Champion generator not so noisy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

82corvette

I bought a 4000 watt Champion generator on a Cabellas door buster sale this morning for $299.00.  It even has a 30 amp RV plug on the panel.  I have seen many rants about how noisy these are but it is not a problem where we want to boondock. When I was unpacking it at the campground a few others were unpacking them also, so someone decided to fire one up to try it out. He had his 15,000 btu ac going along with the microwave & tv with satellite. It handled everything great!
The sound wasn't all that bad,we could carry on a normal conversation just a few feet away. I give it a thumbs up so far & will check it out in a couple weeks when we camp at a place that has no electricity. ;D

Thanks for the report. I saw those gensets at Cabellas and wondered how they would be noise-wise (just curiosity - I don't need one).

Noisiness is relative to the general background noise and a genny that seems ok during the day can sound pretty loud when the area quiets down at night. But at 1/4 - 1/3 the price of a top quality and supremely quiet generator, one can make some allowances!

RV Roamer said:
But at 1/4 - 1/3 the price of a top quality and supremely quiet generator, one can make some allowances!

The real truth of the noise is what the neighbors think.  Out at Ackley Lake this year a couple times there was a guy that had his trailer and when he run his Genset it was evident clear accross the lake.

I have a 4000 watt Generac and I am pleased with it too. For boondocking, it's great. And we only run it about an hour a day to recharge the batteries. And maybe run the AC if it is a very hot day. If we camp in a campground, we generaly find one that has electric and water hook-ups so we don't run the generator in company with other campers.  A couple of years ago,we camped at Quartzsite with other campers.  At that time I didn't have a generator of my own.  In my opinion,the noise made by many of the generators inside the type A RVs made as much noise as my Generac, although some were quite quiet too.  Like everything, it comes down to a personal choice.  Now if we were to go boon docking more that a couple of times a year, the extra $1600 you pay for a Honda might be worth it. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom