West Coast "Coastal Cruisin"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Intro:
Well,  I'm gonna give this a try.  I'm sure I can't do anything near to the calibur of Betty and her Mexican and/or Canadian trip Journals; but I thought I'd try to give some form of a "blog"..."report"....daily journal"... or "what ever we want to call it" for the next several weeks of our trip. 

On Sept 4th Tim and I left Kernville, CA which is just east of Bakersfield up in the Sierra Nevadas.  Tim had spent at least 3-4 solid days cleaning and waxing the outside of the coach.  I spent 1 long day dusting, washing windows, cleaning cupboards and cleaning the carpet.  WE had lived in the coach for close to a year while our house was being built, so needless to say it needed a thorough cleaning.

We stayed in Bakersfield, CA Thursday and Friday at the Bakersfield RV park.  This is a really nice facility with a good restaurant and they also serve microbrew beer.  When you check in you get a coupon for either a free appetizer or a free desert.  The dessert won out!  We needed to pick up supplies and restock in preparation for our 6 week trip up to Northern California and possibly into Oregon...maybe...possibly...or not.  We are on this "no schedule" plan which is entirely different from our personalities.  Usually we like to plan a trip, research what to do and where to stay.  However on this trip, we are gonna "wing it".  We'll see.  Both of us are anal; and I'm an indepth planner.  This maybe harder than we think  ;D

A couple weeks before we were to leave, I contacted Tom to see if he and Chris would have a night to meet us for dinner as we pass through their area on the way to Napa, CA and the wine country. (I know, it's not a coastal town; but we are low on wine ;)).  I also asked if he could give us an idea where to stay close by.  He pointed us to the Sugar Barge Rv Park in Bethal Island actually out on the the Delta.  Great spot.  Grassy sites, and most of the sites are satellite friendly for you internet junkies.

We arrive at Sugar Barge campground, got set up and headed to Tom and Chris's house during the early evening for a BBQ.  He tells me in an earlier email that they are gonna invite a few friends....well, there were a few friends alright: a bunch of boating friends, as well as, RV Forum Framily "Caltex" and "Khona" the Great Schnauscher's mom and dad, Sara and I'm sorry to say oldtimes has set in and I can't remember her husband's name.  Hopefully, Tom will save me the embarrasement and "fill in the blank".  Great talk...great food...and great Karoke.  Yes, you read right, Karoke.  Tom belted out a few songs, along with lots of other folks.  Tim and I needed to cut out early because we had left Charlie, the 10 month old Standard Poodle alone and we weren't sure how he would be.  BTW, he was great. 

Before we left, Tom mentioned he had made arrangements for Tim and I to ride along with Chris and Deanna the following morning.  Deanna was bringing her boat over to Tom and Chris's to have some interior work done.  So this morning, Tom and Chris pick us up and take us to the other side of the Delta, pointing out interesting stuff along the way.  Deanna  also loves standard poodle dogs, so Charlie got an invitation to come along. 

We loaded ourselves up and away we went for a Delta Tour.  We had a ball, we cruised the Delta, seeing farm lands, levees, and marinas along the route and really really enjoyed ourselves.  Tim was especially interested in a railroad bridge called Orwood which is a bascule bridge that raises and lowers for trains to cross the waterways.  When he worked for Santa Fe Railroad, he was involved in work on that bridge, so this was very interesting for him.

Got back to Tom and Chris's a bit later than expected and they had to go to an afternoon function, so Caltex, aka, Robert, drove us back to the Sugar Barge Campground.  It was great to spend some time with him.

I think we are making good headway on this "no schedule-free spirit" stuff, we are staying an extra day, just cause we can.

Tom, don't forget to email me some pictures so I can attach them to the "blog" or what ever we are gonna call it.  As you see, I've already failied miserably; Tim and I forgot our cameras both days.  See Betty, you have nothing to fear.  You are and will remain the "Blog Queen".

Marsha~ 

Thanks for the first installment Marsha. Looking forward to regular (?) updates on your trip.

What a great day for cruising the California Delta; Not as hot as it's been recently. Check your PM and email for photos and a few other things. There's one photo missing - the one of you and Tim singing karaoake; Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Sounds like you guys are already having fun. I have a feeling you're gonna love the "no plans" traveling and do lots more of it.

So Charlie enjoys boating? We'd never be able to keep Gordon in the boat !!

Looking forward to the pictures !!

Wendy

Charlie is now an  old salt, after he got over the first hurdle of getting aboard. I wasn't fast enough with the camera, but Marsha was shoving from behind, Tim was offering encouragement up front, and Charlie was shaking like a leaf. Once aboard, he soon found his sea legs. I was so glad he was able to go along for the ride. As Marsha mentioned, Deanna likes large poodles - she used to have a couple that always came along on the boat. Deanna and husband Bruce also have a veterinary practice.

