RV Flooring The Right Way - An Amish Experience - Nappanee Indiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We wanted to tour the Newmar RV plant, but we could not because it was shut down for the week.  I understand that 90% of the people who work at the plan are Amish. This speaks very well for the quality of the Newmar product.

Several other RV companies are in the area as well.

What a nice improvement.  They did a really good job and it looks great.  Now for the remainder.  What!  You didn't know the upholstery is next????  ::)

ArdraF

Yes, we know the upholstery is next.  It is nice to hear it confirmed from an outside source. Our friends are to nice to tell us it looks like garbage  :-X

We looked at sofas and dinettes while we were in Elkhart but did not find anything that excited us - at least in a price range that we considered suitable. A few nice sets for $3000-$4000. We would like ultraleather to match the chairs up front.  We need something with seatbelts for the kids.

Our friends are to nice to tell us it looks like garbage.

Now you said that not me!  ;)  I just know from our own experience and that of several Forum framily how it goes.  It's called One Thing Leads to Another.  The floors now look so nice that the rest is looking shabby, etc. etc. etc.  Oh, and don't forget the window valences.  Tee hee!

ArdraF

Tires have been replaced.  This years projects included: Koni FSD shocks, Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, new backup camera, Garmin 7200 GPS, replaced switches on cruise control, Car Kaddy SS, wireless tow lights,  all new fluids + Transynd, new water pump, new mattress, all new sink & shower fixtures, some new cabinet latches, slide-outs,  Silverleaf VMSpc, new TV & Sony receiver & bose acoustimass speakers, undercoating, grease/lubricants, etc.

On the list for next year. Sanicon macerator pump, paint touch up, the rest of the furniture (wish I had bought new chairs in Nappanee), a tire pressure monitor (PressurePro), a Safari mud flap, and I have one double-pane window to replace (seals have sucked in).

:)

As everybody else has already responded, that was an amazingly thorough report but it's also a daunting piece for those of us pondering floor work.

Our coach is only ten months old but my wife and I are already fed up with the grime and dirt that has been permanently ground into the carpeting even though we take great pains to wipe our feet, leave our shoes on the steps, etc. We wanted to have the flooring replaced and just go all tile but after reading this I'm afraid to turn the job over to anybody.

(We're a long, long way from your Amish friends.)

This is now in our library here. I'll get the pictures sized and added later. A big thanks to bigskytct for sharing the details of this project with us.

BigSky,

All I can say is you're certainly doing your part to help spur the economy along!  ;)  It's fun, though, and I know you'll enjoy it when finished.

ArdraF

I did Jim  Godwards coach last summer. Guess he likes it- no complaint calls. We do that in the winter in Texas, also.
Since 1972- and can still walk.
Ernie-driving a wanderlodge
Montana-summer
Texas-winter

Yes Dave, it was a lot of work - we definitely took the advanced route. My wife says I am vey meticulous about these things (not her exact words). I'm sure there are simpler processes which could deliver a near same quality product. Items I would not skimp on are the quality of the flooring and the Silent Step underlayment. The detail work (around unusually angled counters and shower, behind the steering, around the steps, under the bathroom walls - took a lot of time. The time could have been cut in half - if we had limited these (just run up to the shower surround, not done the steps). We could have reduced the time even more by leaving the wood floor and only replacing the carpet - again half. In the end we did it all and I am pleased we did. I know that I won't have to touch the floor again while I own it, and it should increase the resale value when we sell it.  There were some good RV flooring people in Southern Cal but because of distance I never contacted them for a price.

We just bought the unit in May - So we won't be selling it soon (famous last words). Yes, we are doing our part with the economy - we got a good price on it and put about $8K into it (got a lot of bargains on stereos, PC's, etc. - thank you ebay). So it is still a good deal.

We did a 4,000 mile circuit of Ohio, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, WI, Indiana, etc. this summer - our family reunion circuit.  We weren't sure we would like RVing so we went with a lower cost entry, but we are hooked. 

Ernie, I was born in Billings MT - my Dad is in Billings, and My wifes parents are in Helena. I saw you have a Wanderlodge. When I bought the Safari  I thought that if I really like RV'ing I would trade-up to a Wanderlodge or Foretravel. I have heard good things about them. I have come to the conclusion that with any used unit you will want to customize it (make it your own). It will be a couple of years before I want to go throught the customization process again.  Though prices seem to be at an all time low.  My safari has a class 5 hitch on it , and way-oversized transmission cooler.  I get about 9MPG in mine now (8.2 if towing my wifes Toyota Sienna minivan) - and wondered how the Wanderlodge and Foretravel would compare. 

The point above about keeping the carpet clean was a good one. We have a 9 and 11 year old and wanted to not worry about tracking dirt in, sand from the beach, the occasional spilled drink, etc.  And even if you think your carpet is clean, it's not. Ours only had 40K miles on it, but when the carpet was pulled up there  was 1/4 inch of sand under the floor. It is nice knowing that it is clean and new inside. The flooring is a great upgrade.

Take care...

Forgot the 4 Lifeline (coach)  and 2 Optima Blue (start) batteries I installed - another great (no worry) investment from eBay.

I yanked the Monaco carpet job as soon as I purchased my coach and returned home, from our family business we had the choice of mechanics and availiable hardwoods at our finger tips. We install fifty hardwood jobs for every click job. Modern adhesives assure a quality floor that we could guaranty for twenty five years including the wood finish. I also junked the $1.00 step lighting and installed LED fixtures. The factory carpet job was held in place by over a thousand huge staples, Ugly!

There was no shortage of staples in the carpet here either. The old solid wood flooring was nailed and glued down.  :p

Tom, I just noticed that I fat fingered their phone number - and I can't edit it in my original post. Any chance you can change it there and in the Library for me?  Thanks  :eek:

Should be:
574-773-7320 x3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom