Questions about buying out of state trailer, registration, inspection, etc.PA/MD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g4551

I live in Maryland, but if I buy a trailer registered in PA, what is the process...Does PA and/or Maryland require that the trailer be inspected before selling....do I have to  geta  new title and re-register the trailer in Maryland...any advice would help

I am not familiar with MD but most states require vehicles be registered in the state you are living.  You are going to have to change the title anyway so why not just do it in MD?

Since my posting, I've found that in Maryland a trailer must be inspected. So I assume that first I have to re title and re register the trailer in Maryland. Then I will have to have it inspected to get it tagged in Maryland. Does this sound right?

Procedures differ from state to state but it goes something like this. The seller will transfer the title to you. This may be a signed & notarized transfer document (private seller) or a dealer may do the actual transfer for you by dealing with your states DMV direct in your behalf. If buying from a dealer, ask him how they handle it.    You get your title in your home state, MD. If registration requires inspection, your MD DMV office will tell you what and how to do the paperwork and inspection process to meet their requirements.

Back
Top Bottom