EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Shower modification in our small motorhome  (Read 6240 times)

Mike Goad

• ---
    • Haw Creek
Shower modification in our small motorhome
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:45:06 AM »
The only major problem with our new little motorhome was the shower.  I'm a big guy and the shower -- as designed -- was just too small for me.  The shower is relatively narrow and the "door" was a heavy duty sheet of plastic that was guided by aluminum rails at the top and bottom and retracted into an aluminum tube.

The replacement is an offset shower rod, sold by Cii RV Specialties.  It'll give me an additional foot of space -- which is really a significant improvement.

I finished the modification a couple of weeks ago.  I've included a couple of pictures below.  More detailed information on the project is in a post on my blog, Modifying the Shower Space in our New Motor Home.  The installation did require a bit of fabrication.

I haven't tried out the shower yet as we haven't had it out of the driveway since I finished, other than to get fuel.  We're hitting the road today and I'll probably use the shower for the first time this evening.  I'll post an update on how it worked out.
Mike Goad
web site: Haw Creek ;)
blog: Haw Creek Out 'n About
2008 Navion IQ 24Cl -- towing a 2004 Honda CRV

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
Re: Shower modification in our small motorhome
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:05:01 AM »
Thanks for this post.  I've been facing a similar problem and have been searching for a solution.  I've seen similar rods at Wally World and have been contemplating using one.  In my case I have a narrow shower door to contend with and remove.  Your experience with this unit sealed the deal for me.  Thanks again.

Steve
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Mike Goad

• ---
    • Haw Creek
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »
Thanks for this post.  I've been facing a similar problem and have been searching for a solution.  I've seen similar rods at Wally World and have been contemplating using one.  In my case I have a narrow shower door to contend with and remove.  Your experience with this unit sealed the deal for me.  Thanks again.

Steve,

That's great.  Glad it could be of use to someone!

We haven't actually used it yet.  The campgrounds that we've been staying at only have electric on the sites.  Water is nearby, but there are no sewer connections so we have been using the campground showers.
Mike Goad

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
Mike, how is the shower curtain handled at the bottom? Does it slope into the drain area? Might be worth a picture as well. If I have missed the explanation earlier, please excuse me excuse me.

carson
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
I'm with Carson....how does the curtain hang at the bottom? Either Mike or I can can fit in the shower but there's not a lot of wiggle room so I'd love to do something to expand the space.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Mike Goad

• ---
    • Haw Creek
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
Mike, how is the shower curtain handled at the bottom? Does it slope into the drain area? Might be worth a picture as well.

It does slope down into the drain area because of the length of the curtain.  To ensure that it does, for me at least, I modified the shower a little more. 

The modification uses a bungee cord stretched from one side of the shower to the other outside of the shower curtain 18" up from the bottom.

It may not be an elegant solution, but it works for me.   ::)

On the other hand, Karen doesn't use it and that works , too.  There are small suction cups on the shower curtain that help, if we remember to use them.

The picture below shows the entire shower modification from the outside.  I've included additional pictures in the post on my blog, which I've updated with additional details.
Mike Goad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »
Thanks for the link and the pictures. Our shower is so small with the glass door and this looks like a pretty nifty solution. Might give her a try this winter.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Hosted by Over The Network