as part of thier deal.  I'd check with them first.
Betty

Mark,

Here's a list of RV rental places with contact info.

Betty is right - the rental company will probably be pleased to pick you up.

Be sure to attend the show in the basement of the Excalibur - knights of the round table, jousting, and the like.

Snow is a very real possibility during April especially at Bryce, which is about 8000 feet of elevation. Don't forget your snow tires or chains. April is a splendid time of year to visit Death Valley and it is close to Vegas and has nice temperatures that time of year.

You will probably run into snow at some point. Bryce will have snow cover on the hoodoos for sure. North rim of the Grand Canyon will not open till mid May because of snow. Sow on the mountains is beautiful.

rhmahoney said:
You will probably run into snow at some point. Bryce will have snow cover on the hoodoos for sure. North rim of the Grand Canyon will not open till mid May because of snow. Sow on the mountains is beautiful.

Trust me Russ knows of what he speaks from experience.  We know because we were part of the group following him into the snow near the North Rim. ;D ;D ;D

Will probably do part of the Grand Circle in an aniclockwise direction.  We arrive in Vegas on 7th April and willl pick up the RV the following day heading for the Mather Campground on the South Rim stopping at the Hoover Dam en route.  Does anyone know if there is parking for a standard RV there in that multi storey car park at the Dam?  At the Grand Canyon, will try and walk down to Plateau point (Should be cooler than when I tried it 3 years ago, boy was that hot !!).  From The south rim will head for the campground at Gouldings Lodge in Monument valley (stunning sunsets framing the Mittens).  Not sure after that.  We have to return the RV on the 17th so Moab is going to be too far.  Will probably drive to Goosenecks and then turn back and head for Natural Bridges NP via  Blanding (Don't fancy the short cut in an RV up that hair pin ascent!!).  Then to Hanksville and left to Capitol Reef, Bryce and finally Zion, one of my favourites but I guess the water in the Virgin river will be too cold to walk through in April. 

Any other variations on the above or suggested detours would be very welcome tapping into peoples personal experiences. Maybe something instead of Capitol Reef that I found a bit dissapointing.  Can an RV travel through The Valley of the Gods?

Thanks

An RV probably won't fit into the parking garage, however, on the AZ side, there are a couple of turnoffs down near the dam that can handle an RV.

We have started staying at the Cadillac Ranch RV Park in Bluff, UT, just north of Monument Valley. It's a little more roomy than Goldings and cheaper. We like the layout better there also. It is very convenient to Goosenecks. We did the Valley of the Gods by car, but IIRC it should be doable with a smaller RV, don't remember if a larger one will do.

Take Rte 12 south from Torrey and stop in the Indian Museum in Bolder, excellent exhibits. The route along 12 is most enjoyable. You pass Bryce on the way.

Marsha/CA said:
Are they now allowing RVs over the Hoover Dam?  Last I heard you could not cross it with a motorhome.

Marsha~

We have crossed Hoover Dam several times since they closed it to trucks the most recent being in March of this year.  You do have to go through the inspection station but it only takes a few minutes.

Marsha/CA said:
Are they now allowing RVs over the Hoover Dam?  Last I heard you could not cross it with a motorhome.

Marsha~

RV crossings have been permitted for a couple of years now. There is a vehicle inspection before crossing, but it only takes a couple of minutes. Trucks are routed down US 95 thru Searchlight.

Thanks Bernie.  Now you mention it I do remember those parking spaces on the AZ side of the Hoover Dam.  It went something along the lines of "why did I bother to pay in the multi storey car park when I could have come over here and parked for free!".

Will also give Cadillac Ranch RV Park in Bluff a go as well because you're right, Gouldings is a bit of a squeeze for those RV's in that narrow gorge.  Nice indoor swimming pool though. 

I can't recall seeing any RV's on the loop trail that takes in the messas at Monument valley???  Are they allowed on the trail or do you have to leave the RV in the car park by the visitors centre and take one of those jeep tours instead  ???

Route 12...very nice.

woodburyboy said:
I can't recall seeing any RV's on the loop trail that takes in the messas at Monument valley???  Are they allowed on the trail or do you have to leave the RV in the car park by the visitors centre and take one of those jeep tours instead  ???

Woodburyboy,
When we were at Monument Valley this past April we stayed at their dry camping area (on the dirt road through the visitors center parking lot)  for about $10 per night plus $5 to get into the Park. Wonderful views from that bluff.  It usually rains, snows or hails during that time, but clears as quickly as the storm comes in.  We saw several class C type motorhomes going on the loop trail,  VERY slowly as the roads are  rutted and full of pot holes but if you take it slowly and tie down everything inside it is doable.  There are also nice areas to turn out, park and take photos.  The jeep tours look cold and outside in the elements to me.  We once took a private tour in an enclosed van from one of the Indian Guides. It was wonderful and informative.  So there are lots of ways to go, but you ARE allowed to take a rig on the loop.  Just be careful.

Betty

Before this year's Moab rally we spent a couple of days at Goblin Valley State Park which isn't far from Hanksville.  It has some great hiking among neat formations and through some of the longest slot canyons we've ever seen.  The Brewers stayed there last year and we went on their recommendation.  A very enjoyable place to stay.

ArdraF

Top tip Ardra...thanks.  I've passed this without knowing in the past when traveling from Hanksville to Moab via the I70. This road left an impression in my mind since as soon as I left Hanksville I distinctly remember an almost continuous procession of enormous motor boat launches being towed, passing me traveling in a southerly direction.  I suppose they must have been heading to some marina on the Colorado.  I guess this is a popular playground at weekends for those living at Salt lake.

I might give Goblin Valley a go because the campground in amongst the orchard inside the Capitol Reef NP was a bit of a dissapointment.  Just type "Goblin Valley" into Utube and watch the second video listed...fantastic....Check out the shadow of the model helicopter filming the video at exactly 2 minutes through the video.  I want one of those in my stocking this Christmas !!!  This video has sold it to me.  Thanks again Ardra

woodburyboy said:
I might give Goblin Valley a go because the campground in amongst the orchard inside the Capitol Reef NP was a bit of a dissapointment. 

We too have visited that campground and found it not suitable for our needs.  BUT the  Thousand Trails Lakes Campground in nearby Torrey is very nice, if you are considering a return to Capitol Reef.  Bicknell ,a small town, close by has pinto  bean, pickle  and oatmeal pie to  whet your appetite for unique desserts. 

We also enjoyed  Goblin Valley State Park, but  beware it is far from stores so come with full groceries for a stay of any length.  The hiking and scenery is unique.  We enjoy all of Utah.

Betty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom