Canada - length of stay restrictions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macmac

Hi guys

Something we've wondered about but have no definitive guide.  To enter the USA, certain categories of traveller (like ourselves) need a visa or are allowed in under the Visa Waiver Scheme.

Such restrictions do not appear to apply when visiting Canada.  So what is the official situation for us Brits?  What is the maximum length of stay etc? and how does this work for repeat visits?  Do the Canadians allow much less restrictive entry to their country or have I got it all wrong?

Keith

I was curious too Keith. This Canadian Government web site suggests that Canada has a maximum stay of 6 months, just like the USA. This limit is repeated on several other pages of that web site.

Tom said:
I was curious too Keith. This Canadian Government web site suggests that Canada has a maximum stay of 6 months, just like the USA. This limit is repeated on several other pages of that web site.

Yes, Tom, that's we thought too.  Much the same as the USA but without the formality of a visa.  And I'd guess that if you returned 'too soon' (however that might be defined) wanting another entry permit,  the Canadian immigration authorities would probably take a similar dim view to that of the US authorities!!  :D

I doubt we'd want to go down that route anyway - nothing against Canada but it's a tad too cold there in winter for us....

Keith

I think the cold/snow is the reason they dont need to have a "formal" Visa system in place - who would want to be there for more than 6 months if freezing to death.

The other reason for the informal situation is that they dont keep upsetting people like the US (and the Brits) do, so the security doesnt need to be so thorough.

Paul

RVOA said:
Keith

I think the cold/snow is the reason they dont need to have a "formal" Visa system in place - who would want to be there for more than 6 months if freezing to death.

The other reason for the informal situation is that they dont keep upsetting people like the US (and the Brits) do, so the security doesnt need to be so thorough.

Paul

I agree with all this Paul. ;) :)

Keith

When we entered Canada on 12 April the Canadian Customs officer asked us how long we wanted to stay in Canada, for the reasons Paul as stated we said 6 months as we intended to cross west to east and had been informed that winter on the east coast can be very severe. :eek:

We intend to attempt to cross back into the US within the next few weeks thus obtaining our 2nd 6 month visa, if we have problems and are refused we will have to ask the Canadians for another 6 months and high tail it back to British Columbia where we are again informed the winters are similar to those in the UK.

Mick & Pat said:
When we entered Canada on 12 April the Canadian Customs officer asked us how long we wanted to stay in Canada, for the reasons Paul as stated we said 6 months as we intended to cross west to east and had been informed that winter on the east coast can be very severe. :eek:

We intend to attempt to cross back into the US within the next few weeks thus obtaining our 2nd 6 month visa, if we have problems and are refused we will have to ask the Canadians for another 6 months and high tail it back to British Columbia where we are again informed the winters are similar to those in the UK.

I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you guys.  Immigration issues have become my b?te-noire.... :D

I love (B)BC but still wouldn't want to be there in winter.  Tooooooo cold!  And that's how our Vancouver Island friends see it too.

Keith

Hope we don't have to take up a collection to buy Mick & Pat some woolly sweaters, heavy overcoats, gloves, and ear muffs  :(

Tom said:
Hope we don't have to take up a collection to buy Mick & Pat some woolly sweaters, heavy overcoats, gloves, and ear muffs  :(

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!   I have friends whose 12 months visas expire in December and I've quite literally just emailed them to suggest they spend winter in Vancouver, BC as they're not relishing the prospect of returning to the UK.  And they like the cold, snow, skiing and sailing - couldn't go wrong there I'd think.   ;D

Keith

Tom said:

Tom,

B.C. cannot be that much colder than the land to the west of Offa's Dyke  :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom