any Carpenters here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1275gtsport

Rebuilding the camper part of the motor home. we replaced most of the 2x2's and a good part of the floor. we are now at the part of replacing the paneling on the ceiling and walls. when the unit was built in 1974 the panels were glued and stapled on. very little of the glue remained when we removed the paneling. the question is, do I need to glue the panels and staple or just staple? what is the purpose of the glue? would it be better to have the panels "flex" a bit by being just stapled?

I would glue & staple.  The glue is the main strength fastening the inner panel to the studs.  It greatly helps to stiffen the walls as it bounces and wiggles down the road.  Panel glue or construction glue (Liquid nails makes both) is stronger than the wood it bonds.  The staples are mostly to hold it together until the glue dries.  FYI, even in modern household construction floor & wallboard is glued to the studs.

I would recommend a good quality 'adhesive caulk' and staples.  The caulk will provide a tight stable 'hold'  but also allow for some flexing.  Liquid Nails will work but tends to become hard and brittle over time.  It's great if you don't want movement, i.e. plywood sub-floors, laminatingstock lumber together.  But where movement can not be avoided, look for an adhesive with a little durable 'give'.  You might also consider contacting a coach builder and ask what they use.

BT

I think the order should be reversed in your mind.  The staples only hold things together WHILE the structural adhesive sets up.  The paneling act as shear panels and with a GOOD adhesive holding them together really can add stiffness to the rig.  Do not skimp with the structural adhesive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom