Oil on the back end of MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poltax

I have a 2002 40DST HR Endeavor with a 330 Cummins.  I have seen a few posts about a catch can for the oil breather tube.  What seems to be the best way set on up.  Also due to the oil dripping I sometimes get oil spotting on the back end of the mh.    I have tried hand scubbing with my normal wash/wax, but its not strong enough.  My thoughts are diluted simple green or diluted orange degreaser.  However I am concerend as to what it might do to the upper portion that is gel coated and not painted like the lower section.  Any ideas?

Products like Simple Green are Ok to use on paint or gel coat. They aren't that strong when used in their normal solution.  Gel coat is pretty much impervious to anything short of Acetone (MEK) or brake fluid.

Ron said:
There was a recall I believe that corrected the oil breather problem that caused what you are experiencing.

Freightliner had an oil breather tube blow by problem in the late 90's-early 2000's. However that was an issue with CAT engines, never heard of the problem with Cummins. The CAT engine issue was resolved by cleaning the radiator and charge cooler and rerouting the blow by tube.

Have you ever had the dip stick calibrated?

A lot of blow by is caused by overfilling the crankcase.

The coach manufacture gets a bare engine from CAT or Cummins. The coach manufacture adds the dipstick tube and dipstick. They install the same style on all their coaches. So the markings on the dipstick may not be accurate.

Good point Don.  When they did the oil breather recall on our Cummins the first thing they did was check the dipstick calibration.

Ron said:
Good point Don.  When they did the oil breather recall on our Cummins the first thing they did was check the dipstick calibration.

In all of my years of diesel trucking, I had never heard of that one but it makes sense in todays world of 1 size fits all...probably why they dont have "just" a full mark anymore, its is your oil between these two marks?.....of course if you just had your oil changed and put in the proper amount of oil (including filter amounts) it should give you a clue as to where between x and 0 your oil level should be.

After confirming dipstick calibration they hooed up a manometer and some othe instrumentation and we drove up Parleys Canyon out of SLC.  Went back and they installed the breather mod which cured the oil blowing problem.  Some folks do not change their own oil and are at the mercy of the service person that does the change.

Back
Top Bottom