In the USA or returning there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macmac

Hi guys

Can't think of any other way of finding this out.  Wish I knew about this forum before!

Just curious who's out there travelling (in USA) or who's over here (in UK) with rig in storage etc and planning to return.  I'm in the latter category.

Interested to hear about your experiences, good or bad.

Keith

Keith

The British travellers I know of are :-

Mick n Pat - RV in storage in Canada - about to fly back out there.

Lindsay and Linda Wade - RV in storage in Florida - currently in UK

Ian and Doreen - RV in storage in Florida - not sure current location

Fred Kennet - currently touring in Alaska

Clive and Marla - somewhere in USA

Daisy and Ken - whereabouts unknown

Perhaps if they all read this, they will give their own updates on what their plans are.

Paul

RVOA said:
Keith

The British travellers I know of are :-

Mick n Pat - RV in storage in Canada - about to fly back out there.

Lindsay and Linda Wade - RV in storage in Florida - currently in UK

Ian and Doreen - RV in storage in Florida - not sure current location

Fred Kennet - currently touring in Alaska

Clive and Marla - somewhere in USA

Daisy and Ken - whereabouts unknown

Perhaps if they all read this, they will give their own updates on what their plans are.

Paul

Thanks Paul.  Mick and Pat I've altready 'spoken' with.  Derbyflan too just before lunch.  I'd love to hear from any of the others.

Keith

Hi Macmac
I have just finished touring in Alaska had a great time except for the weather, worst summer for over twenty years.
We are in Calgary Alberta at the moment awaiting on friends to arrive from the UK on the 26th of Sept.
Also we are killing time as we don't want to re-enter the USA before October the 2nd visa regulations so we can have a further 6 months before
we return to the UK and ship our RV over and import under the transfer of residence regulations.
On entry to the USA we shall probably  travel south on US 101 to San Francisco where our friends depart to return to the UK
Since starting our trip in April we have had good exchange rates on the pound until  the last 6 weeks down from the $1.90s to $1.75
and Canadian from $2.04 to $1.88 Gas up &up but slowly dropping down .
Any Questions just ask
FRED

fred uk said:
Hi Macmac
I have just finished touring in Alaska had a great time except for the weather, worst summer for over twenty years.
We are in Calgary Alberta at the moment awaiting on friends to arrive from the UK on the 26th of Sept.
Also we are killing time as we don't want to re-enter the USA before October the 2nd visa regulations so we can have a further 6 months before
we return to the UK and ship our RV over and import under the transfer of residence regulations.
On entry to the USA we shall probably  travel south on US 101 to San Francisco where our friends depart to return to the UK
Since starting our trip in April we have had good exchange rates on the pound until  the last 6 weeks down from the $1.90s to $1.75
and Canadian from $2.04 to $1.88 Gas up &up but slowly dropping down .
Any Questions just ask
FRED

Hi Fred - this is Keith.  Thanks for getting back to me.  Paul told me you were in Alaska - sorry to hear about the rotten weather.  Alaska looks great in the sun but it wouldn't appeal to me so much when it's cloudy and wet. 

If you don't want to answer any questions in public perhaps you could pm me?  And if there's anything you don't want to answer at all then I'll understand.

I guess you'll spend your winter in California and then you're returning home?  For good or will you return and buy another rig?  How many Canadian border crossings have you made and did you surrender your I-94 or retain it?  Always interested to hear how other travellers have organised their time in and out of the USA.

I am curious to know who's doing what to see if we can get any ideas.  We were in the USA for 18 consecutive months initially and have done a couple of 6 months trips plus one of 3 months last time.  We expect to do shorter ones - 3 to 4 months - in the future, INS permitting as always.  How have your trips been structured?

Curious also who's registered where and how it's worked out for them.  Our TX insurance has gone up significantly and we've thought about checking whether registering elsewhere would reduce outgoings without adding other costs.  Do you have a bus?  I'd like some truck/trailer insurance comparisons - I'll have to ring around when we come over.

Have you used storage any time and if so how did that go? 

Shame about the falling pound but we've enjoyed some good rates since mid 2004 when we started.  I'm hoping oil prices drop further as diesel was pretty pricey the last I heard and I'd like to use propane more for heating this winter, especially so if the coming AZ winter is as cool as the last couple...

We fly to Sky Harbor, Phoenix, AZ on November 12, staying until Mar 10 2009 ('INS' permitting)  Returning to go on the road next summer...all being well.

best wishes

Keith

Hi Keith
We insured with progressive $850.00 for the year which included breakdown cover, for a 32'  2005 Tiffen Alegro we are not towing a toad.
Every time we crossed the boarder we just got asked the normal questions, ie fire arms booze meat money, we handed our 1-94 in when we knew that we were in Canada for 6weeks and it would be the last time, we have never filled any forms in for Canada or told we must leave after a certain time , not sure how long you can legally stay, our pass ports were stamped as far as i know that is the only record they have on you.I was told by Us Customs we should have no problems when we re- enter the USA.
The RV is registered in Florida, we also have a mailing address in Florida which i took out for 12 months.
One thing people might be interested in,my wife is type 2 diabetic and we have her pills sent out every 3 months the packet is labeled with the contents and quantity of pills and stated prescription drugs  and who for there has been no problems with this.
Our route back to Florida will be via the southern states we hope to visit all the national parks on our way.
If we have any problems with entry back to the US i will post here
Storage no not used.and no will not buy another this one will do for a few years.

fred uk said:
Hi Keith
We insured with progressive $850.00 for the year which included breakdown cover, for a 32'  2005 Tiffen Alegro we are not towing a toad.
Every time we crossed the boarder we just got asked the normal questions, ie fire arms booze meat money, we handed our 1-94 in when we knew that we were in Canada for 6weeks and it would be the last time, we have never filled any forms in for Canada or told we must leave after a certain time , not sure how long you can legally stay, our pass ports were stamped as far as i know that is the only record they have on you.I was told by Us Customs we should have no problems when we re- enter the USA.
The RV is registered in Florida, we also have a mailing address in Florida which i took out for 12 months.
One thing people might be interested in,my wife is type 2 diabetic and we have her pills sent out every 3 months the packet is labeled with the contents and quantity of pills and stated prescription drugs  and who for there has been no problems with this.
Our route back to Florida will be via the southern states we hope to visit all the national parks on our way.
If we have any problems with entry back to the US i will post here
Storage no not used.and no will not buy another this one will do for a few years.

