Dinghy Towing a 2005 or 2006 Honda Element

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yoicer

Hi, we want to tow a Honda Element but have conflicting info. We've been told that the 07 & 08 cannot be towed at all. We were then told that the 05 can be towed, that the owners manual has the instructions for dinghy towing, but the 06 does not. Can an 06 Element be towed? Thanks.

Depends on where the information is coming from.  A Honda dealership may be able to help, but even there you could get conflicting info.  The owner's manual will be the only source to tell you conclusively.  Many manuals for various makes/models of cars are available for download now, if you do a little Googling.

Honda withdrew approval for towing every model except CRVs in mid 2006, so you are not likely to get an affirmative answer from Honda. As far as anybody knows, there have been no transmission changes - just a warranty policy change. So you can probably tow it, but you would be on your own if you ever had to make a warranty claim on the transmission.

yoicer said:
Hi, we want to tow a Honda Element but have conflicting info. We've been told that the 07 & 08 cannot be towed at all. We were then told that the 05 can be towed, that the owners manual has the instructions for dinghy towing, but the 06 does not. Can an 06 Element be towed? Thanks.
If you have confidence in Honda automobiles, as I do, it can be towed 4-down. I have the 2006 "Shop" manual, there are no differences between the 2005 and 2006 model year drive-trains. Why did Honda remove it's blessing for towing 4-down, I believe it was money. It is my opinion that a lot of owners of 2005's, didn't follow Honda's maintenance schedule for towing 4-down, and it cost the company in warranty claims. Since I set up our 2006 Element, I have towed it 4-down over 7,000 miles without incident. This year, I met the owner of a 2007 Element in Ho-Hum RV Park. He has been towing his Element 4-down for more than 28,000 miles without incident. Again, it is my opinion, if you tow a 2006 and follow the  maintenance schedule for the 2005 year, as it relates to towing 4-down, you will not have any problems from towing. If you have no confidence in Honda and are the "worrying" type don't do it. I am not the worrying type and I bet the balance of my 2006 factory warranty on it; confidence is a wonderful thing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom