XP Home SP3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

Can anyone help? I have been getting an "Access is denied" error message when trying to install Service Pack 3. It installed without a hitch on my laptop with XP media Edition but it won't install on the desktop with XP Home. I have followed all the trouble shooting steps in Article 949377 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377 to the letter but still get Access denied. Am not about to cough up $59 to get Microsoft to support their own crummy product.

Are you logged on as an administrator?  Have you shut off any anti-virus programs?  Are you installing from Windows Update or have you downloaded the service pack and trying to install it from the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe file?

If you've tried all the above, have you tried installing in safe mode?

Hi,

More people have reported problems with SP3 than improvement.  If you don't believe me, just look at the 6 million hits when searching for:  xp sp3 problem.  Look at the list of fixes included in SP3.  If you are not affected by any of these problems, no need to install it.  If you are affected by one or two of them, install the specific hotfix.

You got lucky with the Access Denied error preventing you to install it.  Two co-workers ended up with a PC that would not boot until they took steps to repair or remove SP3.

Good Luck...

Ned said:
Are you logged on as an administrator?  Have you shut off any anti-virus programs?  Are you installing from Windows Update or have you downloaded the service pack and trying to install it from the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe file?

If you've tried all the above, have you tried installing in safe mode?

Have not tried the safe mode. Will try that.

Ned said:

Ned,
I installed from the update but did download the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe fi however, the instructions on the download page say not too use the file if you are only upgrading one computer so I haven't opened it.

The full exe file is intended for network administrators that have to update many computers, but it will work just fine for a single machine.  It's also not subject to possible errors while Windows Update does the download.  It's the only way I apply service packs to individual computers.

I do not believe you can update in safe mode (You can not download) as others have said you have to have ADMINISTRATOR privileges.

I had not problem with XP-3 on my systems, neither HOME nor PRO (Total 3 systems) save time to downlaod.

NOTE:  If your version of windows is not authorized (mine is) There new "Validation Tool" will deny you

You can log on as an administrator in safe mode and as he already has the full service pack download he doesn't need internet access to apply it.  And you can also start safe mode with network access so even updating via Windows Update is possible in safe mode.

BruceinFL said:
Marc,

Have SP3 on my laptop and it works great.

Bruce,

I know there are aa lot of people like you that run it without problems, but also a lot with problems.  Each case is different depending on hardware and drivers previously installed.

My point was more than like any fix, (MS or others), unless it provides a new feature required, or a fix to an existing problem.  There is really no need to rush to upgrade.  I work in the industry, and there are definitively some advantages to stay current, but there are also some advantages to keep running a stable environment.

Most of the problems with SP3 already have a fix or workaround for, but for the average home user, that can in some cases get complicated to resolve. 

Marc...

Aha!!! Finally figured out the problem. The install was taking so long, I didn't sit at the computer and monitor it before. When I returned, I found the Access Denied message. Well, today I sat thru it and Bingo!

I have BitDefender and to close it out before the install, I right clicked on the toolbar icon and selected Exit. Well, that didn't completely close the program...it was still protecting the registry. When it came time for the SP3 update to do the registry, a permission window for cmd.exe popped up and I had to physically allow access. When I did, SP3 installed perfectly. Apparently, on  the previous install attempts the permission window popped up but I wasn't there so the BitDefender program did its job and denied access for me. Lesson learned; Either stay and physically monitor the install or manually turn off each individual protection in the security suite.

Thanks for all your help and maybe my experience will help someone else.

BTW, SP3 is working flawlessly on both computers.

Good to hear, Bruce.  Just shutting off the user interface to many programs (like BitDefender and ZoneAlarm, for two) doesn't stop the program for interfering.  It just stops it from telling you what's it's doing.

I believe I am having a similar problem to Bruce.  First thing when I arrived home was answer the update icon and go for SP3 since SP2 was so easy to do a couple years ago.  I am not getting the access denied however.  It just seems the PC is getting hung up after a couple of hours.  Anyone know how long the download and install is supposed to take?  I sat from 8 to 11 pm then gave up.  However, since it was partially installed I had to sit up from 11 pm to 2 am letting it uninstall and restore catalogs, files, etc.  It works perfectly without SP3.  Am I one of the ones who would be better off not taking SP3?  If so, how do I get rid of the update icon.  When I say cancel, it just goes back and continues to sit on my tray.

Also if I accept the update, how long is the install supposed to last?

The file you want to download is WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe and it's a whopping 324MB.  You'll have to get it during the FAP free hours as Ron suggested if you're using HughesNet.  If you can access a faster connection via WiFi, I'd recommend using that to do the download.  Once you've applied the service pack, the update icon in the system tray will go away.  However, it will come back as there are subsequent updates that you should also apply via the usual Windows update.

Back
Top Bottom