Thanks for this Fred.  Our premiums with National Interstate for the past two year have been $1200 for our Silverado 1 ton and $650 for the 36' trailer.  Florida registration might be a better bet?  I'll have to check this one out. 

How long does your Florida driving licence last?  We were told it was only issued for the duration of an I-94 ie 6 months maximum and then you have to renew on return to the US?  Any knowledge about this?  That would be a major pain but I'd expect I could 'trade' my TX licence for a FL licence if a mailbox address is accepted for registration.  Is that what you use?

You can enter Canada for 6 months maximum without needing a visa.  We only spent a couple of weeks there so we retained our I-94s.

I've heard things have tightened up with drugs being sent into the US - glad to hear your wife has no such problems.  I think the main concern is about Americans importing prescription drugs.

Thanks for the help thus far - hope the south is fine, dry and warm for your NP visits.

You said you'd be shipping your bus home but will you then ship it back to the US for more travelling?  Or will you have finished travelling there next spring?

Keith

Keith

Im not sure if we gave you our insurance figures?

We paid $1400 for the 2006 (new at that time) Expedition (stated as $150k) thru Progressive (using an agent in Montana; Garden City) - and that was on a UK Driving Licence. The 2006 (new) Ford Focus ($9k) cost us $1k !!!!

There is a list somewhere of the most expensive/cheapest States to Insure - Im sure one of the forum members will come up with it.

Personally, I would have a chat with the guys at RV Consulting (others are available) and ask how you MIGHT benefit from changing to Montana plates etc.

Paul

RVOA said:
Keith

Im not sure if we gave you our insurance figures?

We paid $1400 for the 2006 (new at that time) Expedition (stated as $150k) thru Progressive (using an agent in Montana; Garden City) - and that was on a UK Driving Licence. The 2006 (new) Ford Focus ($9k) cost us $1k !!!!

There is a list somewhere of the most expensive/cheapest States to Insure - Im sure one of the forum members will come up with it.

Personally, I would have a chat with the guys at RV Consulting (others are available) and ask how you MIGHT benefit from changing to Montana plates etc.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.  No you hadn't given me those rates.  I'll follow the links you've sent and wait for the dearest/least expensive rates from one of the members.

It will need some work to decide whether we can improve our position.

thanks again

Keith

Insurance.com do a yearly survey of cheapest and dearest insurance States - see 2006/7HERE

Of course, its not an exact science but it may give an idea of which States to investigate.

Paul

RVOA said:
Keith

Insurance.com do a yearly survey of cheapest and dearest insurance States - see 2006/7HERE

Of course, its not an exact science but it may give an idea of which States to investigate.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for this - will investigate further on the main website.

Keith

Hi Keith
I do not have a Florida driving  licence , i used my UK one but also have an international one with me , only good for 12 months, i was told if i was staying longer or coming back to take a Florida driving test, it is apparently easy to do, then insurance comes down some what. I did not follow it up as i am only doing 12 months.
We shall not ship the RV  back to the States we hope to use it for traveling around Europe ect.
A mail box is essential for registration and insurance and easy to set up .
Hope this helps.
FRED

How long does your Florida driving licence last?

A Florida Only drivers license, is issued to people who live in Florida part of the year, and is valid as a drivers license only in Florida.  You do not surreder your home base drivers license to get on, as you would do if you applied for a permanent FLA license if you were to become a permanent resident.

The identification requirements are very specific for a FLA only license, especially for non U.S. citizens.  You need to check that at a local license office or on the FLA State website.  ID such as your passport, an insurance policy and/or birth certificate are required.

You need to pass a vision test, but not a written test, and it is valid for one year at this time, costing $15.

Before 9/11 the same FLA only license was valid for 5 years, but that changed to try to filter out the bad guys ::)  All it really does is bring in a whole lot of $$ to the state.

Steve said:
A Florida Only drivers license, is issued to people who live in Florida part of the year, and is valid as a drivers license only in Florida.  You do not surreder your home base drivers license to get on, as you would do if you applied for a permanent FLA license if you were to become a permanent resident.

The identification requirements are very specific for a FLA only license, especially for non U.S. citizens.  You need to check that at a local license office or on the FLA State website.  ID such as your passport, an insurance policy and/or birth certificate are required.

You need to pass a vision test, but not a written test, and it is valid for one year at this time, costing $15.

Before 9/11 the same FLA only license was valid for 5 years, but that changed to try to filter out the bad guys ::)  All it really does is bring in a whole lot of $$ to the state.

VERY interesting and it helps to clear up some uncertainty. 

One further question if I may?  Can a Private Mail Box address be a legal Florida address for registration, title, insurance etc? (as in Polk County, TX for example)  Or -like Oregon - do you have to have a real, actual, physical place of residence in the state?     Strike all that - Fred's answered these questions in his posting. 

BUT If the PMB is OK for other legal reasons such as registration, can you then exchange your homestate driving license for a FULL Florida license?  I've got a 7 year Texas driving license - if I got a mailing address, could I then trade my TX license?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom