Mahoney return to Iowa via Washington DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhmahoney

I am near Bar Harbor ME at Narrows Too CG, 866-917-4300. It has been extensively renovated since I was last here 8 yrs ago. Sat friendly, full hookups, long wide sites. Several lobster pounds are within a mile of here. I will be here 3 nights to catch the Wed rebroadcast of the Formula One race that got partially rain faded by ex-hurricane Hanna.

The border crossing was a breeze -except for the tight lane. Citrus fruit was the only food restriction this time through.

Hywy 1A along the coast is in poor shape and mostly narrow.

Bar Harbor is still jammed with tourists.

Russ, glad to hear you're back in the U.S. without problems.

ArdraF

Day 2 at bar Harbor.
Went inland to a suggested restaurant for breakfast...closed for the season! Continued inland to hywy 1 and found a place in Elsworth. They did not make omelets the way I like them so ordered ham and eggs. I had given up going out to breakfast in Canada because I detest the deep fried potatos they miscall hash browns. To my horror that is what i was served today :-(

Proceeded back to Bar Harbor and had  good mug of espresso (an americano) something that I rarely got up north.

For lunch I went to a mexican place...not open till 5 PM. Just down the street was a superb little thai place so ended up happy.

That is till I started back to the CG. Storm front moved in and dumped buckets on me getting from car to rig (where raincoat and umbrella were).

Wow, Hope the rest of the trip is not like today!

Russ,

Well, at least you got a good Thai meal and we all know how much you love those!  I hope the drive home is easier too.

Safe travels,
ArdraF

Hey Russ,
Glad to hear you're back in the Good Ole US of A'. I'll send you my address so you can ship a few cartons of lobster to me!! :D

Re: the F1 race. Make sure you have all your soda and snacks set out before you start watching it, shut off your phone, and hang out the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Once it starts, you won't want to be interrupted. Trust me; this is probably the best one in the last 20 years! Enjoy!!! 

rhmahoney said:
I am near Bar Harbor ME at Narrows Too CG, 866-917-4300. It has been extensively renovated since I was last here 8 yrs ago. Sat friendly, full hookups, long wide sites. Several lobster pounds are within a mile of here...

Are they open?  The last time we were in Bar Harbor was around September 8-9, 2002.  All the lobster pounds were closed after Labor Day.  :(

Karl said:
Re: the F1 race. Make sure you have all your soda and snacks set out before you start watching it, shut off your phone, and hang out the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Once it starts, you won't want to be interrupted. Trust me; this is probably the best one in the last 20 years! Enjoy!!! 

I believe Russ has a TiVo with a pause button.  ;D

KodiakRV:  "The last time we were in Bar Harbor was around September 8-9, 2002.  All the lobster pounds were closed after Labor Day. "

Yep, at least 2 (between the causeway and airport) are still open and are busy.

Karl-Yes, I got the 2nd half of the race OK and so got to see the very exciting last 2 laps. I was jumping up and down, clapping and hollering up a storm. WOW!

This Belgian grand prix is being rebroadcast on Speed channel midday Wed (tomorrow) and is the main reason I chose this CG for a 3 day stay.

Jeff- Yes having my personal tour guide was a great enhancement to the summer travel.

Russ, I look forward to sharing a beer(me) and Red wine (you) again sometime.  Hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable.  We've closed the cottage for the season, and are home counting the days until we fire up the coach and head south. 

Ed & Donna

Russ

When you get to DC how about giving me any reports on construction, delays etc that you run up agaiinst.  We will be there arouind the end of Oct.  My route will be I-270 from Fredrick, I-495 around (either East or West)  to MD 4.  We will be staying at Andrews AFB.

Ed, your visits were a highlight of our Shediac stay.

The ferocity of the mosquitos there, however, were the lowlight!

Interestingly they have been no problem further south. None in St John and only a few at dusk in Bar Harbor.

Jim, I may not get into DC traffic at all. My visit will be just a bit N in Columbia MD.

Lobsters, Pharaohs, and guitars...Oh my!

On my last day in Bar Harbor area, Brewers arrived and we went to a lobster pound for supper. I dined on lobster and mosquitos dined on me.

Thursday, I headed for New York and arrived at KOA north in Newburgh NY (75 miles N of NYCity and 50 miles N of Carol D in Pearl River). Good wifi and a hole in the tree cover for DirecTV @$55.00/night.

On Friday we reminisced about friends who have passed on and previous dive trips.
Sat we took in a lecture at the Cloisters, a museum devoted to medieval architecture. The lecture turned out to be a walking tour of the museum and especially the cloister gardens, learning about the magical, medicinal, and culinary plants found there. The highlight of the tour was in the unicorn tapestry room where she pointed out the food plants and medicinal herbs in the tapestries, finishing off with the deeper layers of christian symbols and allegories.