We'd never be able to keep Gordon in the boat

Hopefully, Gordon wouldn't dive from the bridge into the water  ???

Tom said:
Hopefully, Gordon wouldn't dive from the bridge into the water  ???

Gordon would dive from the top of the Grand Canyon if he saw water down below or if someone threw a ball. We've had him up to the local reservoir, throwing his retreiver toy into the lake to see how far he'll leap. We think with some training, he could enter one of those Leaping Labrador contests.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Gordon would dive from the top of the Grand Canyon if he saw water down below or if someone threw a ball.

Wendy - That brings back such fond memories of Dusty, our old yellow lab.  She even learned how to climb up the swim ladder on the back of the boat.  Then, with a big shake, drenched everyone on board.  :D  She would roll the ball back into the water herself and leap once again into the lake to retrieve it.

Good job, Marsha.  I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. 

Margi

Dusty sounds just like our goofy young yellow lab Gordon. If you won't throw the ball for him, he'll throw it himself.

Marsha and Tim,

Glad you're finally taking the plunge into unstructured RVing.  It's amazing how much you see when you can change direction on a whim.  Will look forward to the remainder of your log.

ArdraF

Wendy and Margi,

Charlie is terrified of heights.  I'm hoping it's a puppy thing; but I'm actually glad he's a bit cautious.  He's like a little old man getting into the car, one step at a time and looks back to make sure you are close by.  Our other standard poodle would leap into anything when I said "In".  I can just picture your labs diving into the water; especially Margi's lab who would push the ball into the water himself just to jump in after it.  Charlie loves water, so that's not a problem...just the heights.

I'm beginning to love the "non-structured" plan.  Instead of staying only 1 more day, we've extended it into 2 more and will meet Tom, Chris and hopefully Robert (Caltex) for dinner tomorrow evening.

Marsha~

Glad you and Tim are enjoying the non structured travel schedule.  We always thought it much more enjoyable. 

Looking forward to the next instalment on your trip report.

Marsha,

Hope you brought along two necessary items for this unstructured style of RVing that we love so much -

• A coin to toss in the morning to help decide if you stay or move on.
  • A pin to stick in the map to determine the next destination.

Tom said:
Marsha,

Hope you brought along two necessary items for this unstructured style of RVing that we love so much -

• A coin to toss in the morning to help decide if you stay or move on.
  • A pin to stick in the map to determine the next destination.

Also helpful to have a clock that does not keep time. ;D ;D

We don't have a clock Ron, so it doesn't matter if it keeps time or not  ;D

Marsha - Sorry to hear that Charlie has a fear of heights. Hope he grows out of it. If we pass that way this winter, we can let Cousin Gordon take him out and show him how much fun it is to jump off things !!

Keep enjoying that No Plan traveling. If we didn't have to have reservations to get into some of the California state parks, we'd never bother with reservations or plans. In 18 years of full-timing, my parents never once made a reservation and never once went without a place to park the trailer.

Wendy

Marsha/CA said:
Well,  I'm gonna give this a try.  I'm sure I can't do anything near to the calibur of Betty and her Mexican and/or Canadian trip Journals; but I thought I'd try to give some form of a "blog"..."report"....daily journal"... or "what ever we want to call it" for the next several weeks of our trip. 
  See Betty, you have nothing to fear.  You are and will remain the "Blog Queen".

Marsha,

Thank you for the compliments but  I'm not the Queen of anything.  I'm sure your travels will be of interest to many.  I  am about to conclude my Atlantic Canada daily  Journal and so I look forward to your adventures to see what keeps you thrilled with Rving.  It is why this forum is so much fun. We can live the adventures of others while they share. But it does help to remember your camera. At least one of you  .  Terry forgot his camera today.  Did you get to go on the wine train?
Betty

I think it's great that Marsha is starting up a travelogue just as Betty's is winding down and Jeff's is still on-going .... and on opposite sides of the continent ! Some of us travel vicariously, some of us make notes of places we' re going to go. Please, everyone, keep sharing your travels.

Wendy
stuck in Colorado for a couple more months (ok, so SW Colorado is a pretty nice place to be "stuck")

Marsha/CA said:
I'm beginning to love the "non-structured" plan.  Instead of staying only 1 more day, we've extended it into 2 more and will meet Tom, Chris and hopefully Robert (Caltex) for dinner tomorrow evening.

Marsha~

Non-structured is always more fun. We checked into a campground in La Crosse, WI for 3 nites to attend the La Crosse Jazz Festival. Wound up staying 2 1/2 weeks, had a lovely site overlooking the Mississippi River.

Last year we spent 2 1/2 months traveling up US 101 from Eureka, CA to Astoria, OR. Drive 40 miles, camp 3 nites, drive 40 miles, camp 3 nites. No reservations, no idea where we would be next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom