Having problems deciding... any good advice would be appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zkim47

Hello everyone, I have sold my class c in favor of more comfort and space in a diesel pusher class A. Have been shopping around and I can tell you that I am totally and thourghly confused. my budget is $200,000 and I want to buy new. The price difference between a new one and a slightly used one is almost nothing. anyways, when I think that I have one rv that I feel is just great, I research and another one looks even better. I had my eye on the Gulf Stream Tourmaster, however, I have heard that Gulf Stream is not the most well built company and the service after the sale is aweful... Then I looked at the fleetwood excursion, and was actually pleased. Then I saw the Winnebago Tour WD excellent coach liked it a lot until I saw the Tiffin Phaeton. I just think that I need some guidance, and the salespeople are not helping me. they seem to want to sell whatever is the most expensive. I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experience with the Winnebago Tour and the Tiffin Phaeton. What I should look for and what makes a good coach and what makes a great coach... I don't want to buy because of the interior not knowing what is underneath supporting it.... Thanks a bunch and wish me luck.

The Phaeton is the hands-down winner in that crowd, though the Tour is a good one as well. For me the deciding factor would be the excellent reputation of Tiffin Customer Service and warranty policies. Tiffin will go the extra mile and treat you right, even long after your warranty has expired. There aren't many RV companies where you can pick up the phone and call the owner (Bob Tiffin) to discuss a problem - or just to tell him how much you like (or hate) his product.  And if you can get to the Red Bay, AL  factory for service, it's even better.

I concur with Ned about the Tiffin products. The Tiffin is far superior to any of the others you mentioned.  There after sales support is outstanding from all the reports I have heard.  Also the factory delivery is the best way to go.

That is a "problem" I would love to have, a $200k RV budget and deciding which Class A DP to buy!   ;D  From everything I've read (mostly here) I'd also say Tiffin has the best overall reputation from the manufacturers you mentioned.  Are the Monaco or Prevost/Newell lines out of that price range?  They all come highly recommended also.

We have a 2008 Tiffin Allegro (not diesel) looked at a phaeton but not in our budget at the time. TIFFIN hands down very nice coach. it was much nicer and drove better than the Itasca Sunrise we looked at also much nicer inside.

Here's another thought....as far as I know, Tiffin is the only RV manufacturer that hasn't laid off personnel or cut back during the down turn.

We have an 03 Tiffin Allegro Bus.  If we buy another one, we would most likely go with a Tiffin again.  (My husband wants a Prevost, but I doubt he will get one  ;D) The support is excellent from Tiffin from little things to big issues.  One of the things we like is if you are not close to a dealer to have warranty work done, Tiffin will authorize you to get the problem fixed at a nearby facility and they will cover the charge. 

If you decide on a Tiffin you could order what you want and take delivery at the factory.  They have a campground where you could stay for several days to make sure everything works.

One thing that I don't think a lot of people know is that Tiffin has developed their own chassis.  I'm not sure it's being offered quite yet and I don't know any specifics.  When we went on a factory tour last October, it was being built.  Ours is on a freightliner and I really like that fact because there are freightliner facilities all over the country.

The Phaeton is a very nice coach!

Marsha~

Are the Monaco or Prevost/Newell lines out of that price range?  They all come highly recommended also.

A Prevost bus shell alone costs more than a complete Phaeton and the conversion to an RV is in addition to that. Figure a minimum of $750k and most are in the $1M-$1.4M range. Newells are all built to customer order and I/m not sure just how cheaply inexpensively one can be built, but most are $1.4M and up. The Wanderlodge line has been revamped after the new owners took over, so I don't know their price range, but a 2009 reviewed in Motorhome Magazine was $1.1M.

Monaco is a full line coach manufacturer, including gas chassis models, so they cover a broad price spectrum. The most expensive Monaco/HR/Beaver/Safari leaves off about where the Prevosts start.

Folks that have Monacos have experienced excellent support just as we have with American Coach and I think Country Coach is also excellent.  As fare as a Prevost goes I wouldn't want to even risk having to deal with thier manufacturer since I do not speak Quebec French.

Every Tiffin owner i talk to is very satisfied with the product, you will hear about things that happen but every brand goes thru the same thing,  they have great customer service wich is good. HURRY UP!  Go buy a Tiffin and go camping. ;D ;D ;D

thank you soo much for all your comments.... I really like the styling of the phaeton, however, the interior is really traditional. Also, doesn't the phaeton come  with a 350 instead of a 400hp? does that extra 50 make a difference?

zkim47 said:
thank you soo much for all your comments.... I really like the styling of the phaeton, however, the interior is really traditional. Also, doesn't the phaeton come   with a 350 instead of a 400hp? does that extra 50 make a difference?

Yes, the 50hp can make a difference but performance also is related to vehicle weight. A coach with a traveling weight of 5,000#s more may need that extra 50hp just to stay even. Without that extra 50hp, it may take you a few minutes longer to get to your destination but you'll also probably use a few gallons less of diesel. Everything is a trade off.

Actually the torque rating of the engine (rather than the horsepower) is the more important factor in motorhome performance. You will notice more difference between say 1000 ft lbs and 1200 ft lbs of torque than you will between 330 hp and 400 hp.  For example, I have the Cummins ISL engine in mine and it comes in hp ratings from 370 (which I have) to 425 hp, yet all them are identical in torque at 1200 ft lbs. There is little or no difference in performance among the different hp ratings when climbing hills and all of them cruise effortlessly on the open highway. I'm moving about 33,000 lbs of coach and another 5200 lbs of toad.

The real concern is whether you have enough engine for the coach weight, including the toad you plan to tow. Mos diesel chassis are sized for decent performance, but if you have a heavy foot and hate to slow down even a little a bit on hills, you are going to want to opt for the biggest engine option available on any given coach model.

We have close friends who bought a Phaeton quad slide 40 footer last year and have traveled all over the northwest and across country with it and are quite satisfied. They have the Mercedes diesel.

I was just faced with the same decision during the past month, i.e. a Class C to a Class A diesel pusher. We had a wonderful experience with our Gulf Stream BTouring Cruiser and had thought about a Class A Gulf Stream until we received great advice from very knowledge RV Forum friends. After much research, we settled on a 09 Tiffin Phaeton...we get to pick it up next week...can't wait. Good luck on your search.

dredlake

Foretravel makes a great coach, within your budget.  At least something to compare against...

I too was having problems with decission on a new coach; however now that I have spent some time on the RV Forum I think we might wait a bit.  Our 2005 Chetah Safari has been a great coach and thank to the Forum for all their info and input.  And Safari (Monoco)customer service has been really great.    I am not in as big of a hurry to buy a new one now.  My husband seems to think he wants a 2008 Winebego Spectra that he seen, but I am not sure that would be a good move.  Good Luck on your new purchase and keep up posted as to what you decide on.

Back
Top Bottom