Trip out west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

My wife and I will be traveling from Knoxville Tn to Las Vegas Nevada.  I am going on a work related trip, but we have 5 days to get there.  We have done this several times and  have seen the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Tombstone, and White Sands in New Mexico.  We are looking for something new to do and would like your help.  We will be traveling by car pulling a pop up camper and would like to see the sites of the west.  We don't have to take a direct route which would be I40 for us.  We could even go out of our way if not to far to see some cool campgrounds or parks.  Give me some ideas from some of your adventures.  Thanks

The Navajo Rez country around I-40 including Canyon de Chelly, Meteor Crater, and Petrified Forest.  The run north from Kayenta thru Monument Valley (stay at Gouldings CG) to Moab for Canyonlands NP and Arches NP then over to Capitol Reef NP staying at Fruita in the park. 

To continue Carl's route.  If you get to Moab, you can then take I-70 west to I-15 and south on it to Las Vegas.  That portion of I-70 goes over the area known as the San Rafael Swell, a geologic upthrusting with neat canyons and views.  The Swell is 100 miles wide at that point and there are zero services between Green River UT and Salina UT so make sure you have fuel and water before starting across the Swell.  When we take this route we often stay the night in Richfield UT which is a little closer to I-15.  There also are campgrounds in Green River.

Because of the distances in the west, five days isn't much, but even driving through Monument Valley is a treat - and if you can't stop it gives you an excuse to return!  ;)

ArdraF

Might consider a detour N. from I 40 on 89 at Flagstaff AZ to Zion and Brice Canyon, then down I 15 to Las Vagas.
Also Monument Valley UT is in that area.
Tony

I would suggest a visit to Chaco Canyon NHP in NM. Here are the ruins of one of the major cities of the Anasazi people who were believed to be the ancestors of the Navaho and possibly some of the other native americans of the southwest.
Lee

leethehund said:
I would suggest a visit to Chaco Canyon NHP in NM. Here are the ruins of one of the major cities of the Anasazi people who were believed to be the ancestors of the Navaho and possibly some of the other native americans of the southwest.
Lee

Actually, the Navajo came to the area after the Ancestral Puebloans (politically correct name for Anasazi) had left the area. The Pueblo tribes (Hopi, Zuni, etc) believe themselves to be the descendants of the people who built the spectacular buildings and villages in the Four Corners area.

Monument Valley is a spiritual, spectacular place, even with the pollution from 2 coal-burning power plants near Farmington, New Mexico.

North Rim of Grand Canyon if it hasn't closed for the season. This route could lead you through northern Arizona/southern Utah - Page, Grand Staircase Escalante, Kanab, Zion...some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.

Chaco is great but a bit off the beaten path. If you go to Chaco, you can continue to Angel Peak, Aztec Ruins and Salmon Ruins.

The area around Flagstaff has lots to do and see...Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater.

Lots to do around Albuquerque including Salinas Missions Pueblo National Monument, Petroglyphs Nat Mon, old town Albuquerque.

Between Albuquerque and Flagstaff is El Malpais Nat Mon, El Morro, and Petrified Forest.

Enjoy the trip.
Wendy
Cortez Colorado

:-[ Oops, Windy, I was last there in about '95 and I don't think the PC name was in use then. I've been to most of the major A.P. sites and Chaco has always been my favorite. Had something of an epiphany there.

BTW, if you're going to be in DV for the 49ers this year we'll say hello. Met you and Mike there last year but doubt if you remember us. Weren't on this site then.

Lee

Hi Lee -

Actually, I think the PC name is stupid and I still talk about the Anasazi :) Surprisingly, with all the archaeology sites in this area, and having lived and worked at Hovenweep, and visited almost every major and lots of minor arc sites in the area, we've never been to Chaco. For 13 years, we've been saying "well, maybe next year." Well, maybe this fall after the FMCA rally in Farmington.

You were at 49ers ! DV is so crazy during 49ers that we had trouble remembering each other !! Maybe we'll see you (and remember you!!) this year. We aren't going to host there but we may be camped out up at Mesquite.

Wendy
Cortez Colorado

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom