Any rallies in the Midwest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
My wife and I would love to attend an RV rally sometime (especially one associated with this forum), but do any occur in any of the Midwest / Central states?  Everything I see seems to be Southwest, Southeast, or elsewhere on the East coast.  I was hoping if there's not a regular, scheduled event in the central U.S., perhaps us interested forum members from the surrounding area could organize one for 2009.

Scotty,

Pick a date or timeframe and a location, announce it here, and ask folks to sign up (loose commitment, more like "I might be interested"). Maybe ask folks for suggested locations. You're now the official rallymaster for the 2009 RV Forum Midwest/Central US rally.

I suspect that signup/attendance will be affected by factors such as:

• Folks who work and have limited vacation time &/or have other plans.
  • Travel distance from wherever folks live.
  • Migration plans/paths of fulltimers who head north in the summer months and south in the winter months.
  • Others I can't think of right now.

Tom said:
Scotty,

Pick a date or timeframe and a location, announce it here, and ask folks to sign up (loose commitment, more like "I might be interested"). Maybe ask folks for suggested locations. You're now the official rallymaster for the 2009 RV Forum Central US rally.

Be careful what you ask for.....YOU MIGHT GET IT!!

On the other hand, I live in Northeast Alabama and would be interested depending on the location and time.

Be careful what you ask for.....YOU MIGHT GET IT!!

That would be good Cliff. Rallies and other in-person gatherings have helped forge some of the long-term relationships between folks here. Check out our About the RV Forum and scroll to the last paragraph.

Scotty

We'll be in Cincinnatti in mid May and Bowling Green, Ohio in mid-August for the FMCA International Convention. If you plan something in between, we should be able to make it, if you plan it  ;D ;D

Doona and I went to Nashville's Rally last May.  Depending on when and where we too would love to attend another late spring.  We plan on leaving Florida mid March, and heading as far west as Texas, maybe even see the Reavis there, heading north before it get too hot.  You might want to check with Gary to see what he has gotten planned.

Tom said:
That would be good Cliff. Rallies and other in-person gatherings have helped forge some of the long-term relationships between folks here. Check out our About the RV Forum and scroll to the last paragraph.

We have indeed made some very good friends while camping around the country. I just wish I had more time to do more traveling. After retirement in a few years that is exactly what we are planning to do.

I hope Scottydl comes up with a location that we can attend. If it is close enough, I might be able to find time to help out in some way.

Ok, looks like I'm in charge!  ;D  No problem.  I asked because I know how great meeting fellow RV'ers has been for us, and additionally I helped plan a regional meet for the other car club/forum (Aurora Club of North America) where I spend too many hours ;) and it was a big success.

So that being said, I'll set out to find a good location.  For those of you who have attended past rallies, what kind of parks/venues have you found to be most enjoyable and accommodating?  I'd suggest a campground at one of Illinois' many beautiful state parks, but unfortunately many of them are on the chopping block (thanks to our idiotic Governor, but that's another thread) so I'm not sure yet what would be open for next year.  Late May or early June would probably be an ideal time frame for scenery (green but not too many bugs) and temperature (not too hot yet), but we'll see how everyone's travel schedules look at that time.

If more folks can/will be further north than Illinois, we stayed at Covert Beach and Campground for the first time this year and it was amazing.  Nice cozy park and fabulous beaches and surrounding local culture.  We plan to go back at least once per year.  It's not a huge place though, so I'm betting spaces fill up fast and it may not be the best spot for a large group gathering.  Just something to think about.

Keep the comments and ideas coming!

Karl, I hate to say this, but neither did yours.  I got a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

Scotty, in your case Embarq couldn't find it.

ArdraF

I can't get either link to work.

I think Scotty's Covert Beach is probably the one in Michigan. But when I google it, I can't get that link to work either. Maybe rthe hurricane went that far north :)

Wendy

Wendy,

You can't get the links in my message to work either?  Are you by any chance using MSIE  ???

Just tried opening them in IE and everything comes to a screeching halt. Might be something on that web site that doesn't meet the IS non-standards.

Methinks you folks should change to a non-MS, standards-compliant browser such as Firefox.

The plot thickens; The links don't open in Opera either. Glad I don't use Opera as my regular browser  ;D

Tom said:
Methinks you folks should change to a non-MS, standards-compliant browser such as Firefox.

No thanks,, as you are aware I tried FF and ended up paying for another browser even though FF is free. 

Ron,

Sorry you had a bad experience with FF, but it's the only standards-compliant browser out there. In a word (maybe two), it's bullet-proof.

What are you using nowadays?

Still using iRider which I like very much.  Personally I would prefer IE over FF.  But again personal choices.  Not knocking FF, it just isn't for me.

Ron,

Since iRider hasn't been updated since November, 2007, you maybe should be concerned about vulnerability issues.

I know we won't change your mind about iRider, but others should not be lulled into downloading a browser that isn't kept updated.

Back
Top Bottom