New ceiling panels buckled severely (please read!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a70eliminator

I'm in need of some help I think I may have just wasted a couple hundred bucks!
I totally gutted my trailer and replaced the floor and a bunch or rotted studs, I went and bought 12 sheets of this nice 5/16 that the wife picked out. I did all the walls first, then the ceiling, I blocked up the roof in order to slide the panels up under it it looked real nice at first, then the rain started, I covered the roof with plastic best I could then hightailed to lowes to buy a good tarp cover. Today I find that some water had gotten to the paneling and buckled the crap out of it, even the areas that are dry have buckled, I then look closely at a warning label on one of the panels (not for use on ceilings or areas of moisture garages motor homes below grade areas ect. This stuff is only particle board oh now what have I done! my heart just sank. The walls seem fine I used glue and panel nails. I have to replace the ceiling at least, and I can only find lauan in 1/8" not the 5/16 like original stuff, and the 1/8 says not for use directly to studs and I just can't make another mistake, do you think the walls will remain ok with this 5/16 particle board stuff? Will the 1/8 lauan be ok for the cieling? Thanks.

The particle board stuff is very moisture sensitive, but if it help through the first disaster maybe it is OK. Hard to say.

Home centers don't carry much luan, but a real lumber yard can probably get it for you. Don't expect low prices, though, especially if you are buying less than a pallet full (which you most likely are). A cabinet shop might order it for you too. Or you could glue to 1/8" sheets of luan together to make 1/4".  HERE is one place that sells 1/4" luan.

How about the panels they sell for bathroom & kitchen use? Those are rated for high moisture areas. Usually have some sort of printed finish, though.

I bought several sheets of luan for a project at Home Depot. I don't recall what it cost but, as Gary suggests, it's relatively expensive.

Thanks guys when I said particle board I actually meant to say MDF medium density fiberboard thats what I have, it was 17.00 a 4x8 sheet. I'm thinking about scabing up some 2x2 between the ceiling studs to try and take out the bows, the metal roof covering is off so it won't be too hard to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom