Shower modification in our small motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

The only major problem with our new little motorhome was the shower.  I'm a big guy and the shower -- as designed -- was just too small for me.  The shower is relatively narrow and the "door" was a heavy duty sheet of plastic that was guided by aluminum rails at the top and bottom and retracted into an aluminum tube.

The replacement is an offset shower rod, sold by Cii RV Specialties.  It'll give me an additional foot of space -- which is really a significant improvement.

I finished the modification a couple of weeks ago.  I've included a couple of pictures below.  More detailed information on the project is in a post on my blog, Modifying the Shower Space in our New Motor Home.  The installation did require a bit of fabrication.

I haven't tried out the shower yet as we haven't had it out of the driveway since I finished, other than to get fuel.  We're hitting the road today and I'll probably use the shower for the first time this evening.  I'll post an update on how it worked out.

Attachments

• 2825436836_b9d35bfc7c_m.jpg
    2825436836_b9d35bfc7c_m.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 2824604915_839b8b5ffd_m.jpg
    2824604915_839b8b5ffd_m.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 331
Thanks for this post.  I've been facing a similar problem and have been searching for a solution.  I've seen similar rods at Wally World and have been contemplating using one.  In my case I have a narrow shower door to contend with and remove.  Your experience with this unit sealed the deal for me.  Thanks again.

Steve

Luca1369 said:
Thanks for this post.  I've been facing a similar problem and have been searching for a solution.  I've seen similar rods at Wally World and have been contemplating using one.  In my case I have a narrow shower door to contend with and remove.  Your experience with this unit sealed the deal for me.  Thanks again.

Steve,

That's great.  Glad it could be of use to someone!

We haven't actually used it yet.  The campgrounds that we've been staying at only have electric on the sites.  Water is nearby, but there are no sewer connections so we have been using the campground showers.

Mike, how is the shower curtain handled at the bottom? Does it slope into the drain area? Might be worth a picture as well. If I have missed the explanation earlier, please excuse me excuse me.

carson

I'm with Carson....how does the curtain hang at the bottom? Either Mike or I can can fit in the shower but there's not a lot of wiggle room so I'd love to do something to expand the space.

Wendy

carson said:
Mike, how is the shower curtain handled at the bottom? Does it slope into the drain area? Might be worth a picture as well.

It does slope down into the drain area because of the length of the curtain.  To ensure that it does, for me at least, I modified the shower a little more. 

The modification uses a bungee cord stretched from one side of the shower to the other outside of the shower curtain 18" up from the bottom.

It may not be an elegant solution, but it works for me.  ::)

On the other hand, Karen doesn't use it and that works , too.  There are small suction cups on the shower curtain that help, if we remember to use them.

The picture below shows the entire shower modification from the outside.  I've included additional pictures in the post on my blog, which I've updated with additional details.

Attachments

• 2851285409_1baf1481d7_m.jpg
    2851285409_1baf1481d7_m.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 208
Thanks for the link and the pictures. Our shower is so small with the glass door and this looks like a pretty nifty solution. Might give her a try this winter.

Wendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom