How do you get those black streaks off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonnysX2

Right where the water runs from the gutters off the roof, the slide out and I guess mostly everywhere - I have those black streaks that I CAN NOT GET OFF!  Been this way since i bought it, and its a 2003 - so who knows when they were cleaned if ever. Anyways, I tried full strength simple green, this strong orange citrus cleaner, streak remover from Wal-Mart (junk) and nothing is getting rid of these.  I've been rubbing till I couldn't move my arms and this is a 30 footer!  Any ideas?  Plans are to sparkle this up so I can wax it before winter.  PS- another camper told me mop-n-glow works great as a protectant.  ever heard of that?

Thank you!

I use Wesley's Tire Cleaner.  Spray it on, use a wet WHITE terry cloth towel to effortlessly wipe off the streaks and hose it down well.  Don't let the light blue color scare ya.  I have not had it to stain anything so far. Be sure not to leave it on too long and always use a white towel, colored towels will bleed on to the surface and well let's just say the black streak will no longer be the problem.  You can also use the cleaner and again a white towel lightly dampened to get rid of stains in carpet, blot as dry as possible with white dry towel.  I have had no success with removing a stain made by cool-aid, tough stuff there.  I use the stuff on tires, carpet, boat, ice chest, stubbborn spots on my awnings, cause I don't know what others recommend for awnings, my biggest problem.  May want to do a test spot down low just to see how well it does for you.  One thing I found out about the black streaks if you don't scrub the roof real often the streaks just keep getting worst. Give it a try my buddy did and he was shocked at how easy it cleaned it.  Don't know about mop N glow.  I use Turtle Wax paste on my truck and 34'11 camper, talking about your arms falling off, do both the same day.   

We have used DriWash n Guard for years which also removes black streaks.  There is also products specifically made to remove black streaks however we like DWG better.

Most good car cleaner/polishes will remove black streaks, though it may still take some rubbing. Detergents generally will not. They make aftermarket gutter extensions so that the run-off does not go down the side. That helps keep the streaks off.

Dri-wash is good (I use it on the more difficult parts and Protect-all elsewhere), but for black streaks you need more "cleaner' and less "shiner". One of the marine or auto de-oxidizer products would probably be a good choice. They are designed to remove surface haze, which should include the black stains.

The nature of the black streak is whatever grime has accumulated on your roof and then run off with the rain water. What works for one person may not work for another because their "black" is chemically different. Sometimes you have to try multiple products to find what will cut through the particular accumulation you have. In your case, with 5+ years of accumulation, it may take multiples to get through it all. The de-oxidizers, though, are essentially rubbing compounds that actually remove a bit of the surface, so they should get the dirt.

I've been using softscrub for the past 15 yrs.  Even on the yearly reoccuring streaks it does not dull the finish any faster than maother nature.

Excellent!  Thank you all very much!  I haven't tried any of those things yet, but will now.  Thanks again.

Question.  How do you get the black streaks off if you can not do it yourself?

I would like each year a year or so to have the outside detailed by someone experienced in this.  Someone to detail it.  Wash Wax the whole outside.  Someone who will not harm my finish or roof.

I can not be the only one in this situation.  I take my truck into a detail shop each spring.  What to do with a 27ft trailer>

Over the years I have tried most of the commercially available products, most just don't work. This year I did find out that wet dyer sheets seem to as well if not better than any of the commercial products and they also  will remove bugs and road tar from the front end of our 5'er, without a lot of elbow grease.

I forgot this one "Magic Eraser"! I think made by Mr Clean or something, and you can get the store brand for half the price, just as good too.  Wet the front end of the truck or RV down for a couple of minutes and it will clean them right off. I dip mine in my bucket of car wash mixture for a little added help.  Works well on those black streaks, glass, mirrors, chrome and plastic trim also.

Ken,

I've seen many "pro" detailers come to campgrounds and to rallies. You might want to ask while staying at various camprgounds &/or when making reservations if they have a local/visiting detailer.

Tom, Thanks, I remember seeing a professional with truck and all the equipment detailing a rig while on my last trip.  I had forgot about that.  In fact there was a sign in the laundry/shower room for this business.  Thanks for reminding me.

There are independent RV detailers in many areas (larger metro areas or where there are many RVs, e.g.at a large lake). RV dealers often supply the service too, though with mixed results (they may just have their "lot boy" clean yours up, just like they do the ones for sale - the standards aren't real high).

Being a new RV owner this year I am in the learning process on many things.  I spend a lot of time at my RV dealer asking questions about products,  they recommended "RV DO" by orange product corp.  This stuff is amazing you spray on wait a couple of seconds and wipe off with a cloth,  no elbow grease required .  It is biodegradable, non-toxic, completely safe. The black streaks come off with litte effort.  The down side is that it is an expensive product $20 for a 32 oz bottle, but like the salesperson said you get what you pay for.  A lot of other products for less money,  but require some elbow grease to get off.

AquaEZ Spa and filter cleaner. You can get this stuff at Lowes and it removes the streaks effortlessly. Just spray and wipe. It won't hurt the finish either. About $5.00 a bottle.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/mccoysphotos/aquaez.gif

i looked at lowes and could not find the stuff.
even whent to the local spa dealer.
all he had was some filter cleaner that was 20.00 a bottle it was citrus.
and he said it probly wouldnt work.
im in newengland maybe the aqua ez is not in this area.
a guy at work said to check wallmart.
ill have to look around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom