EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Champion generator not so noisy  (Read 1375 times)

82corvette

• ---
Champion generator not so noisy
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:38:58 PM »
I bought a 4000 watt Champion generator on a Cabellas door buster sale this morning for $299.00.  It even has a 30 amp RV plug on the panel.  I have seen many rants about how noisy these are but it is not a problem where we want to boondock. When I was unpacking it at the campground a few others were unpacking them also, so someone decided to fire one up to try it out. He had his 15,000 btu ac going along with the microwave & tv with satellite. It handled everything great!
The sound wasn't all that bad,we could carry on a normal conversation just a few feet away. I give it a thumbs up so far & will check it out in a couple weeks when we camp at a place that has no electricity. ;D
2012 Ram 1500 Crewcab Hemi,6spd. Auto,3:92 posi,Rambox, Airlift,B&W turnover hitch for future
2004 Jayco Eagle 308FBS Sold now looking
happy wife
mostly happy teen daughter
crazy Beagle named Shirley RIP

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Champion generator not so noisy
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »
Thanks for the report. I saw those gensets at Cabellas and wondered how they would be noise-wise (just curiosity - I don't need one).

Noisiness is relative to the general background noise and a genny that seems ok during the day can sound pretty loud when the area quiets down at night. But at 1/4 - 1/3 the price of a top quality and supremely quiet generator, one can make some allowances!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
But at 1/4 - 1/3 the price of a top quality and supremely quiet generator, one can make some allowances!

The real truth of the noise is what the neighbors think.  Out at Ackley Lake this year a couple times there was a guy that had his trailer and when he run his Genset it was evident clear accross the lake.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »
I have a 4000 watt Generac and I am pleased with it too. For boondocking, it's great. And we only run it about an hour a day to recharge the batteries. And maybe run the AC if it is a very hot day. If we camp in a campground, we generaly find one that has electric and water hook-ups so we don't run the generator in company with other campers.  A couple of years ago,we camped at Quartzsite with other campers.  At that time I didn't have a generator of my own.  In my opinion,the noise made by many of the generators inside the type A RVs made as much noise as my Generac, although some were quite quiet too.  Like everything, it comes down to a personal choice.  Now if we were to go boon docking more that a couple of times a year, the extra $1600 you pay for a Honda might be worth it. 
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Hosted by Over The Network