Towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alberta71RT

Hi, Im looking at buying a truck to pull my fifth wheel (38 ft, 10,600 LBS UVW). I have found a 1998 dodge 3/4 ton , V10,auto, 2wd, 3:55 gears. The only information i can find on the net goes back to 1999 and gives a towing capacity of 13,500 lbs for all gear ratios. Is it safe to assume that the 98 would be rated the same as the 99?? does anyone have input on this? or have a link for towing capacities before 1999? thanks

First of all the UVW does not mean a thing when figuring weight capacities.  Use only the GVWR unless you intend to always tow the trailer empty with nothing loaded.  Beside likely the UVW is incorrect anyway.  Please provide the GVWR so we can help.

Yes i understand that the UVW is the unloaded weight (and its probably infact more like 11,200 lbs) .The only time i will be pulling is when it is unloaded. We have a seasonal so its more for just pulling out in the spring and back in the fall and if there is any warranty concerns.The carrying capacity of the fifth wheel is 3300 LBS but  I am not going to be pulling it fully loaded.

Alberta71RT said:
Yes i understand that the UVW is the unloaded weight (and its probably infact more like 11,200 lbs) .The only time i will be pulling is when it is unloaded. We have a seasonal so its more for just pulling out in the spring and back in the fall and if there is any warranty concerns.The carrying capacity of the fifth wheel is 3300 LBS but  I am not going to be pulling it fully loaded.

The only thought I would have is where is that seasonal site?  If it is in the mountain or Pacific west, better deduct 20% from the tow rating for altitude and grades.

Back
Top Bottom