EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Safe overnight Nashville, Walmart?  (Read 38309 times)

Path07

• ---
Re: Safe overnight Nashville, Walmart?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
Many cities have put up those signs, but Wal*Mart takes the stand that it's their property and they will allow RVers to stay there overnight.

We live in a waterfront community where most folks own boats. A couple of years ago the county implemented and enforced a similar code to the one you're faced with. See this message.

Our city now has this bylaw but it was never published, as long as someone doesn't complain you are ok.... but it's all on borrowed time!!!!

So I'm already looking for a storage area (commercial) to put my future trailer.... since the bylaw says that the RV owner must be the same as the home owner,... so even though a friend has room in his driveway (to the side of his house) I cannot park it there!

I understand the parking in front of the house during off season (winter) but during summer months it's a big stupid!
Pathfinder SE 2007
Just purchased Kodiak 25QS

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
...  so even though a friend has room in his driveway (to the side of his house) I cannot park it there!

That's a bit ridculous.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

WilleyB

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »
Hey! how about a whole Province RV overnight parking ban!  ;D

Well not too much to get excited about as we overnighted at many W-M's in the Prov.  in front of, along side of, and and actually tried to be as conspicuous close to the signs as we could be. DW was a bit nervous about it  but nothing happened, not even a request to leave. I was also pleased to see a few more motor homes pulling in and ignoring them.  A stupid law the result of a lobby by the independent Tourist industry businesses with no other aim than GREED.
So Boycotts do indeed work, and the loss of revenue is felt by all.  Actully myself and others have been working on this since the Fall of 2006 (trip to park under the signs). In addition to the loss of tourist $$ there would be the cost of enforcing it which would be astronomical.  It wasn't Wal Marts law so the province would have to pay. The only way the police can intervene is if Wal Mart complains, and since they didn't no one bothered us including the Police patrols.
This has been a long hard road, the signs are mostly gone, and when I find the location of one all it takes is a phone call to have it removed. I won't bother posting a photo of the Atlantic shopping centers signs as they were much the same thing. I'm told that the Govt. is talking to the head offices to remove the signs, also that the Act in question will be revised. No doubt that when the act is revised the industry will lobby individual Municipalities to pass such By-Laws.
If and when the act is revised, It is my intention to write the Council of each Municipality and inform them of the consequences (Boycott) will do if they pass such regressive legislation. The loss of RV tourism cost to the whole province is readily available as an incentive for them to think differently. Boycotts do work, get the word out on the net, it takes time and perseverance but it can be accomplished. Folk's this story is much too long for a post

Cheers
Willey

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:52:04 PM by WilleyB »
2000 Vanguard VXL2000
Just for Me the Missus and the fur baby
Home is Nova Scotia

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »
Thanks for the report and link Willey. I won't be avoiding any towns or shopping at any WM store because they have "No overnight parking" signs.

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »
I for one would appreciate if you all could be a bit more specific when you mention that RVs are not allowed to overnight in your province or city.  Glancing at your profiles doesn't help as you don't have a city listed  Perhaps you could just mention the town or area that has the ban so we know what to expect if we pass that way (or we can at least put it in a file for future reference).

Steve
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
Cortez, Colorado - No Overnight Parking signs at Wal-Mart but not enforced

Durango, Colorado - No Overnight RV Parking signs and enforced by WM & police

Farmington, New Mexico - no signs and no problem parking overnight

Bend, Oregon - No Overnight Parking signs, enforced by WM & police - used to be ok until people started homesteading there, putting out carpets, bbqs, etc. and staying for weeks at a time.

Gallup, New Mexico - No Overnight Parking signs - not enforced

These are ones that I personally know off the top of my head. There are a lot of websites and yahoo groups dedicated to providing info on Wal-Mart overnighting. A google search will turn up tons.

Enjoy
Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
Lake Havasu City, AZ - No overnight parking signs, but have no idea if they're enforced and don't care.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »
It only take a few ignorant self serving individuals to ruin it for everybody.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »
Thank you Wendy and Tom.  I've never been much for Yahoo groups but I suspect I need to start looking at them.

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »
I agree Ron!  Those who abuse what we all use ruin it for everyone!  In the boating (cruising) world, one is supposed to have the right of free travel (in US waters), but many states are creating laws (especially Florida) to limit your stay in any anchorage to keep out the squatters.  Here too, those who abuse destroy it for all!

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 05:45:08 PM »
Don't know if this is common practice cross the country, but Wal*Mart parking lots within a 100 miles radius of us host "RV shows" in their parking lots. They're actually dealer shows - one or more dealers employ sales guys who spend full time moving RVs between different WMs in the area. They stay a week or two, then move on to the next.

You'd think this would be a good reason for those sales staff to overnight in their own RV. But, when I talked with one sales guy, he emphatically told me he stays at a nearby motel.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
If you don't like Yahoo groups, try this site....it lists Wal-Marts that individuals report do NOT allow overnighting parking. But be aware that it's not always accurate. And often when there are signs posting against overnight parking, overnighting is allowed.

Flagstaff, Arizona - has No Overnight Parkings signs but we've stayed there and have seen others do so. But it's always been in the winter when there weren't tons of tourists around. They may enforce it more during the busy season.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »
Tracy, CA - close to I-205. Don't recall seeing signs, and I always see RVs there. Some are overnighting, others seem to think it's a campground.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »
Thanks for the link Wendy, another wealth of information.

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

busa

• ---
  • "Nothing`s better than the outdoors."
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 07:38:34 PM »
I have to agree with gary in this one. Wal marts are as safe as any campground as long as they are in a decent neighborhood. I have done that 2 times, and no problems so far. Use your judgement on location, what kind of cars are driving around, is there nice subdivisions or homes in the area, if you see too many police cars patroling around you know is a problematic area, etc...

Sometimes industrial, comercial or downtown areas are the home of lots of "late night illegal buisness" including homeless and you know what else. It is a gamble no matter what, but acording to statistics, you should be ok.
2008 Forest River Charleston freightliner xc 400 cummins ISL 41 feet long pulling a 2007 Nissan Armada. Tampa, Fl.

WilleyB

• ---
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
I won't be avoiding any towns or shopping at any WM store because they have "No overnight parking" signs.
Hi Tom, I'd defend the right of property owners to post their properties for their own reasons, but I'm 100% against minions forcing property owners to post or limit the use of their properties in their self interest of gouging. This was the case in Nova Scotia, the Province didn't push this it was the federation of Independent Business Assoc. spurred on by their sub branch "COANS" (Campground owners Assoc of NS)
What happened was the Prov wouldn't push the issue (too expensive) so the minions took it on their own to convince major retail business that they were breaking the law by letting RV's park overnight. Net result of this was a loss of RV traffic to NS to the tune of 20% per year compared to the previous year. Now after 20% per year per year, that is a lot of tourist $$$ to lose so the general population has to make up for it in taxes. Camp grounds here don't open until July 1 and close after Labor day weekend so with stupidity like that wheres a tourist going to park if they arrive before or after those dates.
Perhaps you could just mention the town or area that has the ban so we know what to expect if we pass that way (or we can at least put it in a file for future reference).
Steve In my case the Tourism Act is not a By-Law, it is a regulatory act that covers the whole   Province "every town and city" however as said  above it is being corrected. Instead of removing signs town by town our legislative rep (MLA) informed me yesterday that they are doing as I asked by tackling the problem at the head offices of each large retailer. Hopefully all restrictive signs will have been removed by next season. It's still messed up in one city in that a New Wal-Mart has the sign quoting the act that it is against the law to overnight,  and another business directly across the road from it has a Welcome RV's & Dump site available sign. It doesn't get any more ridiculous than that does it. There are plans to revise and re-word that section of the Act and that has been my pet peeve from the start.  It was kind of funny though when I wrote to every member of the Legislative Assembly to ask them "Who was Lying, Wal Mart or them" man did that ever open a hornets nest, then the signs started coming down.
I have no problem with Wal-Mart putting RV restrictive signage for their own reasons.  Please remember at the start of this in 2006 it was considered illegal (but not enforced) for my brother to let me park in his yard overnight while visiting. It's kind of funny but most Police don't even know or care about it as they are not empowered by the Prov to enforce it. Also it is of legal opinion that the Province does not have the authority to enforce it. So in summation we have
an illegal law that makes land owners law breakers if they allow RV's to overnight on their property all brought on by camp ground owners who have decided to declare war on their prospective customers. What a way to run a Prov.
Now don't get me all wrong in regards to CG owners, I have also lobbied for public funding to help the Camp grounds  upgrade to a competitive status. Some are in dire straits from waiting for the law to force customers into their establishments.
Geez I'm long winded when I get going  ;D
Cheers
Willey

2000 Vanguard VXL2000
Just for Me the Missus and the fur baby
Home is Nova Scotia

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »
I'd defend the right of property owners to post their properties for their own reasons, but I'm 100% against minions forcing property owners to post or limit the use of their properties in their self interest of gouging.

No disagreement.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 07:48:39 AM »
One of the safest parking lot overniters that we have spent was in a lot that didn't look very good. We were visiting friends in Pasadena, CA but couldn't park on the streets near them because of the strong pitch of the roads. Driving around with them on the way to our restaurant destination on Rosemead, we came across the Temple City K-Mart. Almost kind of scary. I went inside to ask about overnite parking and was told it was illegal by city ordinance. As I went back to the coach, I saw a police car patrolling the lot and asked if he could suggest a campground or someplace safe to park. He said to stay where I was at, he would keep an eye on us until his shift ended at midnite and notified his desk sergeant to have the next shift watch us also. Worked out well and we didn't get ticketed for parking ;D
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 08:36:31 PM »
Hey!  We could run two safety tests at the same time -- let's have the next rally at a Mexican Wal-Mart!    ::)

Frank
Florida

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »
Wendy,

FYI, Flagstaff does sometimes enforce the rules. We stayed at Sams Club in Flagstaff with no prolems, but it was late and snowed that evening.

ken

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »
All this Wal-Mart discussion so I ended up in a SuperCenter in Elkton, MD tonight. ;D

busa

• ---
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »
Don`t you dare go to bed. Keep an eye out the window. ;D ;D ;D
2008 Forest River Charleston freightliner xc 400 cummins ISL 41 feet long pulling a 2007 Nissan Armada. Tampa, Fl.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »
Keep an eye out the window.

And have the firearm ready, but don't answer the door to anyone  :o

busa

• ---
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
Now that you mentioned firearms. What are the laws about firearms. Can you keep firearms in your coach? Is it consider like a house? where you can keep firearms and rifles without consealed weapons license? And is it different in other states?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2008, 10:01:15 PM »
Laws vary by state. Try using the Advanced search link above to find prior discussions. Remember that, if you miss, you might hit a neighbor or some other innocent bystander, and you'll be in deep doo doo.

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
Now that you mentioned firearms. What are the laws about firearms. Can you keep firearms in your coach? Is it consider like a house? where you can keep firearms and rifles without consealed weapons license? And is it different in other states?

Busa, there are somewhere near 25,000 laws, governing firearms, in this country. There are Federal, State, county and city laws. There are Federal, state, county and city agency laws, and no two states are alike. You have to study the specific location you are going to be in, to learn the laws, there. It is particularly important if you plan on traveling with a firearm.

You can reduce the size of the job, by narrowing the search to your area of interest. For example, taking note of the subject of this thread, your interest would be in personal security. For best information on that, search the internet. I suggest packing.org or http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and hasten to note that i haven't been able to pick up packing.org, lately.

For discussions on the adviseability, ethics, and a few technique commentaries, of carrying a gun in your RV, there are a number of simply riveting threads on the RV Forum, that can be found with a search, here.

For preliminary responses,

Can you keep firearms in your coach?
  Yes, in most areas. Not in all areas, however, so check it out. When I am going to a state where I have not been, recently, I call the State Police office, in the capital, and ask. They are very forthcoming and helpful. Write your questions down, first, so you don't forget to ask one of them.

Is it consider like a house?
  This is a state law issue. In most states that I know about, an RV is a residence (like a house) and residential rules apply. In my state, your tent, out in the boonies, is a residence. May not be the same in all states, so check it out.

where you can keep firearms and rifles without consealed weapons license?
  Check the concealed weapons laws in whatever state you are going to - or through.

And is it different in other states?
Yep! No two alike. Some similarities, but "close" is not good enough. Cross your T's and dot your I's.

For a starter education, I suggest taking a Concealed Carry License course in your home state or a nearby state. Normally, these courses are 8 hours. May be split into two four hour evenings. Doesn't matter that you may not be interested in carrying concealed. Those courses are good basic courses in firearms law, dealing specifically with personal defense and personal security. You don't have to apply for the license, just because you took the course.

Ray D  ;D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:37:30 PM by Ray D »
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »
And have the firearm ready, but don't answer the door to anyone

Tom, I'm shocked! :o

Here we are in a thread that deals with personal security and no one has mentioned firearms - until now! You surprised me!  ???

Am I in trouble, yet?  :-\

Tom, I'll go back to my corner and behave, now.  :(  ::)

Ray D  :D  :D ;D
Boise, Idaho. U.S.A.F. Vet. Damon Challenger, Workhorse/Vortec, 2005 towing a Suzuki XL-7, 2003.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
LOL Ray, maybe I'm the one who should go hide in the corner  ;D

For the record, we don't carry firearms in our coach and don't have any at home. I use a slingshot for long distance and a tire iron for short range. I can also do a good imitation of a Welsh Corgi yapping at the door.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:31:09 PM by Tom »

Ray D

• ---
  • Jasper
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
Gee, Tom! This is getting worse!  ::)

In many jurisdictions, a sling shot falls under the same laws as firearms. Welcome to the firearms club!  ;D

The tire iron is slightly superior to a gun, in close quarters - like in an RV. A classroom training technique pits gun against knife in a classroom that is larger than 21' and two go at it. Knife wins or draws, nearly every time. It's called the Tuellar Drill. A blunt instrument can be substituted - tire iron. Same result. The knife or iron is padded and the gun shoots cigarette filters. Still hurts, and leaves a bruise. The purpose is to disavow the happy-go-lucky gunman of any idea that he is always superior.  :-\

I've been bruised, bruised a few, and have been completely disavowed of the idea that a gun is always superior in close quarters. You wouldn't guess that a cigarette filter could raise such a welt!  :o

So, take your tire iron into your RV and sleep well. You are armed!  :o

Ray D  ;D

By the way, a formidable dog is in his element, in close quarters. Dog beats gun and just about any other weapon, there!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:32:16 AM by Ray D »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 03:23:54 AM »
Ray,

Interesting stuff from Sergeant Tueller.

Hosted by Over The Network