Need opinions on customizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackbird

We have no slides on our TT, and are looking for ideas on a custom living area. I cannot buy a larger trailer right now, this one is still new. We love the floorplan, just would like a larger HDTV.  I don't care for the booth/table. The couch is located directly across. I was considering tearing out the booth, adding some wrap around shelves and a 37" TV. This would give us a Mini living area. We are willing to give up the table, just need ideas on design for an entertainment center. Please post any and all thoughts, pics included.

Attachments

• remodel 001.JPG
    remodel 001.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 184
  • remodel 002.JPG
    remodel 002.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 138
  • remodel 003.JPG
    remodel 003.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 136
  • remodel 004.JPG
    remodel 004.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 147
Blackbird,

I just tore out my dinette and repalced it with a roll-top desk to make a computer/work area.  I'm happy with it, but I know my resale value is shot now.  Consider your resale value.  Also consider that your cat may not want you to give up the dinette.

Steve

Thanks Steve, never considered the resale. I would keep everything and attempt to put it back together, although I'd likely never get it the way it was. Yes the cat would not agree. It would be similiar to the Best Buy HDTV commercial with the dog, if you've seen it.

I think the only way that you can do what you have in mind is to board up the window, rip out the entire dinette, and put an entertainment center there. You could either also cover the outside with siding, or paint the windows balck since you'll be covering it. Keep i mind that whatever you decide to do has to fit in your front door. Sometimes that's a real challenge, especially with cabinets.

I also would like to have a 32 inch LDC TV.  I am considering the same thing.  Thinking maybe take out one bench from the dinette and putting a very small entertainment center there.  However my couch and dinette are both in the slide and I wonder about he weight when operating the slide.

I think you should do what you want and don't worry about the resale.  In my humble opinion, RVs loose so much depreciation that it really doesn't matter.  If you replace the dinnete with quality workmanship and get what you want, thats what matters.
In the end you'll be happier.

From a woman's point of view, I would not cover up the window, adding boards and new siding.  That would look "added on" and you will never be able to match everything.  You could install a black out shade that could be raised and lowered for the light and glare when TV watching.  When not watching TV, the window would still let in light and a cross breeze if you needed.

We didn't like the couch and booth dinette in our coach; and had them replaced making two seperate computer areas and a much more convenient eating area.  The coach may or may not be harder to sell if/when we sell it.  But in the mean time we LOVE the transformation and it's exactely what "We" wanted.

BTW, our coach is a Tiffin and when we visited the factory, they came in, looked at the remodel we had done and incorporated the idea in their new line of coachs.  So, you never know, you might start a new trend.... :)

Marsha~

How about installing blackout shades over the window and then hang the 37" tv on hooks from the cabinet. You could store the tv somewhere else when you are not watching it and then you wouldn't have to do a major remodel.

All of you have great ideas. Thank you. Seilerbird you've got my attention, the hook idea is great. I'd still like the dinette to go to add additional sq. footage of open area. I guess I need to draw something up, and have the wife give the o.k. If she's not happy, neither am I. Thanks to all.

You could also make a TV mount that swings up when not in use. Mount it to the ceiling and then have it on a gas strut or something. Harder to build, but really cool (if you ask me). Could you simply remove one bench and the table top and store elsewhere for extra storage?

Best of luck!

--
Chris

I wouldn't cover the window either.  But you could build a cabinet below but as high as the window, and have the tv rise from inside the cabinet.

Here's another idea to think about: 

Remove the dinette.  Place the tv on a wall mount that allows it to go flush with the wall up above by your overhead cabinets.  Below your cabinets along the outside wall build a small cabinet about 10 inches wide and the width of your booth.  That depth is just the right size for canned goods or paperback books.  We extended the end of our cabinet to make an area for wine bottle rack.  You might not need that part of the idea.  I'm attaching a photo so you can understand what I'm explaining.  It's behind the dark brown chair.

Marsha~

Attachments

• DadNewChair.jpg
    DadNewChair.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 129
Back
Top Bottom