As we left ( and it was starting to rain) the guard reminded us that our admission was valid at the Metropolitan Museum as well till 9 PM! So off we went and got to see ancient egyptian displays plus central asia and japan...a treat.
About 5:30 PM, we heard live music and traced it to a piano/string quintet playing in the mezzanine cafe. We scored a table within good hearing and relaxed with wine, cheese, and olives accompanied by Beethoven!

This was more walking than I usually do, so got to enjoy 9 hrs of sleep.

Sunday was hot and very humid so we drove around the local area and along the Hudson.

Monday transited down to Chet's in NE Pennsylvania. Very breezy day. Hywy 209 down to Stroudsberg is a well maintained road through a fed recreation area with a 45 MPR speed limit and no big trucks allowed...fun relaxed drive.

Today, Chet took me to the Martin guitar factory in Nazareth PA where we were the only people on the one hr tour. The very knowledgeable guide ( who showed us the pearl inlay he had just finished) must have liked our enthusiasm, so we got a 90 min tour. Our 2:30 PM tour was after most workers had left for the day. Thus the morning tour would probably be even better. The range of models made here is huge, from mainly laminate low end for a few hundred dollers through midrange $1-5,000.00 standard models on to $100,000.00 custom made really fancy jobs with pearl inlay everywhere. The attention to detail, the extensive quality control (no seconds are ever sold- all get broken up), and the areas where robots have infiltrated the assembly line are really neat. Robots handle the polishing of the bodies against 5 ft diameter wheels. Another station has the newly assembled but stringless instrument held in a stressed position to simulate string tension while the robot measures the hight of each fret (a low fret would cause buzzing). Sound amplification can be built in 2 ways: with a sensor under the bridge (looks like a stiff wire) or a microphone placed within the cavity near the central hole.

An excellent museum is just off the lobby with a superb history of this family company since the early 1800s. I especially liked the readability of the text (no mottled backgrounds, just plain white text on dark monochrome backgrounds). Off the gift shop was a small room with several guitars on the wall for people to try. Another glassed in room was for consultations. While we waited for our tour, we could see a solemn discussion over an open guitar case (looking not unlike a coffin) containing a guitar with several broken strings. This was a first class tour!

Sounds like a great day....museums, lobster and wine, who could ask for anything more? I thought $55 for a KOA close to NYC sounded like a bargain and I'm cheap !!

Please keep helping us vicarious travelers with your posts.

Wendy

Russ:

9 hours of sleep!

A tour a day and you'll be getting up with the rest of us. ;D

Russ and I sure got the deluxe tour at Martin Guitar yesterday. Our tour guide was the inlay craftsman from the custom department. He certainly knew all the steps in the manufacturing process and very thoroughly answered all our questions. The craftsmanship of the workers at this facility is truly amazing. He said they have very little employee turnover and have many 30-40 year workers. About the only openings they have are when some one retires. The factory is spotlessly clean and neat.

If any of you are in the Nazareth, PA area, be sure and take the time for this tour. They do tours at 11:0A and 2:30P Monday through Friday. More information can be found HERE. If you are lucky, you may even have Chris Martin for your tour guide.

Chet

Attachments

• _LND4365.jpg
    _LND4365.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
  • _LND4367.jpg
    _LND4367.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 32
  • _LND4373.jpg
    _LND4373.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 36
  • _LND4379.jpg
    _LND4379.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 33
  • _LND4381.jpg
    _LND4381.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 34
Washington,DC

On Thursday eve Chet took me to the photo club meeting to hear a pro photographer speak. Heard many tips on how to shoot auto race, golf tournament, football and baseball games. For example, focus on a spot on the field, turn off auto-focus and wait for the action to come to your spot. Use "motor drive" to take a series of stills to catch the critical shot.  Friday, I moved down to Cherry Hill CG at junct of I-95 and I-495 on the N side of Washington,DC. I am in site 73 with excellent Directv and internet satellite (satmex 5) reception. 50 amp full hook up fairly level site $50.00/nite. I am going to leave tomorrow, a day early...no problem, refund offered with no hassles! Good visit with a scuba buddy-Robert and Ramona D. Last 3 days reminissed with a high school and college buddy-Alan E, who had lived 3 doors away from our first house in Phoenix AZ in 1948, a year before we arrived from Iowa!

Tomorrow, I head west via VA, WV, KY, IN, IL to Iowa for HWH factory appointment, friends and relatives. Will head down to Phoenix about the first of Nov.

Back
Top Bottom