2009 Honda CRV 2 wheel auto towable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodtimes43

Looking to buy 2009 Honda CRV  2 wheel, auto.  Is this CRV towable and ok with Honda to do so. and does anyone know the price of installing a base plate on CRV.

Ask the dealer to let you review the owners manual.  If recreational towing instructions are not included in the manual I would want to do more research and get in writing that it is towable.

The 2008 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy towing Guide lists both the Front drive and All-wheel drive CRV models as towable without mods and there is no reason to believe the 2009 is any different, but have the Honda dealer verify it in the owner manual before you buy. Ask him to SHOW it to you (or some equivalent official Honda document).

I have a Saturn Vue and its basically the same as the CRV and the tow bar installed is around 1500, the brake set up depending on which you go with can from from 900 to 2000 and than a shield to protect the front if you decide you would like one run around 700.
Good luck to ya.

Hondas have a specific routine, shown in the owners manual, that must be followed prior to towing.  It is kind of like "patting your head while rubbing your tummy and tapping your left foot". Make sure you follow that or you will cause serious transmission damage.

The procedure for towing a Honda automatic is really very simple.  Shift from drive to neutral before shutting off the engine.  That's it.  What must be avoided is shifting from reverse to neutral without going to drive first.  We towed an Accord for over 40,000 miles in 7+ years with that procedure with no problems.

I've just gone through the same process on my 2009 CR-V
American Hitch wants $825 to install a Roadmaster base plate and wiring.
I bought a used base plate for $250 and installed it myself using the Roadmaster website for installation instructions.
It took about 3.5 hours and was relatively easy.  I had a local RV repair facility (not a dealer) install the wiring for $232.

I've managed to forget just about everything you can imagine while RVing: antennas, basement doors, electric cords plugged in, etc! Need I say more? ::)

But in 9 years and 125,000 miles of towing CRV's the simple steps of going from Park to Drive (I actually go all the way down to 1st) and back to Neutral has been simple enough that even I haven't messed it up. 8) 8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom