fuel mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbigbadbob

I am considering getting a pop-up TC about 1450 lbs.(I have a 30' fiver) I have a 2005 Dodge diesel 4x4 long box, get 14 mpg towing and 20-22 mpg solo. What effect will a TC like that have on my mileage?

Good question and hopefully somebody with a similar rig will give a first hand answer.

Wind resistance is the major factor when towing a trailer, so I would expect better mileage with the TC than with the trailer, but less than your solo mpg.

Or were you planning on carrying the TC and towing the trailer too?

no, I won't be pulling a trailer when I have the TC on, hoped someone who has a pop-up TC would enlighten me with their experiences.

I have a second generation Cummins and a Lance slide in camper.  When completely loaded for a 430 mile trip I got 13.8 mpg.  I broke the trip into two days to visit friends and one day traveling was windy.  I would think with the lighter camper you mentioned, I believe you said 1,400 odd pounds, your mileage would be better, it would be even better if it is a pop up.  The 835 Lance I own is about 2,500 lbs with all options added.

We have the truck in my signature.  Pulling our 32' fifth wheel which weighs around 14,500# loaded, we average 12.090 MPG (this is the average both pulling & solo).  With our slide-in truck camper (not a pop-up, though...it's a 9.5' Eagle Cap which weighs, loaded, over 4,000#), we average 13.750 MPG (almost 100% with the camper on rather than solo). 

I would think that with a lighter, lower profile camper would give you even better fuel mileage. 

Seems to me that the pop up is pretty heavy.Anyway you shouldn't get much less than you do when running solo.The weight alone shouldn't make alot of difference,it's the wind resistance that hurts the most.With my 95 powerstroke[gone now] and my lance squire camper [2500#]I would normally get 13- 15 mpg. Without the camper but with the same 2500# of weight I would get 15 -18mpg depending on the mountainous region I was in.A friend of mine that has a pop up on a 2003 silverado crew cab 4x4 said that he hardly notices any difference unless he is in the mountains which we have plenty of in Oregon.Hope this might help a little.
Good Luck

I recently purchased a 2900# TC and haul it with a GMC 3500 CC 4X4; I am getting 10.8 on average. Before this camper I towed a 26ft TT with the same truck and the mileage I got was 9.2.

when you towing a trailer definitely it decrease mileage with solo mpg. therefor TC is good option rather then Trailer.

My buddies got pretty much the same set-up, and his fuel econ is around 16-17 hiway w/ pop-up in the bed. He does have a tuner (Banks econo-mind I believe) which improves h.p. and mileage.
I get about the same fuel mileage in my Dodge (one in pic.) fwiw.

i have an 04 dodge dually longbed 4wd, i get about 15-16mpg with a 3500 TC. The trick with the cummins is more fuel for better fuel ecomony. it doesnt really make sense but it does, See when you have more power generating its easyer to move the wieght which it will cause better mpg. I have a programmer on mine, well actually  2 of them. but the other one comes on when i go to the drag strip or sled pulling. i would seriously consider getting a programmer such as a Smarty or an EDGE. You can email me if you need any advice on how to get that truck moving. After all i am VP of a cummins club. lol
[email protected]
Nick

I just saw your post from Re: fuel mileage
? Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:29 AM ? almost a yr back. I have a 04 3500 auto with 40 K and carry a N.Lite 10-2 ...about 3500pds I guess. I have banks cold air and 4" silverline exhaust complete with delete. Now my question  is edge or what? I was thing the EZ. I have gauges temp trans, boost, and pyro. I should add I have the 410 gears. I would value any insight. I am a grandpa and drive like one too. thanks Sig
2004 Silver QC SW LB 3500 Banks Ram, 4" Silverline turbo back exhaust, cat delete, 4.10, AUTO, LT285/75/R17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Line-x Autometer Pyro
10 2 RD Northern Lite, FastGuns, Browning 9mm

My 99? Ram 2500 QC 4x4 has the 3.54 gears with an auto trans. It always does 21 to 24 empty, and 17 to 19 with a 2500 lb popup on the highway.
The truck has 71k on it and is stock except for the Bosch 275 RV injectors and a more open exhaust system.

See my signature for my details............ I just returned from almost 3,000 mile trip and avg. 12.5 .....

Back
Top Bottom