OEM TPMS video (Tire Pressure Measuring System) ..expensive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Much new info here on the Schrader system. Mandated for new cars??

My mechanic is in the process of gearing up for this service.  Lotsa bucks.

The video is rather long, so listen carefully...

In case you are interested...

carson FL

click here

Everything a dealer puts in is expensive. I was looking at the sticker on a Ford Flex today and the cost of the navigation system was $2900. Could by a top of the line GPS with all the bells and whistles for much less than that and the Ford system probably isn't as good.

My 07 came with an integrated TPMS and I've installed my own (Pressure Pro) in the coach and the car as well. So I actually have two TPMS in the car, but only one of them reports to me in the coach while towing it and that's when I really need it!

Is your mechanic gearing up to sell aftermarket TPMS or to repair OEM ones?  Or maybe just to deal with the paranoia that will likely result in some people if they get a warning from their TPMS?

I believe that a TMPS was mandated beginning with the 2007 model year for all passenger vehicles.  It is not required to refit older vehicles, but it's not a bad idea to do so.

BruceinFL said:
Everything a dealer puts in is expensive. I was looking at the sticker on a Ford Flex today and the cost of the navigation system was $2900. Could by a top of the line GPS with all the bells and whistles for much less than that and the Ford system probably isn't as good.

Not only that the GPS system that is provided in new cars is no where near as good as most any after market GPS.

Is your mechanic gearing up to sell aftermarket TPMS or to repair OEM ones?

He is gearing up to repair customer cars, Gary. Has a Porsche in his shop now for that.

Interesting - I have not heard that these systems ever need much in the way of repairs.  TPMS is basically pretty simple. Maybe the Porche has some advanced German engineering? They have a tendency to do things the complex way, to achieve some minor technical advantage.

Anybody here ever have a problem with an OEM TPMS? Quite a few cars have them and they've been on the road for a couple years now. Mine has been flawless in 19 months of use.

I have never heard of anybody having problems with the OEM TPMS.  Seem to be pretty reliable.  We haven't ever had a problem.

If I can remember all the details of his concerns, there were problems originally with the valve stems, which had to be replaced with very special ones. then there are special washers required. A special torque tools is required for fastening the specialized Schrader valves and on and on.

Then there were problems with inflation; after driving a few miles the alarms would go of. The customer would then return to have the pressure adjusted again and again. Each tire had to be put thru a learning curve with a special receiver. Get the drift? All these parts are expensive. The video relates to most of these parts.

I don't think I have embellished anything, just relating what he told me. I am not the expert, just an innocent bystander. ;D

What say guys, on this product.

carson FL

Since the OEM TPMS systems are so new, most of them are still under the vehicle warranty.  I don't see a need for such a service until these vehicles reach the end of their warranty periods.  For example, our 2007 GMC, purchased in December, 2006, has a 36 month warranty.  If a TPMS sensor failed, I'd take to GMC and get it replaced under warranty, which won't be up until December 2009.

I suppose the mechanic just wants to help the customer out and try to make a few bucks. There is no Porsche dealership within 60 miles from our small city. Would be a shame to drive 120 miles to have a TPMS valve system checked out.

I guess there is a reason for everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom