How do you get those black streaks off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a waxing job removed all the streaks on my RV.  Some were pretty embedded into the diamond shield and 95+% of those stains even came out with the waxing

My guess is that the black streaks were waxed over before you bought it.  Private sale or dealer?  Have you tried to attack the problem from this stand point?

If the siding on your rig is aluminum then those black streaks might be etched into the rig from acid rain. We had several rigs which just could not be cleaned by any method available to us. Perhaps very heavy elbow grease might get most of them. We always used Korkay which seemed to work in most cases but some were just too stubborn.

I have been going around and around on this to find something that was simple and could be more versitile. After spending lots of money on things that just didnt work or that risked some of my vinyl graphics or seals. I thought I would share what I settled on: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-fiberglass-cleaner-black-streaks/. This LA Awesome cleaner is good for black streaks and  alot of things around my RV/home . It even took mildew off my awning!

::) Ha!

That "Awesome" cleaner is available at any Dollar General Store from coast to coast, at much better pricing.

Be very careful because it is concentrated and will also cut through paint and gelcoat.  I have found a 50% mix with water is a good general guideline.  If you use it full strength for stubborn stains, spray it on a rag or sponge and then rinse the area quickly with water.

Be careful, its powerful stuff.

Mean Green from Dollar General. It's worked for me for over 7 years. A fellow RVer put me onto it and it wrks well and will not hurt the finish.

I can honestly say "Totally Awesome" from Dollar Tree does a fantastic job with minimal elbow grease... I just finished doing mine a few minutes ago and the black streaks are gone...

Just a word of warning.... On non white surfaces there appears to be a little chalky residue left behind with "Totally Awesome"

Short, simple answer: Reliable1.  Look it up, order on-line. Spray directly on dry RV surface and wipe off.

Another version of simple green is Zep Orange Degreaser and it works pretty darn good on fiberglass bodies. The only small problem it strips all the wax off too.

Meguiar?s Cleaner Wax:
We washed the trailer with Camco Black Streak Remover and followed by waxing the trailer with Meguiar?s Cleaner Wax. The cleaner wax with a little elbow grease removed stains almost everywhere; that?s stains on caulking, stains around the water heater exhaust vent, stains left by the black rubber slide gaskets and the leftover black streaks from the roof.
The Cleaner Wax also left a beautiful shine.

Streak-x from rvtech is a beautiful thing. We bought our TT that was stored outside and had some bad black streaks tried just about everything got tired of busting my behind googled black streak and this amazing product came up purchased a gallon although it is expensive well worth every penny. :)

Perhaps its time to reiterate that all "black streaks" are not equal and what works on one RV may be totally ineffective on another. The black is plain old dirt suspended in the water that runs off the roof after rain or dew, and the content of the dirt varies by area and time of year. Commonly it's a mix of chalk from rubber or painted roofs mixed with soil and tree residue, but it may include airborne waste from industrial smoke stacks or chemicals vented into the air. Acid rain is also a factor, essentially etching the runoff into the surface. These extra chemicals in the dirt can be a challenge to remove.

If one of these solutions doesn't work for you, try another and another until you find one that has the right solvent for your particular kind of dirt. And be prepared to rub them out with an automotive or marine polishing compound too. Sometimes its the only thing that works.

Found what works for me, Finally got rid of the black streaks on the front of our 5er.  Rinsed the front with the hose then sprayed Awsome on it and rubbed with a Mr. Klean Magic Eraser and all gone, Did not require much rubbing.  Put a coat of 303 on the decals, then put a light coat of rubbing compound followed by a coat of paste wax except on the decals then put another coat of 303 on the decals and she looks like new.  :)  :)  :)  :)

Will 303 help revive the decals?  They are a thorn in my side :(

JoAnn

My black stuff is from a recent fire in my water heater....one of those that happens when the pipe gets blocked from a spider web or something and it caused a small quick fire that went out but left some sooty black on the side of the coach above the heater.  I wiped some of it off with a damp rag right after it happened but the rest did not come off.  No evidence of fire or heat damage, just soot staining.
Was going to try bleach water, simple green full strength, bon ami, and anything else someone here on the forum might have used for the same kind of black soot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom